On the starting line .... and a question

Morning gentlemen

I'm on the starting line, I have everything ready and just awaiting delivery of razor from 'Timothy Edwards' the final piece in the jigsaw :!:

My question is (roughly) how many shaves would you expect from a blade, or is it a case of using it until it starts to drag/pull/feel wrong :?: but even so, how many would you reasonably expect :?:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5981</a><!-- l -->

Sorry my friend this didn't answer my question, the thread you directed me to was 'how long should you try a blade for' :?:

I'm curious as to how long/many shaves you should realistically expect from a blade :?:

There's too many factors for this. How thick your beard is etc...

I normally am lucky to see past 4. If I try and push it by this, I start to get little nicks. Depending on blade, I'd say around 3-4 but I've read some people get to 11 shaves with a blade. I would never do that. It would leave me with a raw face all day! I hate that feeling.

That thread answers your question in the only way you can really.

Just bin them after three uses because you have enough variables to be dealing with, blade longevity shouldn't be one of them, at least not yet.

3 is the short answer.

Some can push a blade to many more shaves but initially set it at a fixed number and change it regardless of if you think it is still OK or not. 3 seems to be the optimal figure and is what I used when starting out.

Myself, personally, I usually have 2 shaves out of a blade, then pitch it. But I am what used to be known as a neurotic. I don't like when a blade starts to drag/tug etc partway through the shave, to the point that I need to decide with what to replace it. or to commit to a tiresome shave.

• Also, I have plenty blades at this point, not including those brands/makes/models that I have decided are 'keepers' and therefore bought 100+ blades to stockpile a bit.
    • I'd prefer using them up before I die, rather than leave them to nobody, only to have them stolen by cops/coroners at the site of my cadaver's discovery or such.[/list:u][/list:u]

I don't have a strong growth and as an experiment managed 7 shaves. Mind you the last two were a bit rough so realistically I change blades after 4 shaves. (Come to think of it...'bit rough' is not an apt description.)

Urban Hermit said:
Myself, personally, I usually have 2 shaves out of a blade, then pitch it. But I am what used to be known as a neurotic. I don't like when a blade starts to drag/tug etc partway through the shave, to the point that I need to decide with what to replace it. or to commit to a tiresome shave.

• Also, I have plenty blades at this point, not including those brands/makes/models that I have decided are 'keepers' and therefore bought 100+ blades to stockpile a bit.

• I'd prefer using them up before I die, rather than leave them to nobody, only to have them stolen by cops/coroners at the site of my cadaver's discovery or such.[/list:u][/list:u]

• Are you for real? I think your initial diagnosis was correct. :shock:

Urban Hermit said:
I'd prefer using them up before I die, rather than leave them to nobody, only to have them stolen by cops/coroners at the site of my cadaver's discovery or such.

Do you routinely carry them round everywhere? I'd have thought other than having a heart attack whilst squeezing one over the equator on the porcelain bus, you'd be more likely to expire outside the bathroom (not that I'd keep my blades in the bathroom anyway).

Back
Top Bottom