Shaving
Pens

In the past there has also been:

Tabletop games
Bayonets
Bicycles

And a constant which can't really be considered a hobby

Booze

I play bass, but for some reason, I've never felt the need to own more than one at a time.

Is it Iron Shirt type of stuff?

I used to cross-train with a few Wing Chun lads who were students of Derrek Frearson, Alan Orr, Larry Tuck, Mick Yates and others who were doing that sort of thing.
Yeah..Chi Gung is a Part of Iron Shirt Training..Win Chun is an Internal Martial Arts System..There are Few that Teach it that Way these Days or have the Traditional Teachings..Win Chun is a Great System..:)

Billy

Cycling (few purchases but normally large outlays)
Shaving (lots of purchases but normally small outlays)
Camping/Outdoors (varies, from £50 on a Fleece to £800 on a tent)

For me, I guess the first two are easy.
  • Wet Shaving (relatively new, but I think going to stick)
  • Vaping (most aspects, including mixing, `science` and advocacy)
Then it becomes a little more tricky so I'll call out this set as one
  • {Reading, Music, Medieval History, Nature}
Then I'll sneak in
  • Stability (health) / Sustaining productive purpose (I have a chronic condition which has resulted me being in a quasi-retired state, although I aspire to return to work)

Did Wing Chun for a couple of months. Seemed very effective and efficient (within certain limits) from what I saw. Enjoyed some of their drills but the mentallity of the modern martial artist didn't sit very well with my own. If I deviated from the usual "you do this, then I do that" structure during free sparring (like chucking in a tai otshi or arm bar from my judo days) they'd get flumoxed, spit their dummies out and say I was cheating.

The lads who knew the score were good to train with though, and they gave as good as they got, we learned a bit from each other and became better all-rounders as a result.
It's why Bruce Lee started up that Jeet Kun Do thing, the 'Way with no Way' because all the other styles were too traditional and formulaic, so he said. Anyway.....

1. The wife's shoes
2. The wife's handbags
3. Random shaving tat.

1) watching football, home and aways. This next season coming up though, I'm going to have have to give up aways so as to help number 3.

2) wet shaving.

3) saving money for a deposit for a house. Basically results in no social life and number 1 & 2 as my only outlet of manliness.

No.1 Has to be the same as 'mand', HiFi/Music. HiFi can make shaving look like a penny past time if you let it, likewise collecting vinyl albums.

No.2 The motorbike. Too much riding and not enough TLC recently so had to throw something at it to give some lurve..........and to keep it on the right side of 'road worthy'. A new exhaust to keep it on the right side of 'socially unworthy'

No.3 Art. Can be expensive once in a while to top up on materials and supplies especially canvas and paints. It doesn't help that most things I paint now tend to be over 4ft x 4ft and up to 6ft+ so more material costs.

My most interesting hobby these days is achieving regular bowel movements. Cheap as chips, but can be a strain...

JohnnyO. o/

Hiya doin Johnny,

Boy ain't it the truth, you old geezer. Sometimes it's the simple things...the take for granted sorta things that make a difference in daily living quality. I learned about staying regular after a bad experience with opiates backing me up crazy awful bad. Man, that was a nasty experience but that won't happen again because now I know what to take to compensate.

Peeing without restraint is another pretty nice option, which has been great for me recently. That's opposed to not being able to piss at all or tiny little dribbles if that much. Also getting up a LOT at night to pee. I was telling Carl the other day about me not taking any bodily function for granted anymore.....heh.

Sheesh,

Mertoni

1) Wet shaving
2) Flying/aviation (I'm lumping model aviation in here as well because while I'm forking over $300/hr for flight training, it's a career change for me)
3) Shooting/firearms

I also ride motorcycles (wife has a car, I have sport bikes), but other than maintenance items, I don't accessorize them much, so I don't really count that. Hard to imagine life without two wheels though!

Back
Top Bottom