:hungrig Weirdest Food you've ever eaten :hungrig

Filipinos have a harmless enough looking duck egg called balut. Only you crack it open and it's a partly formed duckling cooked in the shell and consumed in it's entirety like some avian veal.I was at a filipino wedding and had to eat one to be polite.
There is some gourmet coffee at insane prices that is popular in the US. Some wild cat eats the beans, poops them out and they are gathered. Supposedly the kitty cat's intestinal acids modifies the bean. No, I haven't tried it ( pours a cuppa Earl Grey from my Sadler Brown Betty.)
I was on the arctic coast in service visiting a inuit camp. They offered us whale blubber. Everyone refused, including a wildlife biologist.I ate a modest serving and they opened up to me like family while ignoring the entire team. I am a radical environmentalist today myself, boycott many japanese products over the whale hunt. But I knew well before my degree in anthropology food is a powerfull tool.
Aussie vegamite and a english spread I cannot remember: let's call this one a draw. I saw a english girl turn green trying peanut butter. :mrgreen:

Kav said:
Aussie vegamite and a english spread I cannot remember: let's call this one a draw. I saw a english girl turn green trying peanut butter. :mrgreen:

Marmite, perhaps? Yummy stuff.

Well she should turn green (with envy!) if she was used to eating the brit version of PB, and then had some proper North American PB ... the stuff over here is pretty mucky (<- understatement).

Marmite- that's the stuff. Peanut butter is actually VERY dangerous to a small percentile of people allergic to it. A teen girl died last year after kissing her boyfriend who ate some earlier! Products are now labeled if they are prepared on the same machinery as PB. What I deeply miss is proper DUNDEE marmalade. It used to come in a milk white jar with large chuncks of orange rind. Supposedly our FDA demanded clear bottling and the jam is more pectin than orange.

Kind of related: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10592605.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ire ... 592605.stm</a><!-- m --> - FSA axed.

Oh, and weirdest food (if you can call it that) I have eaten is anything by SWMBO. HAHA.

Aaahhh.

Back
Top Bottom