Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black)

I disagree.
The Yellow and Green Gillette blades are rough as **** for me.

Likewise, I found both of these very uncomfortable ... and having been recommended both when I first came to traditional shaving (having taken my very first step with the Merkur blade included in my 23C) I did start to wonder if traditional shaving really was for me. Thankfully, I found SuperMax and that was night and day different. Since then, I've tried the whole lot from Gillette and not found one amongst the Russians that I actually liked*.

... but something might have changed of late.

I have the Rubie and the yellow pack in the new etched blade format and actually liked both. I tried the older blades back to back and maintained my low opinion of both from that older stock. Maybe things have changed. Two which I thought were horrendous were the Astra pair (the stainless mildy better ... no, less bad than the platinum) but I also have the new(er) laser etched still to try. Maybe they're dramatically better like the Rubie and the yellow. Kinda moot as the Astra brand is now made in India (exclusively? dunno) which is a big plus for me.

I'd come to a sort of conclusion a few years back that you were either a Russian or an Indian face when it came to shaving. I observed quite clearly that folks that raved about the Russian Gillettes spoke lowly and even negatively about Indian blades (and that sorta included Egyptian and Turkish), even Gillette. That said, Russian Gillette fanciers also spoke negatively about Rapira. But, yes, folks that liked Indian Gillettes also seemed to rate Lord, Shark, et al.

*Naturally, there are MANY exceptions, but that did seem to be a broad conclusion. My personal exception is the Russian Gillette PermaSharp Super, which is one of my absolute favourites and practically a must-have. Given its market was/is Middle East, maybe that's why? Neatly lining up @Bogeyman to tell us "they're all the same blade" ... and I agree. But I also disagree. Complex, innit?

I like the Shark Super Stainless a lot also. Have you tried the very pedestrian SuperMax Super Stainless in the blue packaging that bears a passing resemblance to the Wizamet packaging? Or better, the even lowlier SuperMax Stainless in the burgundy/yellow packaging, which I believe is the same blade aimed at Barbers, but lacks the word "super" on the packaging, which might point to a material difference. I like both of those, too ... almost as if Lord showed SuperMax how to make a Shark.

Derby green, horrible for me ... but Derby Premium? Now, there's a blade of which I bought a pillar pack!

I’ve not tried those. Got loads to work through, so might try those in the next “mixed purchase”...

Never liked the Gillette Yellow or Green. Do the the Indian Black but prefer the Nacet & Gillette Platinum. As for Lord blades, the Platinum is very smooth indeed but lacks a certain efficiency whereas the Silver Star is all round glorious.

I like the Shark Super Stainless a lot also. Have you tried the very pedestrian SuperMax Super Stainless in the blue packaging that bears a passing resemblance to the Wizamet packaging? Or better, the even lowlier SuperMax Stainless in the burgundy/yellow packaging...
I have 300 GSB's, 200 Polsilver SI's, 200 Gillette Indian Black, 100 Feathers and various other to get through, so I am definitely, 100% certain, with total confidence, that I will not be buying any more DE blades! ;)

When the constant hoohaa around if Gillette was going to keep making Polsilvers started hitting the shaving world many years ago I went on a quest for a reputable replacement. This blade and Personna Med Preps are what I settled on. The Blacks were around $20 per 100 at the time, but I found that acceptable. Now the price has soared and I may be looking again. I can buy Wizamets cheaper.

Never liked the Gillette Yellow or Green. Do the the Indian Black but prefer the Nacet & Gillette Platinum. As for Lord blades, the Platinum is very smooth indeed but lacks a certain efficiency whereas the Silver Star is all round glorious.
Graeme you say you don’t like the Green as i would always expect from you :p
But remember there is two different Greens,
there is one i like & one i don’t like but can’t remember off hand which one

Edit
I think the one i like is permasharp stainless & not the super stainless

Graeme you say you don’t like the Green as i would always expect from you :p
But remember there is two different Greens,
there is one i like & one i don’t like but can’t remember off hand which one

Edit
I think the one i like is permasharp stainless & not the super stainless

Yeah that is my experience as well.

Permasharp Stainless is like a sharper Nacet. Works well for mild razor heads.

Back
Top Bottom