Acquisitions - April 2024

20240424_163417.jpg

After enjoying the conversation at the start of this thread about Boar brushes, I was enabled to buy this and add it to my collection plus I don't own a Wild Boar.
For the price it's a superb brush (less than two Starbucks coffees) and will probably be just one of many new Piggies heading to my Den.
I will be ordering the Shaving factory one on Friday before the stock goes as well as a few blades I wish to stock up on and try.

View attachment 119748

After enjoying the conversation at the start of this thread about Boar brushes, I was enabled to buy this and add it to my collection plus I don't own a Wild Boar.
For the price it's a superb brush (less than two Starbucks coffees) and will probably be just one of many new Piggies heading to my Den.
I will be ordering the Shaving factory one on Friday before the stock goes as well as a few blades I wish to stock up on and try.

Nice one!

The Goodfellas Smile and the Shave Factory are quite different. After only a couple of uses, the Shave Factory softened up even more. Personally, I like that as my technique is over-loading and then building a minimal but tight/thick lather and painting. But sometimes, I do like a damn good scrub and that's where the Goodfellas Smile comes in with a stronger backbone.

As I said in SOTD, there is a sweet-spot to be found with the longer loft Omega and I think it's very well suited to wide-mouth bowl croaps. Good loading and build loadsa lather!

Have fun with these - I think they're a smashing pair of brushes.

I also re--bought the Proraso, which to my face is somewhere in the middle but more towards the Shave Factory. And in that, it's sorta not got a place. With the two, you have choices ... with three, I think the Proraso will probably sit largely unused.

Nice one!

The Goodfellas Smile and the Shave Factory are quite different. After only a couple of uses, the Shave Factory softened up even more. Personally, I like that as my technique is over-loading and then building a minimal but tight/thick lather and painting. But sometimes, I do like a damn good scrub and that's where the Goodfellas Smile comes in with a stronger backbone.

As I said in SOTD, there is a sweet-spot to be found with the longer loft Omega and I think it's very well suited to wide-mouth bowl croaps. Good loading and build loadsa lather!

Have fun with these - I think they're a smashing pair of brushes.

I also re--bought the Proraso, which to my face is somewhere in the middle but more towards the Shave Factory. And in that, it's sorta not got a place. With the two, you have choices ... with three, I think the Proraso will probably sit largely unused.
I look forward to learning the little quirks of each brush. (That's probably why I love this hobby so much, all the little experiments and combinations. )
I never write anything off too quickly because I have found it's just a matter of getting used to something completely different to my normal gear.
The Omega has the longest loft in my collection and I have remember to treat it differently.

I was delivered a few razors today.

An all brass Star Model 100. The pictures are taken before I gave the razor a scrub. After it was cleaned it looks in great condition.

1000013940.jpg

And inside
1000013942.jpg

There was an all brass Gillette Tech as well. Which looked good from the outside...
1000013941.jpg

Then I unscrewed the top cap to see the following...1000013939.jpg

Arrgghh! The rustiest razor I have ever seen! I was able to clean off most of it from it the baseplate, but there was a lot of crust on the top cap. I've soaked both in WD40 and I will give it a go tomorrow.

The pot luck of buying razors from eBay continues. I'm not sure I understand why I continue to do so. I think I should give up buying vintage razors and buy shiny brand new ones instead!

I was delivered a few razors today.

An all brass Star Model 100. The pictures are taken before I gave the razor a scrub. After it was cleaned it looks in great condition.

View attachment 119758

And inside
View attachment 119756

There was an all brass Gillette Tech as well. Which looked good from the outside...
View attachment 119757

Then I unscrewed the top cap to see the following...View attachment 119759

Arrgghh! The rustiest razor I have ever seen! I was able to clean off most of it from it the baseplate, but there was a lot of crust on the top cap. I've soaked both in WD40 and I will give it a go tomorrow.

The pot luck of buying razors from eBay continues. I'm not sure I understand why I continue to do so. I think I should give up buying vintage razors and buy shiny brand new ones instead!
The Star cap is zamak, but it's a good shaver. (y)

Heavy handle?

Yes, it has a nice feel to it. I have a few Star Personna razors that have superb razor heads but with incredibly light aluminium handles, I will use this handle with those heads.

I believe that makes it an Embassy (set/model):

AP1GczNkQWj2tMjFsf7MSMG6Jmh0HUW1vzTRv87ryj6d3GtwhV9belACMbCWawKFB0HZ7eHr1xvuc8Q4AoEhfI_snlgeMGi_LfEug44n-fMdJA-M7GU1VLvDe8YZMxmz2w3lOJqT4QsbEFrHWDMvF3UxAXdJYA=w800

AP1GczM-oqv7KY-vNZ-22AAk28ar9ZiWtt4E6_2eKBQ4hD4s00iAGHfD668zMM03uiIBpkgxLgEGwZpuqX8NYfUx0lnCEXUxo7nCFi72U_AFQ15RIXKxse2K4OhiDBJgUOdZVKakZRt4svzWjz2Tb-U1HU-iVg=w800

... or Star Micromatic Razor. See this guarantee that came with my *Star* as a point of reference.

AL9nZEXPk_PU3IogXQSfBJ4sqX-d9BU42hSoCc2OzuswALIIrGKpZyoFWZS2D_BTx2LwFqfO_pHESTxbL4DihH8Bz2aNPDucCzdayrjvmC4T1kd7WqOn2uyK4TYbQO3WdQ28v8_bAfaBGVDM820anaFGkx_PAg=w800

Last edited:
One of mine isn't as healthy as I'd like.

View attachment 119781

Is this is US/UK difference?

See: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/asr-double-edge-razor-weights.57595/ which details American caps as 2g lighter than British caps (9g versus 11g). In fact the later British caps were all heavier still at 13g.

I'm looking at the late PAL & Star caps that I have (the etched ones) and materially, it sounds like the brass baseplate when struck. My American caps make a different sound with less "sing". I do have an earlier Personna with a cap that is most definitely brass and that's even a tad heavier (at 15g).

What all that means, dunno?

Looking at them with a magnifier, my mint American cap shows no sign of any damage but the other is starting to look like yours. My British PAL and Star are well used but have no signs of decay.

Maybe the British ones have brass posts?

Just received my first foray into Razorock.
Got the Bulldog and Barberpole handles with the Bruce brush.
This is to reduce the weight on my Timeless SS razor and with a quick test of how it handles,
the new handles seem to have been doing the trick.
Plenty of grip. Brush feels super soft. Next on the purchase list is the Gamechanger.... Waiting for payday.
2024-04-25-16-26-11-052.jpg
2024-04-25-16-26-25-072.jpg
2024-04-25-16-26-34-457.jpg
2024-04-25-16-26-50-689.jpg
2024-04-25-16-26-59-571.jpg

One of mine isn't as healthy as I'd like.

View attachment 119781

I got out my other Star made razors, one branded with Personna on the top and the other Star.

The top of both
1000014004.jpg

The underside of both

1000014005.jpg

The one on the left is definitely zamak and has some wear to it. The one on the right looks near enough perfect. That could be down to less usage over the years but it seems to be a touch heavier.

Back
Top Bottom