My restore

Ids

Before: Ever Ready 150, 20mm Boar
[attachment=1]
After: Ever Ready 150 with NF 220 set at 49mm
[attachment=0]

What do you think?

Yes i drilled it out starting in the middle, then used pliers to pull the last bits out then had to chisel the last bits of the shelf out.

I set it very similar to the New Forest on purposely, there brilliant knots but I'm not a fan of the Persian Jar design, so did my own.

When I've got time I'll put together a quick guide of what I did.

Dipesh said:
That's lovely. I like it a lot!

I'd love to do a resto. I'm longing for a butterscotch simpson...

I let one pass me by on ebay a few weeks ago, spotted it, went to figure out what model it was and couldn't pin it down to one so decided against the cheap Buy It Now price. Since discovered it was a Simpson Beaufort. :(

Ids said:
Yes i drilled it out starting in the middle, then used pliers to pull the last bits out then had to chisel the last bits of the shelf out.

I set it very similar to the New Forest on purposely, there brilliant knots but I'm not a fan of the Persian Jar design, so did my own.

When I've got time I'll put together a quick guide of what I did.

I've just restored my own vintage Culmak over the last few days, I'll post a few pics up later. It was a very similar process.

That'll be good to see.

I've got a century butterscoth on the way to play with, but my ultimate vintage would be a Simpsons 57, love that handle and ever since Gary Young said it was an original design I've wanted on, only seen one on the other site.

I have a terrible track record on DIY so would not attempt to make or restore brushes. Great to see your restore Mark. I'd be interested to know the diameter of the hole you dropped the knot into. It seems to have bloomed a little more than one of my early NF 2201 well used sample brushes, and a PJ2 I have used regularly as can be seen here. Tiny variations in lofts and the diameter of the hole in the brush can make a lot of difference. Both lofts on these brushes are 50 mm.

PJNF.jpg

Wow, nice work! I love those Ever Ready handles (and I´m a sucker for barbers handles).

Peter´s right, small differences in loft hight can make things very different. I made two brushes from NF:s knots 2201 and 2211 (thank you Peter). The 2201 (same as yours) was only a two mm higher and it feels different to the reg NF 2201 (a little more flexible feeling without being floppy). The Silvertip knot landed 4 mm higher and that was a huge difference, but it´s not bad or too floppy, I think. the last was an accident though, I used some hard clayish epoxy to fix the hight, but it dried faster than I thought and I couldn´t press it down any further. Both of mine handles had 22 mm wide openings.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/micke2010/NewForest22111024x768.jpg
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/micke2010/NewForest22011024x768.jpg

If I'm honest Peter I'm not sure what the diameter is, I sanded it out until I could push the knot it, it does seem to be quite tight.

The entire handle was hollow so I built it up with an epoxy putty (adds a nice weight as well) this sat the knot at about 47 - 48mm , I then used B and Q own brand epoxy to set the knot, poured and mixed it direct inside the handle.

The outside I sanded with 1500 grit then used car rubbing compound and car paint restore polish to get a high gloss finish.

And me!

I'd been meaning to give it a go but hadn't gotten around to it. It's easier than I thought it was going to be, although there's that niggling doubt about whether the knot is going to hold or whether you've set the loft at the correct height. You just don't know until you use it the first time.

The loft and increasing the diameter where what bothered me.

In future I think I'll stick to the knot size the brush was designed for.

As for the loft on the one I just did I'm not sure if I should of set it deeper.

Back
Top Bottom