Palmolive stick reformulated? (UK)

rum

Not meaning to start a rumour or anything, but I have seen this in a Tesco store so I thought I'd ask. This is likely to be old news...

The "potassium tallowate" ingredient noew appears third in the ingredients list on the new packaging stick (European/UK - dark green outer packaging). I don't own the new version, but I suppose I can pick one up from Tesco. The price is still a mere 50p.

On my lighter-coloured pack which is a good couple of years old, maybe three, the first ingredient shown is "Potassium Hydrogenated Tallowate". I can probably take a pic of this later and post it here. EDIT: pic is now below.

[attachment=6735]​

I'm sure there's little difference to be had here but I thought I should mention it for all you tallow freaks out there.

Did anyone else notice this?

Attachments

• IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 100
Haven't but I have new and old and not tried the new. I am tempted to give it a try tomorrow because of this. Would appreciate your anecdotal findings if/when you give it a go, too.
Perhaps Hunnymonster in lieu of Henk could shed some light in the potential impact of new v old ingredients ordering

I've also checked the ten sticks I bought from Wilkinsons but two weeks ago, all are the ones we know and love.

I've done some digging and found a thread on B&B discussing this from back in 2010. The consensus was that there are three known variations but that the best one is the one with the "Gut 2.2" emblem on the front. Apparently this is a German consumer test result, and only the tallow-first sticks have it.

Fingers crossed it's just Tesco's supplier and not the beginning of the end. I'm not sure I could take it after Proraso being mucked about with too.

Dipesh said:
I've tried the light green and dark green packaging and noticed no difference.

Well said Dipesh, because that's the only thing that matters.

Too many people spend too much time judging a product by it's ingredients list instead of it's performance.

Ian

chris.hale said:
I don't know how old it is, but I bought a stick in the dark green box in Asda a few weeks ago and the ingredients list matches Rum's pic.

mulligano said:
Damn, I stocked up on ten sticks from Tesco yesterday - all but one are the new formulation. I hope there's not much of difference!

chris.hale said:
I've also checked the ten sticks I bought from Wilkinsons but two weeks ago, all are the ones we know and love.

I've done some digging and found a thread on B&B discussing this from back in 2010. The consensus was that there are three known variations but that the best one is the one with the "Gut 2.2" emblem on the front. Apparently this is a German consumer test result, and only the tallow-first sticks have it.

Fingers crossed it's just Tesco's supplier and not the beginning of the end. I'm not sure I could take it after Proraso being mucked about with too.

Yes my original one (with the pic) was from Asda originally. And the new ones I've noticed are in Tesco.

I was contemplating putting this on B&B but as it seems it's old news, I won't bother. The American sites seem to have non-tallow versions of this (I think it's actually made in Australia) so I didn't want to confuse them by posting this.

I presume there is no difference, but it would be a real shame to see this one mucked about with. At such a great price (next to nothing) it's the definitive travel soap for me. I will always have one in the wash bag so long as it's a good performing soap.

rum said:
I was contemplating putting this on B&B but as it seems it's old news, I won't bother. The American sites seem to have non-tallow versions of this (I think it's actually made in Australia) so I didn't want to confuse them by posting this.

Palmolive in Australia is not the same as Palmolive in Europe (I think it is (or rather was) different again in the Pacific Islands)... Australian Palmolive is entirely vegetable in nature. Post a picture of the "new" packaging because as you describe it, it sounds like the packaging from before last...

Yep.

Old stock.

There was a 'blip' in formulation.

The one you're talking about will have a kind of red "swoosh" under the word Palmolive (I think).

hunnymonster said:
Post a picture of the "new" packaging because as you describe it, it sounds like the packaging from before last...

I will get a stick whilst out on my lunch break and will post a pic later tonight.

Well I double-checked and they are definitely in the dark green pack, with the Gut 2,2 mark on the front and Potassium Tallowate listed third.

I just posted that I visited my local chemist in another thread and it seems the Palmolive sticks they had there were also of the dark green variety but they had Potassium Hydrogenated Tallowate first. Interesting. I'm beginning to think that the blip in formulation is quite true...

Just looked through my stock, 4 sticks with tallow first and the rest have it as the third ingredient. The boxes look the same to me apart from the small print. I guess they'll perform the same not too bothered by the order of ingredients. I was just curious to see if I had slightly different sticks.
I've bought from Asda and Morrisons.
Brian

Back
Top Bottom