Rate The Last Film You Watched

Carry On Again Doctor (1969)

I watched this again last night. It was the third "hospital" set Carry On film. I enjoyed it immensely, despite the presence of bloody Barbara Windsor and her tits (again). The film was very funny despite her, not because of her. I especially love the famous scene where Jim Dale comes hurtling down a flight of stairs on a hospital trolley (a stunt that he reportedly did himself). I didn't think that the film was quite as funny as the previous Carry On Doctor, but almost. I give it a solid score of 9/10.

Carry On Up The Jungle (1970)

The first Carry On film of the 1970s. Frankie Howerd stars in his second and last Carry On film, and he's as funny as ever. I liked the send up of Tarzan, though the film must rate as another of the most un-PC in the entire series. The lovely Valerie Leon pops up in a small role, and Charles Hawtrey also has a much smaller part than usual. At least we didn't have Barbara Windsor in this film to annoy me (thank God). I enjoyed the film again last night, though it had been a while since I last watched it. I give it a score of 8/10.

Carry On Loving (1970)

A lot of people don't seem to like this one, but I don't mind it too much. At least it hasn't got bloody Barbara Windsor in it to ruin it. Terry Scott has a much bigger part in this film than usual, though, and the regulars are really no more than supporting cast in this. IMO, this was the first Carry On film to venture too far into the "sex comedy" type films that were big in the 1970s. It still has some very funny moments, though, and I did enjoy watching it again. I give it a score of 9/10.

Carry On Henry (1971)

One of the best Carry On films of the 1970s, IMO. Sid James plays Henry VIII, and it's a part that fits him like a glove. I watched it again last night and thoroughly enjoyed it again. Even the unwelcome (for me) presence of Barbara bloody Windsor couldn't spoil this for me. She isn't in the film all the way through, in any case, thank God. This has to be one of the funniest of the entire Carry On series, IMO. It's a solid 10/10 from me.

Carry On At Your Convenience (1971)

This film was the Carry On team's spoof of unions and strikes. Although the film lacks a proper plot (as a lot of other Carry On films do, to be fair), the film does have some very funny moments. I liked the main character, Vic Spanner (played by Kenneth Cope), his gormless mate (played by the ever-reliable Bernard Bresslaw) and his domineering battleaxe mother (played by Renee Houston). Sid James is also very good in his scenes with his "talking" pet bird, who is apparently able to predict winners of horse races. Hattie Jacques plays a more "dialled-down" part than usual, as his long-suffering wife. The rest of the cast are also good, though, to be fair. I enjoyed the film immensely when I watched it again last night. I give it a solid score of 9/10.

Reactions: PHR
Nosferatu (1922)

This is the oldest film that I own. Some years ago, I bought the restored Collector's Edition DVD of the film, and I watched it again last night. It may be an extremely old film, which some may scoff at, but it is still an extremely atmospheric and creepy experience. It was one of the very first (though unofficial) films based on the novel Dracula, and Max Schreck, who plays the vampire, is a very different image of him than the suave, man-about-town as later portrayed by Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee. Schreck oozes evil from every pore of his body, and there is absolutely no way that any lady would find him irresistible, unlike Lugosi and Lee. There were even unproved rumours that Schreck was, in fact, a real vampire, due to his appearance and mannerisms.

It had been a few years since I watched this film. I watched it fairly late, with headphones plugged in to my DVD player, and it still creeped me out. The film has no speech (it was made in 1922), but with atmosphere like that, you don't really miss it. I consider it to be one of the finest vampire (Dracula) films ever made. It's a solid 10/10 from me for this vintage horror classic. I hope that it won't be a few years before I watch it again.

Carry On Matron (1972)

There was bugger all on TV this evening, so I put this film on to watch again. It was the last Carry On film to be set in a hospital. It has some funny moments, as do most Carry On films, but unfortunately the film is sabotaged once again by the ever-present Barbara Windsor. The scenes where Kenneth Cope "dresses up" as a nurse and is lusted after by doctor Terry Scott also made me cringe. These scenes were so unbelievable as to be borderline fantasy. However, Kenneth Williams and Hattie Jacques save the film, and their scenes together are hilarious (as always). I give the film 8/10.

Carry On Abroad (1972)

This is one of my favourite Carry On films of the 1970s. This is where they go on holiday to Spain, and the "Elsbells" hotel resort, only to find that it's in a shocking state and there are very few staff. Although there isn't much plot to speak of, and not a lot happens, the film still has some very funny moments. Most of the regular cast are in the film and yes, unfortunately for me, that does include the ever-irritating Barbara Windsor. Her unwelcome (for me) presence didn't spoil the film too much, though. I enjoyed the film immensely again. I give it a very fair and solid score of 9/10.

Nosferatu (1922)

This is the oldest film that I own. Some years ago, I bought the restored Collector's Edition DVD of the film, and I watched it again last night. It may be an extremely old film, which some may scoff at, but it is still an extremely atmospheric and creepy experience. It was one of the very first (though unofficial) films based on the novel Dracula, and Max Schreck, who plays the vampire, is a very different image of him than the suave, man-about-town as later portrayed by Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee. Schreck oozes evil from every pore of his body, and there is absolutely no way that any lady would find him irresistible, unlike Lugosi and Lee. There were even unproved rumours that Schreck was, in fact, a real vampire, due to his appearance and mannerisms.

It had been a few years since I watched this film. I watched it fairly late, with headphones plugged in to my DVD player, and it still creeped me out. The film has no speech (it was made in 1922), but with atmosphere like that, you don't really miss it. I consider it to be one of the finest vampire (Dracula) films ever made. It's a solid 10/10 from me for this vintage horror classic. I hope that it won't be a few years before I watch it again.

I'm a huge fan of this film. One of my all time favourites. I liked the first remake by Herzog, but I can't remember much about it. I'm somewhat intrigued by the Egger brothers remake.

However, I can't see anyone ever rivalling Schreck's performance. Even a 100 years later, there is something about his performance which is so unpalatable for his viewer. It's horror film making at some of it's most visceral.

Reactions: FJY
Back
Top Bottom