Your first film

Northam Saint said:
mattlad said:
The first film that I can remember was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when I was about 4.

Same here. Apparently they had some sort of projection system that projected the film on the walls around the cinema, at the start when the cars are racing.

On a related note, if anyone is in Nottingham then if you go to the Victoria Centre you'll see a mechanical clock designed by Rowland Emett who was the man who designed the inventions of Caractacus Potts in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

It's called the Aqua Horological Tintinnabulator.

Just as a 'heads up' the clock is being restored at the moment to go into an exhibition of Emett's work but should be back some time next year.

It is as much a part of the city as Lace, Raleigh, Brian Clough and Robin Hood.

UKRob said:
Not sure if this qualifies but Saturday morning matinees were my first experience of the picture house and Flash Gordon was the serial. This was the original with Buster Crab,

That series was a big deal to a Chicago kid watching tv on a Sunday morning. There were 5 tv channels back then and one was Public Television, which kids never watched anyway. Heh, no Sesame street and nothing to ever interest a kid.

Sunday morning was Church day on tv, and you had a couple religious things going on....Bishop Sheen and the like. Brutal for a young'un to watch.....impossible actually.

Before Flash Gordon came on we had wrestling, which was also great. Otherwise Sunday was a bust out.

Here......try the first few minutes and then skip to the 7 minute mark to the end for a slice of nostalgia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRa36DV6zJ8

Heh, sounds kinda like Wagner, but it ain't. One of my favorite classical pieces and this version is a good one. Very grand, almost regal like interpretation. Music fitting of Queen Azura, which was often played when in her throne room.

Martin

im sure there were earlier films my parents took me to see - but i do recall "The Railway Children" but it must have been a re-run or something since it was out 3 years before i was born.

which makes no sense to me - i think my memory is somewhat screwed!

dodgy said:
UKRob said:
Not sure if this qualifies but Saturday morning matinees were my first experience of the picture house and Flash Gordon was the serial. This was the original with Buster Crab,

That series was a big deal to a Chicago kid watching tv on a Sunday morning. There were 5 tv channels back then and one was Public Television, which kids never watched anyway. Heh, no Sesame street and nothing to ever interest a kid.

Sunday morning was Church day on tv, and you had a couple religious things going on....Bishop Sheen and the like. Brutal for a young'un to watch.....impossible actually.

Before Flash Gordon came on we had wrestling, which was also great. Otherwise Sunday was a bust out.

Here......try the first few minutes and then skip to the 7 minute mark to the end for a slice of nostalgia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRa36DV6zJ8

Heh, sounds kinda like Wagner, but it ain't. One of my favorite classical pieces and this version is a good one. Very grand, almost regal like interpretation. Music fitting of Queen Azura, which was often played when in her thrown room.

Martin

It would have been about 1956 or so when I watched these - and they must have been 20 years old by then. Whatever happened to Buster Crabb?

UKRob said:
It would have been about 1956 or so when I watched these - and they must have been 20 years old by then.

Little Marty was 7 years old and that show was great. Only problem was if you missed an episode.....you were screwed when it came to seeing it anytime soon.

Martin, It was better back then to light one little candle than to curse the darkness. Loved that red outfit he wore.
You had 5 TV channels when you were a kid.. Wow! I had 1 until I can't remember when!!! Then it was the Bow Tie and the converter box!

I remember those Saturday matinee's Rob Flash Gordon the three Stooges Champion the Wonder Horse and Johnny Wiessmuller has Tarzan, queuing up at the local ABC minors every Saturday morning.

pugh-the-special-one said:
I remember those Saturday matinee's Rob Flash Gordon the three Stooges Champion the Wonder Horse and Johnny Wiessmuller has Tarzan, queuing up at the local ABC minors every Saturday morning.

Alltogether everybody:

'We are the girls and boys all known as,
Minors of the ABC,
And every Saturday all line up,
To see the things we like and shout aloud with glee.
We like to come and have our sing song,
Just a happy crowd are we,
We're all pals together,
We're minors of the ABC.'

Jamie, you forgot Hopalong Cassidy. I wonder where the inspiration for a Cowboy with a limp came from?

Some more - Zorro and Batman. If the main feature was a cowboy serial, on the way home everyone would do that two-legged horse gallop where you smack your own arse.

Back
Top Bottom