On the starting line .... and a question

Thanks again gentlemen, I'm working on 3 per blade so can build up stocks accordingly :idea:

Hopefully razor will arrive in todays postbag :!: sitting here unshaven in anticipation :lol:

baz chaz said:
Thanks again gentlemen, I'm working on 3 per blade so can build up stocks accordingly :idea:

Hopefully razor will arrive in todays postbag :!: sitting here unshaven in anticipation :lol:

I wouldn't go stocking up on one particular type of blade until you've tried a few different ones. Blade choice can be very subjective. Maybe try about 9 shaves or so with one type of blade (3 blades worth of shaves), then try another. This should give you a good feel for what works for you.

To answer your original question. Like others, three shaves per blade for me. I made a conscious decision when starting to only go for this number per blade. The one time I forgot and went for a fourth shave on one blade I ended up with a fair bit of irritation, so it seems like it was a good idea to limit it to three.

rangers62 said:
Urban Hermit said:
Myself, personally, I usually have 2 shaves out of a blade, then pitch it. But I am what used to be known as a neurotic. I don't like when a blade starts to drag/tug etc partway through the shave, to the point that I need to decide with what to replace it. or to commit to a tiresome shave.

• Also, I have plenty blades at this point, not including those brands/makes/models that I have decided are 'keepers' and therefore bought 100+ blades to stockpile a bit.

• I'd prefer using them up before I die, rather than leave them to nobody, only to have them stolen by cops/coroners at the site of my cadaver's discovery or such.[/list:u][/list:u]

• Are you for real? I think your initial diagnosis was correct. :shock:

• Are you?
      • ... and I never said it wasn't correct. Neither did I state it was my diagnosis.
          • After all, I have doctors to make such statements to me.

[/list:u] ... or perhaps this was your version of irony or such?[/list:u][/list:u]

It was humour, not necessarily to your tastes, but hey, "caca pasa", "they can't all be gems", & "you can't please everyone" etc., etc., etc. ... basically, I was saying "life's too short for shitty shaves".
              • Depressing as my life is, humour is my most frequent 'reflex response'.
                    • ... just think of it as my "go to" coping mechanism.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

baz chaz said:
I'm curious as to how long/many shaves you should realistically expect from a blade :?:

Hi there,

I'd recommend using the same brand of blade for a few weeks before trying a different blade. By that time you'll have started to develop a decent reference point for the next blade used. Your technique should be starting to come around as well, which makes testing new blades more accurate. After a while you'll know pretty quick if a new to you blade is a good fit.

No idea if you have a brush, but you might practice making the lather while you wait for the razor. Try using that lather in your cartridge system shave (if that's what you have now), and see how it feels. If the shave isn't as at least as slick and comfortable as the canned stuff, then you gotta problem. Heh, the DE isn't gonna be nearly as forgiving as a cartridge.

I think most members get between 3-6 shaves per blade. You may feel a tug even during the first shave with a new blade, and that may be due to no technique or the wrong blade or wrong lather. Stick with it though and the shaves will get better after a couple weeks or so.

Hope that helps,

Martin

hunnymonster said:
Urban Hermit said:
I'd prefer using them up before I die, rather than leave them to nobody, only to have them stolen by cops/coroners at the site of my cadaver's discovery or such.

Do you routinely carry them round everywhere? I'd have thought other than having a heart attack whilst squeezing one over the equator on the porcelain bus, you'd be more likely to expire outside the bathroom (not that I'd keep my blades in the bathroom anyway).

Now that's just silliness - my blades aren't in the loo!

• ...that's just my life in there. In a downwards spiral.
        • ... accompanied by a wet, flush-y sort of sound.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

I'm usually the same as blades, although some can differ. I can usually get a bit longer out of Treets and gillettes but probably only 2 good shaves out of the super sharp feathers. You can usually feel dragging, skipping and tugging when a blade is on its way out

dodgy said:
No idea if you have a brush, but you might practice making the lather while you wait for the razor. Try using that lather in your cartridge system shave (if that's what you have now), and see how it feels. If the shave isn't as at least as slick and comfortable as the canned stuff, then you gotta problem. Heh, the DE isn't gonna be nearly as forgiving as a cartridge.

I've just got some creams delivered from Paul @ connaught this morning and brush / soap bought earlier locally so have practiced with the soap/brush, found the cream much easier though, down to practice as you say :idea: MrsC quite impressed with the sudden array of shaving items in my bathroom drawer :cool:

had a sort out of said drawer :oops: there was some crud in there, now all binned :roll:

Back
Top Bottom