Advice on watches

As a going away present my dad has offered to buy me a watch.

The budget is between £100-200.

Now I know nothing about watches, and would just like some advice on what people think the best watch I could get for this price range.

I currently wear a swatch that I quite like, do they do any good ones ?

I've heard Seiko and Citizen do some nice watches, can anyone advise me on these ?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Deckchair_Blue said:
I actually don't know what the difference between the 2 are ?

Is one better than the other ?

Quartz will run from a battery, or solar power.

Mechanical watches need either winding or wearing (in the case of an automatic) to keep them going.

Quartz is generally cheaper, more accurate and more convenient
Mechanical is generally more "alive" and "interesting", but that is subjective. They also need servicing every few years.

After looking round during my night shift (not much else to do) I think I would prefer a mechanical movement, preferably an automatic.

I don't want one that looks too 'blingy' as I would like to wear it everyday, I would like it to show the date.

I prefer quite simple looking watches, I currently wear a Swatch White Rebel and bought it for the reason that it looked simple.

Thanks for any advice

Seiko 5 all the way, I am doing an Horology (watchmaking) course at the moment and Seiko 5 as antdad says are bombproof mechanical watches.
A mechanical watch will hold it's value alot better than a quartz too.

Good thing about the Seiko is that you will probably get 10 years out of it before it needs a service.

Just to echo what the others said, at this price point Seiko make great autos. My "Monster" is tough as nails.

I have had this (quartz) Rotary for 23 years now, and it has been great.

It did cost many times the top end of your budget though, so I cannot say how lower priced Rotary pieces will last. They have been around for many years though.

To be honest,mechanical and under £200? I really wouldn't look far beyond Seiko. Creation Watches often has very good prices on its site, and the service from there is very good.

I've gone for the 'orange monster', I felt the orange face makes it stand out a bit more.

Now I would like a leather strap for it as I prefer leather to the steel bracelets, I've seen the Hirsch Liberty ones which I quite like, does anyone know where I could get a one/or similar but with orange stitching ?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/leather-strap-orange-monster-401855.html

Much like the one on the watch pictured there

Deckchair_Blue said:
I've gone for the 'orange monster', I felt the orange face makes it stand out a bit more.

Now I would like a leather strap for it as I prefer leather to the steel bracelets, I've seen the Hirsch Liberty ones which I quite like, does anyone know where I could get a one/or similar but with orange stitching ?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/leather-strap-orange-monster-401855.html

Much like the one on the watch pictured there

Good man. Leather strap? Check out Toshi Straps. Made to order in the UK. Pick out your own leather and stitching combination.i have one and it feels like it will last for ever!

With its open lugs the Monsterisnreally easy to change straps with. NATOs are a good choice for swimming etc.

I have purchased a few straps from this site. Always very good quality, really recommend them.
I have put one on my Tag as originals cost a fortune and I can not really tell the difference
http://www.watchworx.co.uk/index.html

Back
Top Bottom