Palmolive stick reformulated? (UK)

hunnymonster said:
ultrawomble said:
hunnymonster said:
Could be that they're just declaring the ingredients in a different form...

I don't think so. Apart from the appearance of the stearates as the primary ingredients, other compounds have also appeared such as NaOH, KOH and Eugenol, and some others have changed their relative contributions to the chemistry e.g. EDTA, BHT and etidronate. That suggests a reformulation to me. For the better or worse I don't know.

"Tallowate" is typically 30% stearate or thereabouts (stearic acid is a fully saturated hydrocarbon chain, perhaps previously achieved by hydrogenating the tallow)... ie. Getting to the same endpoint in the stick by slightly different means. All soap contains NaOH and/or KOH and beyond a certain percentage you don't have to declare them in order... Eugenol is possibly something that has to be explicitly declared now (regulations change)

Point noted. Perhaps that is how they can retain that test rating on the box?

ultrawomble said:
Interesting thread. I've just been through my stocks of Palmolive stick (all bought from Wilko/Wilkinsons) and done some quick pics:

Formulations
8515281439_dffb9eefc3_b.jpg

ultrawomble said:
I don't think so. Apart from the appearance of the stearates as the primary ingredients, other compounds have also appeared such as NaOH, KOH and Eugenol, and some others have changed their relative contributions to the chemistry e.g. EDTA, BHT and etidronate. That suggests a reformulation to me. For the better or worse I don't know.

hunnymonster said:
"Tallowate" is typically 30% stearate or thereabouts (stearic acid is a fully saturated hydrocarbon chain, perhaps previously achieved by hydrogenating the tallow)... ie. Getting to the same endpoint in the stick by slightly different means. All soap contains NaOH and/or KOH and beyond a certain percentage you don't have to declare them in order... Eugenol is possibly something that has to be explicitly declared now (regulations change)

Thanks for the photos, ultrawomble. Much appreciated. That last one is a little scary - I've not seen that one before. How long ago was that purchased?

We have two chemists in the household; one has a PhD in organic chemistry. I will forward that on and see what response we get.

Most of you are quite right though. If they've fudged the ingredients, so what? I will probably still buy one when my current runs out and will see if it lathers as well. If not, it goes in the bin and won't be purchased again. Life's too short.

rum said:
Thanks for the photos, ultrawomble. Much appreciated. That last one is a little scary - I've not seen that one before. How long ago was that purchased?

The one on the right? About 2 weeks ago from Wilkinsons - where I've always obtained the old formulation.

ultrawomble said:
rum said:

The one on the right? About 2 weeks ago from Wilkinsons - where I've always obtained the old formulation.

Looks like this might not just be a blip in their batches then.... it could well be reformulated permanently.

I noticed the new ones in Wilkos today.

Might be worth a few posts on other sites, you know ... if you're looking for some 'favourable' trades across the pond ... just saying, like.

I just checked in Tesco's again and they have the ones on the right, not the middle ones. I suppose the middle ones were the bad batch mentioned previously.

Back
Top Bottom