Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black)

419Q12ACRSL.jpg

I can't make up my mind. Been using one all week in an R41GS. I've had good results. Very smooth and close with no irritation. But, I can't warm to this blade. It got better as the week went on, but it seemed a bit rough compared to my favorite blades, albeit while shaving very well. Not what I expected...

Would be interested to hear what other people think. Maybe not the best razor / blade combination?

I've encountered what I call a "fierceness, like a playful tiger" with a number of Indian blades. Generally, they are sharp! Lighten your touch just a bit more than you would otherwise? I actually like that blade-feel, especially with simple stainless offerings and (again, generally) Indian Super Platinums do have more of a face-feel ... across brands.

In something like an R41, the blade is very much let loose. You'll feel that, I suppose, in a more amplified way.

I've encountered what I call a "fierceness, like a playful tiger" with a number of Indian blades. Generally, they are sharp! Lighten your touch just a bit more than you would otherwise? I actually like that blade-feel, especially with simple stainless offerings and (again, generally) Indian Super Platinums do have more of a face-feel ... across brands.

In something like an R41, the blade is very much let loose. You'll feel that, I suppose, in a more amplified way.

I tend to be very light handed when shaving, given the razors I use. Perhaps its just a preference thing...

I tend to be very light handed when shaving, given the razors I use. Perhaps its just a preference thing...

I'm not really one for using more assertive razors, I think the only one I have and I quite like using is the Yaqi Katana, which is supposed to be R41 aggressive. I've used a number of blades with it, and I largely found the sharper blades to be almost unusable in it. However, the Yaqi Katana pairs beautifully with Lord blades.

I like the 7 Black, but I would only use it with a mild razor like a Gillette Tech.

If you are getting roughness out of any Gillette top tier blade it's either your prep, technique or simply using a razor far more aggressive than you need. Bank on it. ;)

From all these comments it sounds like I should try it again.

Perhaps roughness was the wrong word and it was more like the feeling @pjgh mentioned above. After all, there was no irritation- it just a “different” feeling.

I’ll try one next time I use my 6S. I find that good for trying new blades,

If you are getting roughness out of any Gillette top tier blade it's either your prep, technique or simply using a razor far more aggressive than you need. Bank on it. ;)
I disagree.
The Yellow and Green Gillette blades are rough as **** for me. All the other Gillettes I've tried; GSB, Indian Black, Platinum etc are really smooth.
We are all different, and have different reactions to various blades. I'm astonished every time someone says they can get a decent shave out of a Derby blade. They are an absolute nightmare for me, yet blades like a Feather, Bic Chrome Platinum, Shark Super Stainless and many others work brilliantly for me.

I disagree.
The Yellow and Green Gillette blades are rough as **** for me. All the other Gillettes I've tried; GSB, Indian Black, Platinum etc are really smooth.
We are all different, and have different reactions to various blades. I'm astonished every time someone says they can get a decent shave out of a Derby blade. They are an absolute nightmare for me, yet blades like a Feather, Bic Chrome Platinum, Shark Super Stainless and many others work brilliantly for me.

I agree, we are all different

I also dislike Derby and love the Shark SS (my favourite blade). Im always amazed by how many people dislike them.

I also dislike Derby and love the Shark SS (my favourite blade). Im always amazed by how many people dislike them.

I like the Shark Super Stainless a lot also. Have you tried the very pedestrian SuperMax Super Stainless in the blue packaging that bears a passing resemblance to the Wizamet packaging? Or better, the even lowlier SuperMax Stainless in the burgundy/yellow packaging, which I believe is the same blade aimed at Barbers, but lacks the word "super" on the packaging, which might point to a material difference. I like both of those, too ... almost as if Lord showed SuperMax how to make a Shark.

Derby green, horrible for me ... but Derby Premium? Now, there's a blade of which I bought a pillar pack!

Back
Top Bottom