de Buyer fry pans

I should say so. I spent years buying cheapo or gimmicky pans, trying to find the ultimate non-stick, etc. They all ended up in the bin.

Scanpan Classic pans have a titanium coated non-stick surface. So even if something does stick to them (and something always does), you can wire-brush it off and not affect the surface.

I got these: http://www.silvernutmeg.com/FullPro...canpan_Classic_Titanium_Nonstick_Saucepan_Set

Plus a frying pan. They're not cheap, but when I consider how long I've had them, it turns into pennies really. I'm pretty happy with them.

It's good to have a decent non stick pan in your repertoire for low to medium heat cooking.

Despite manufacturers claims, I still would not want to shove a plastic handled or teflon coated anything in a very hot oven or under a grill.

I'd still go for heavy based stainless saute pan and or a couple of carbon steel lyonaise style pans for durability, once they have been seasoned, developed their own non stick patina they are as non stick as non stick.

I have carbonated products in them, used them on coals and in pizza ovens, they are fairly faultless and will outlast you.

I have a patin'ed carbon steel wok, it pretty much rocks bells.

My problem is a SWMBO who doesn't know how to look after pans properly, so I went for a compromise of durability, non-stick, and user-friendly. The Scan pans are ovenproof to 260C, though it is possible to shatter the glass lid of one into a hundred thousand pieces by dropping it from the height of ooh say the average SWMBO's clumsy hand.

Yeah right...you bought those pans for yourself and we know it. ;)

There's just one problem with non stick as far I can see...you're encouraged to use little or no fat which is fine if what your cooking is perfectly flat. As well as lubricating the surface, fat also brings the uneven surface of the food into even contact with the heat. If you then use more fat then there's not much point in having a non stick surface.

Only kidding...but there's only so many omelette's a man can eat.

The 10" fry pan is coming along fine, until I tried frying some eggs yesterday. This might change as it get older & broken in and patinaed...

fozz77 said:
The 10" fry pan is coming along fine, until I tried frying some eggs yesterday. This might change as it get older & broken in and patinaed...

What do de Buyer recommend?
Have you given it the "seasoning" treatment, usually a couple of hours heating with corn oil?

hando said:
cheese_dave said:
Those and me Global knives.

got some of those for the wife while she was working in the kitchens, she said they were too good for work :roll:

quality blades though
I told my missus she had to be damn careful with those Globals. Went round telling everyone it wouldn't be long before there was blood and tears.

I was right. It was mine though.

antdad said:
fozz77 said:

What do de Buyer recommend?
Have you given it the "seasoning" treatment, usually a couple of hours heating with corn oil?

I have followed their instructions of boiling potatoe peals in water & then oiling the pan. It is fine with other items. Maybe it was a tad too hot when the egg went in or maybe not enough oil..

Back
Top Bottom