Palmolive stick reformulated? (UK)

Interesting thread. I've just been through my stocks of Palmolive stick (all bought from Wilko/Wilkinsons) and done some quick pics:

Left to right on both = old style packaging (bought 2 years ago); new style packaging, old formulation (bought 18 months ago); new style packaging, new formulation (bought 2 weeks ago).

Fronts
8516394314_e5295c2009_b.jpg

Formulations
8515281439_dffb9eefc3_b.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Could the last one, not featuring hydrogenated anything (at least to a layman like me) be becuase of the hoo-hah about hydrogenated fats in food a while back? Don't laugh if I am being ridiculous - I know we aren't going to eat them - but I was thinking about the spotlight being on hydrogenated fats/anything(?) getting into the bloodstream and our bodies not being able to process it properly/at all.
I'm not trying to panic anyone here and forgive me if this is very silly. It was just a thought that occured.

When I grated the stick I'm currently using, I discarded the packaging, so I don't know which version it was (other than it was a green box, so either new packing, old formula, which I think is most likely, or new packaging, new formula).

Yep - stearate is usually an equally good sign (as tallowate) so I'd be pretty relaxed :)

Could be that they're just declaring the ingredients in a different form... what we need is an organic chemist who can diagnose what hydrogenated tallowate is comprised of (because tallowate is a hideous kludge in nomenclature - tallow isn't one homogenous thing, it's a mix - there is no 'tallowic acid' to make a salt 'tallowate' from)

hunnymonster said:
Could be that they're just declaring the ingredients in a different form...

I don't think so. Apart from the appearance of the stearates as the primary ingredients, other compounds have also appeared such as NaOH, KOH and Eugenol, and some others have changed their relative contributions to the chemistry e.g. EDTA, BHT and etidronate. That suggests a reformulation to me. For the better or worse I don't know.

Re: RE: Palmolive stick reformulated? (UK)

ultrawomble said:
hunnymonster said:
Could be that they're just declaring the ingredients in a different form...

I don't think so. Apart from the appearance of the stearates as the primary ingredients, other compounds have also appeared such as NaOH, KOH and Eugenol, and some others have changed their relative contributions to the chemistry e.g. EDTA, BHT and etidronate. That suggests a reformulation to me. For the better or worse I don't know.

"Tallowate" is typically 30% stearate or thereabouts (stearic acid is a fully saturated hydrocarbon chain, perhaps previously achieved by hydrogenating the tallow)... ie. Getting to the same endpoint in the stick by slightly different means. All soap contains NaOH and/or KOH and beyond a certain percentage you don't have to declare them in order... Eugenol is possibly something that has to be explicitly declared now (regulations change)

My Ingram's is like melted ice cream, rubbish!

First one I bought, sent email and they have given me a Freepost address to return it too with a promise of a couple of tubes return post.......

:-/

Gairdner said:
Just as long as they keep their filthy, mucking about mitts off my Ingrams! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom