Your Xmas Menu/Meat curing thread

Re: Your'e Xmas Menu...

Starter - some venison terrine thing the missus has made

Main - suckling pig (starting to get nervous about cooking this now), roast tatties, broccoli, glazed carrots, stuffing, apple sauce, and BLOODY SPROUTS

Dessert - Christmas Pudding if it hasn't rotted in the shed.

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat said:
Why can't anyone around here have a turkey

Because it's bland & can be dry, impossible to make proper gravy with and frankly not eaten at any other time of the year here for those reasons. I see no good reason to "fall in" because everyone else is :mrgreen:

In the past I've cooked a turkey breast with a piece of Belly pork on top. That way we have Turkey, with crackling and excellent gravy!

breakfast - Lidl's finest champagne

dinner - avocado\prawn cocktail starter
turkey and all the trimmings for main
Cartmel sticky toffee pudding

general scoffing of selection box goodies throughout the night and alkyhol

prawn cocktail
turkey all the trimmings
christmas pud.brandy sauce
cheese/biscuits
handfulls of peanuts throughout the day to soak the booze up.. :D Crackin..
Oh and tonight the chinease takeaway as usual..

Have a great xmas everyone and an even better new year...

Well, we had a lot :lol: everyone here (who celebrates christmas) eats smorgasboard.

Big ass ham is the most common rule (we had a 5 kilo ham this year). We also had: meatballs, pickled herring (5 kinds), spareribs, big paté, small frying sausage, different kinds of chease (Blue Stilton and wiskey cheddar this year), herring sallad (don´t ask), salmon cured in salt and sugar, potato and several different deserts and after that the chocolate and then cake ... :shock: I was so full up :lol:

Mikael said:
Well, we had a lot :lol: everyone here (who celebrates christmas) eats smorgasboard.

Big ass ham is the most common rule (we had a 5 kilo ham this year). We also had: meatballs, pickled herring (5 kinds), spareribs, big paté, small frying sausage, different kinds of chease (Blue Stilton and wiskey cheddar this year), herring sallad (don´t ask), salmon cured in salt and sugar, potato and several different deserts and after that the chocolate and then cake ... :shock: I was so full up :lol:

No Surströmming? I'm disappointed :lol:

cheese_dave said:
Man alive it was good... this is only a third of it.

Man that looks the business,been flicking through that book you recommended, Meat bloody good so far..how the hell did you fit that in the oven..

Good point even a piglet will be too big for average cooker. CD must have a range cooker.

Looks very good CD, what did you flavour it with in the end?

The secret's out, the "piglet" didn't fit in the oven at all - and we only have a normal oven. I'd asked for one about 12-15lbs, the one I got was 38lbs. I had to cut it into 3 parts; the head and forelimbs, the "saddle" (plus most of the ribs), and the rump and rear legs. The head and the saddle went into the oven, and the back part went into the boot of my car which was, thanks to the cold weather, effectively another fridge.

How to cook it was another bogey. I have no cook books with "how to cook suckling pig" recipes, so was reduced to the many and contradictory handy hints and top tips on the interweb. I finally compromised on a recipe by Mark Hix (who I have a lot of time for), useful tips from Pugh's Piglets website, and my own meat cookery experiences (mostly gleaned from the excellent Meat - glad you're liking it, Slash). I rubbed a couple of handfulls of rock salt crystals over the two sections for the oven, left them for half an hour (helps dry the skin out and improve the crackling), then rubbed the skin thoroughly with olive oil, stuffed the cavities with rosemary and garlic bulbs cut in half, and hoyed them into the oven at 200C. They only just fitted, with a drip tray underneath to catch the juices which I used to make gravy. Also, later on in the cooking process, I managed to jam a tray of roast potatoes underneath. I dropped the temperature after a while, as recommended in Meat, then checked every so often to make sure the crackling was developing.

The butcher had lent me a meat temperature probe, telling me, "73 degrees at the thickest point and it's done". After what I estimated to be the correct amount cooking time (approx 2 hours 40 mins), I checked with the probe, and the temperature was 74 degrees. Man alive I laughed my head off, I'd got it spot on.

We ate the meat off the saddle (you could almost carve it with a spoon, and the crackling was pants-wettingly good). The meat from the head portion I picked off later, and that's gone into the fridge - gonna make a curry with it tonight, and any more left over will go into a pie. As for the back part, which was in the car, I cut as much viable meat from the body as I could (into the freezer for future use), but I've cut the back legs off whole and I'm going to have a go at making air-dried hams, something I've wanted to do for a while now. They're in the shed at the moment, in a big tub full of salt.

I'm really happy with how it went, and I really feel that I've done right by that piglet. It only had a short life and I wanted to make sure that I honoured it by cooking it well and not wasting any of it. I have it's kidneys too, they'll either go into a pie or help flavour a gravy.

And, of course, I now have the biggest set of balls, cos I can tell people I've cooked a suckling pig :hungrig

Problem is, where do I go from here...?

You gotta shoot or hunt the pig yourself next time of course...

url

Back
Top Bottom