Portuguese Creams

now i know most of you will have looked here probably expecting to see something on Musgo Real but alas no

fear not though

as some of you will know my old man failed to bring me back any Musgo (pronounced Mush-go apparantly) products from Maderia but while talking to the elderly shop keep and explaining what he was after on my behalf the old chap had a rumage round and gave him a tube of LAVANDA Creme de Barbear which, according to said gent, is/was made by the same people that make Musgo and i can tell you it's just as good ;)

no idea of price as i got it gratis
the scent isn't lavender as the name suggest but more like Palmolive shaving FOAM (from memory)
contains menthol but not a lot, barely noticable
also has Which Hazel in it :shock:

very easy to lather, smooth and luxurious

i know the chances of anyone coming across this are slim - zero but if your in Portugal on hols keep your eyes open for this one

Portuguese shaving creams are simply superb.All they contains lanolin which really makes a big difference.Musgo and Lavanda are made by ACH Brito(Claus Porto) and O Melhor and Veleiro are made by Confiança.Lavanda it seems that have been discontinued,but you can still find Musgo.I shaved with Musgo last monday and I did enjoy it a lot.You cant go wrong with any of those shaving creams.

How are they for shaving brushless? I'd like to pick up some when I'm next in Portugal. I've used Palmolive in a tube before as a brushless and it worked fine, nothing remarkable about it, but totally usable.

Lucky Git hando getting some Lavanda! I like Musgo, but the scent is not for me. Not Portuguese, but i tried my La toja today, and it was nice, but i did nick myself a bit. Will have to review this one

npinn001 said:
Lucky Git hando getting some Lavanda! I like Musgo, but the scent is not for me. Not Portuguese, but i tried my La toja today, and it was nice, but i did nick myself a bit. Will have to review this one
La Toja shaving cream is not as good as any portuguese or german shaving creams.However the shaving stick is maybe the best one that you can find out there and its not even tallow based.

Teiste said:
La Toja shaving cream is not as good as any portuguese or german shaving creams.However the shaving stick is maybe the best one that you can find out there and its not even tallow based.

i know how good the stick is but i'm suprised to hear that about the cream?

hando said:
Teiste said:

i know how good the stick is but i'm suprised to hear that about the cream?
yeah man,the cream is not playing on the same league that any of the top creams(portuguese,germans,the ones made by Creightons...)However this is my opinion and you might like it a lot if you try it.What I like from La Toja cream is its scent,that one its hard to beat.

good find on the Lavanda! Sounds like this would be a firm favourite if it ever made a return to the shelves.

i have some Veleiro cream on the way & i am really looking fwd to giving it a whirl.

I bought 2 tubes of Lavanda on eBay, then the did a bait and switch and told me it was discontinued and did I want the canned foam. I knew it was discontinued otherwise I would not have paid 25 plus euros for a basic cream, eventually I got a refund.

I have managed to score 3 tubes of Lavanda elsewhere, and used it earlier - now I want the others - Top Secret, Veleiro , O Melhor and they appear hard to get now.

Sabre said:
I have managed to score 3 tubes of Lavanda elsewhere, and used it earlier - now I want the others - Top Secret, Veleiro , O Melhor and they appear hard to get now.

You can buy them directly from manufacturer´s(Confiança) webpage: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.confiancasoaps.com/catalogo/listaprodutos.php?cat=208&sessao=1&p=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.confiancasoaps.com/catalogo/ ... ssao=1&p=5</a><!-- m -->
All are good lanolin based creams, I personally love the marine scent of Veleiro.

James_uk said:
Teiste said:
You can go wrong with any of those shaving creams.

how?you just said they were superb mate :roll:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH,very true!Thanks for the correction.
The right sentence:
you CANT go wrong with nay of the Portuguse creams.
BTW:got a Lavanda tube of shaving cream from shaveabuck.com and,gosh,I wonder why ACH Brito stopped to make it...I like it even more than Musgo....

James_uk said:
musgo is an outstanding cream but I still feel it's hideously overpriced for a tbe of that size
Yes,it is overpriced when you compare it with creams like Ingram, and its kind of weird that is hard to find it on its own country.Only a couple stores carry the MR line,or even O Melhor,Veleiro or Top Secret (the Confiança creams,that now belongs to Ach.Brito/Claus Porto).

Back
Top Bottom