New to this... Which blades?

I got my sample pack from Connaught (Cheers Paul!) and my first choice was, of course, the Feathers.

I think I may have shown them a little too much respect as I ended up doing a 3-pass shave. One WTG and two XTG. I didn't want to try ATG on the first run with the feathers in case I tore myself to bits. The result was... Well... Underwhelming, if I'm honest. Not even close to BBS, still quite a few patches that didn't quite cut as nicely as I normally like. As I said, I did take alot more care than normal as it's my first attempt with Feathers. I paired the Feathers with the sample of the TOBS Sandalwood, which itself was really nice, produced an excellent lather and smelt great.

I'm going to give this another run tomorrow as didn't have too much of a growth on the first attempt so I've left it for a few days to see if I can improve my technique with the Feathers. One positive note with the blade was a distinct lack of pulling, tugging or discomfort whilst performing the first pass. I did end up with a little weeper above my top lip but the Alum Block soon sorted that out.

Looking forward to my next shave now.

I've been using Gillette yellows so far, tried a feather today for the first time. I too started off gingerly but soon found it to be an easy blade to use. I got a good BBS from it, and I think I'll be sticking with them for now, but as ever what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Hi Tainted,
I have been steadily working through my sample blade pack and have tried about 9 different blades so far. As you will gather from the posts here the blade to skin combination is a very personal thing.

I have only just tried the Feather blade and found this to be the best blade I've used so far. I didn't try earlier as I wanted to practise getting the lather consistent together with my shave angle as this makes a difference.

Anyhow, just for interest of what blades are currently working for me, Feather followed by the Astra Superior Platinum then the Personna Platinum. The worst I have used is the Merkur Super that came with the razor, took this out midway through the 2nd day usage and binned!

There's a blade for every razor!!
Back to the Personna Blues. Tried them in my Merkur 39c. They work very well in the Slant. Now if I use the 39c once a week and I have 90 blades left. About 2yrs of shaving for 12 bucks!
Need more days in the week!

I just had my second shave on the same Feather blade with my DE89 and I have to say that it was much better this time around. I prepped with a hot shower, then wet my face and added a few drops of baby oil to the soak. I face-lathered with some TOBS Sandalwood and my Omega Pure Bristle. I seem to be using quite a lot of cream to get a good lather. Think I prefer hard soaps with this brush.

This time I went for a 3-pass shave. With, across and against. The result was close to BBS. A nice cold water rinse, some Nivea Cool Kick ASB and a quick rub if the alum block made for an excellent Sunday shave.

I think ill try the Astras next. :)

416810_10150627036617838_667022837_9188589_837943165_n.jpg

THESE
Find these and your face will love you forever.
Sooooo Smooooooth, and soooooo sharp too.

Lovley.

Remember - nip back to 1977 in your type 40 TARDIS and buy up a fivers worth from Woolies (and Woolco)

Father Ted said:
416810_10150627036617838_667022837_9188589_837943165_n.jpg

THESE
Find these and your face will love you forever.
Sooooo Smooooooth, and soooooo sharp too.

Lovley.

Hello Fadda, (said in my best Alan Sherman voice),

Sheeesh, that's yet another Wilkinson blade I don't recall ever seeing.......not the wrapper either for that matter. Would you mind posting a pic of the dispenser when you get time? I must have tried maybe 7-8 old UK made Wilkinson blades and ended up with a few I really love. All are good to very good, but a couple are magical.

So strange dealing with when these old things were made, since certain 'eras' are better than others it seems.

Dodgy

dodgy said:
Hello Fadda, (said in my best Alan Sherman voice),
Would you mind posting a pic of the dispenser when you get time?
Dodgy
It be this one:-
$(KGrHqFHJB8E8fMw-NvNBPKcUmuidQ~~60_12.JPG

30 blade spring loaded dispenser and blade bank - now on its way to Jamie (sans blades of course, I dont collect stuff, just blades.....)

Back
Top Bottom