Glasgow West End ( & Morrisons Fort ) wet shaving supplies walkabout.

Bish

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Folks,

Just sharing my haul, as i had a beard for best part of ten years, when i came back to shaving recently i realised that the Palmolive shave stick had been discontinued, went onto ebay and the scalpers were in full force, ten pounds a stick.

I figured some independant stores may have some old stock on their shelves so i set out to the west end of Glasgow Scotland to see if my thought process was correct, below is what i found over visiting 10 stores within a mile or so, whilst cartridge and spray foam was prominant, i did find some stuff fairly easy and as such i was encouraged that safety/straight razor wet shaving is still relevant.

Palmolive shave cream tube - Morrisons Glasgow Fort ( £2 )
Palmolive shave stick & Noxema ( £0.79 Palmolive, Noxema was £1.79 ) corner shop
Boots blades ( £2 for 10, says made in Germany, not sure who makes them? maybe Wilkie factory? )
Wilkinson Sword 10 pack ( £2.89 ) Boots
Wilkinson Shave bowl ( £4.60 ) Boots
Wilkinson Sword 5 pack ( Hardware store, watched him open the box, charged me £1. )

Glasgow shopping trip resized image.jpg

would you mind sharing the address of the corner shop with Palmolive sticks if they still had more?
Hi Semi,

there was only 1 left and the box is damaged, but the shop was Partick Superstore at the Kelvinhall Subway station, fairly certain if you walked up Byres road you would find more, i checked from Sainsburys West end retail park to the bottom of Byres road, Including Morrisons, and bar the Palmolive shave cream i got all of the above.
Also i went on a sunday so some of the stores and Chemists were shut, ,most likely there will be more.

1725829268059.png

there was only 1 left and the box is damaged, but the shop was Partick Superstore at the Kelvinhall Subway station.
it was still there when I was over there today so I had to pick it up. thanks for the legwork finding it. I had a look on byres road but nowhere had anything else.

PXL_20240921_143137031.jpg

Hi Folks,

Just sharing my haul, as i had a beard for best part of ten years, when i came back to shaving recently i realised that the Palmolive shave stick had been discontinued, went onto ebay and the scalpers were in full force, ten pounds a stick.

I figured some independant stores may have some old stock on their shelves so i set out to the west end of Glasgow Scotland to see if my thought process was correct, below is what i found over visiting 10 stores within a mile or so, whilst cartridge and spray foam was prominant, i did find some stuff fairly easy and as such i was encouraged that safety/straight razor wet shaving is still relevant.

Palmolive shave cream tube - Morrisons Glasgow Fort ( £2 )
Palmolive shave stick & Noxema ( £0.79 Palmolive, Noxema was £1.79 ) corner shop
Boots blades ( £2 for 10, says made in Germany, not sure who makes them? maybe Wilkie factory? )
Wilkinson Sword 10 pack ( £2.89 ) Boots
Wilkinson Shave bowl ( £4.60 ) Boots
Wilkinson Sword 5 pack ( Hardware store, watched him open the box, charged me £1. )

View attachment 125050
Interesting findings B. - On Viccy Road you can turn up Arko sticks in a few of the general grocery shops - neither of the Boots carry the Freshwood range anymore - I believe from reading elsewhere here that it has been discontinued? I think I got the last of the aftershave - sorry about that. Your best bet is having a look in the myriad Turkish barbers - incidentally mostly run by Kurds, which I suppose can be technically Turkish - all manner of interesting colognes in a variety of bright colours with labels I can't read. I have a lemon citrus one which is very good if I'm in a citrusy frame of mind. That came from the barbers with the canaries on Bowman St. I've not made an exhaustive survey - that's just what's obvious.

Cheers - best - I.

@semi

if you're looking for Turkish goodies, there's a salon/barber supply shop on bridge street. you can get the whole box of arko sticks there. and yeah, loads of different brands of kolonya. they mostly do trade (so maybe where the barbers in victoria road get their supplies? who knows) but have the retail prices listed as well.

Back
Top Bottom