:hungrig Weirdest Food you've ever eaten :hungrig

cheese_dave said:
The best of the lot was the woman who ordered lamb sweetbreads... "this isn't bread. I ordered bread." :lol:

Yup that was amusing (bouche amusing? :? :roll: ), I think it was some kind of chav restaurant. Not intending to visit inner London for the next few decades so unfortunately we'll miss out on all this fabulous Masterchef fare. Mrs PC has it on her wish-list to visit Raymond Blanc's house (Le Maison) for her fortieth. I'm currently saving a couple of hundred a month towards it, or I certainly should be! :(

antdad said:
I suppose the true test is whether you'd eat it again.

Yeah I would. I might cook the trotter for a bit longer though.

antdad said:
I have some trotters in the freezer that I don't know what to do with, do you have a good recipe?

In the past I've mostly used trotters to jelly-up stocks that I need to set (eg HFW's ox tongue and tail thing from his Meat book), or when producing that jelly in home-made pork pies.

The Gary Rhodes one I want to do is in his book "New British Classics", and takes about a week and a half to make - which is why I've not made it yet. I think he reduces a vat of red wine into "literally" a thimbleful, so that there are "lots of flavours happening in the pan".

I must study my "Nose to tail eating" book and see what there is in there...

Total cost of the ears and the tail and the trotters from the butcher? 0 pence. I had to buy some pork ribs from him because I was ashamed to walk away with a bag of freebies.

Pig Cat said:
Mrs PC has it on her wish-list to visit Raymond Blanc's house (Le Maison) for her fortieth. I'm currently saving a couple of hundred a month towards it, or I certainly should be! :(

My parents looked into going there for their 50th wedding anniversary this year. The cost of the meal didn't sound too outrageous from what I remember, but then they also added on a night at his hotel and it came out at about £600 for the two of them. So they're not going.

Blanc also has a bistro in Oxford town centre which is excellent and much more reasonable.

Your right you will need some dough to go to the four seasons, I've been but I didn't pay, we had a blow out so it came to nearly £300 quid a head including wine and that was about six or so years ago. Don't drink so much wine.

Who won Master Chef in the end? I saw a couple of programs, Indian fella, beardy fella, pudding girl?

Yarp, the current Mrs PC is dead-set on a whole weekend. She won't be satisfied until she's sampled everything on Le Menu, paced every path in Le Kitchen Garden and met the great man himself. Not Raymond, his assistant Adam. :roll: On a serious note, it is pricey but it will be a wonderful experience. And our local comprehensive isn't that bad. :?

That flakey kiddy doctor got on my tits when I saw it. Like he's going to stop being a paediatrician and work in a sweaty kitchen.

antdad said:
That flakey kiddy doctor got on my tits when I saw it. Like he's going to stop being a paediatrician and work in a sweaty kitchen.

Oh, he's a paediatrician? Well I've wasted a stamp on my letter to Points of View. :roll:

LOL - I actually believe they called him a "childrens doctor" just in case someone got the wrong end of the stick, murdered him and burned down his house! Happens every time paediatrician's are named - it's why I don't think they should ever make that register thing public - otherwise who will save our children?

Can someone please put me out of my misery. I'm going crazy here.

I remember seeing Masterchef last year.

And this guy with some stubble and short hair won it. In a semi-final he made that VERY SIMPLE but VERY cool looking dish. It was eggs and toast but it had smoke coming out of it when you lift the lid up.

HOWEVER, on this year's masterchef final, they showed the last few years of masterchef finalists and the above-mentioned guy wasn't shown!

Has my mind just created a whole series of masterchef in my sleep? Please tell me it happened.

sonny said:
Can someone please put me out of my misery. I'm going crazy here.

I remember seeing Masterchef last year.

And this guy with some stubble and short hair won it. In a semi-final he made that VERY SIMPLE but VERY cool looking dish. It was eggs and toast but it had smoke coming out of it when you lift the lid up.

HOWEVER, on this year's masterchef final, they showed the last few years of masterchef finalists and the above-mentioned guy wasn't shown!

Has my mind just created a whole series of masterchef in my sleep? Please tell me it happened.
Last year's winner was Mat Follas, the guy who looks like Fu Manchu and was serving up in his own restaurant The Wild Garlic.

You might be thinking of Steve Groves, the winner of Masterchef: The Professionals:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/1078483/?type=display

Whilst Masterchef has plenty of weird food on it (and weird hosts in the past :lol: ), my weird food experiences have all been fairly tame.

As a student, in the summer vacation I travelled to Australia (by land & sea mostly - some air) via Uganda, Kenya, India, Hong Kong, China, Japan and air hop to Sydney, followed by a motorbike ride across to Perth...

From bricks of money in Uganda "one to Kampala please" (driver holds finger and thumb about 4" apart and you slot the cash in) to sharing food on a train in India (cooked on the spot by other passengers :eek: :lol: ) to roast pork kebabs in Shanghai that weighed at least 1lb and cost about 3p.... all of it was eclipsed by the authentic bush tucker (served by an Aborigine couple) in Australia on the Nullarbor plain... the wichity grubs, the fried ants all that shite (no kangaroo knackers though) - absolutely minging and the only thing we had to wash the taste away was VB at about 50C - which was like off-spec fizzy tea :?

Back
Top Bottom