• Weight 69gm
  • Mechanism TTO
  • Metal Brass/Copper – Nickel plated
  • Legend Base Plate Made in USA – REG US PAT OFF – OI
  • Legend Internal PAT NOS. ON PKG
  • Aggression Adjustable
  • Size 109mm x 43mm

Gillette Super 109 Adjustable TTO.
The Super-109 made its debut in 1969. My personal razor is 1971 Q.

A little interesting note;
Gillette originally decided to skip the “Q” code in theory this looked too much like the “O” year. However, there was a mistake and some Super-109 Razors were produced with the R & Q date plate for 1971. Q1 being the more common.

The handles are anodized aluminum, so a little less hardwearing than the brass / nickel counterparts. I see a lot of these models available, but the handles are often damaged.

The Aluminum is a softer metal and easily pits and forms corrosion issues.

The originals have the nickel-plated brass base plate, until 1976 when to reduce manufacturing costs the plastic black base plate was introduced – Super Adjustable 109 PV. these models have the nickname of the Black Beauty. The weight of the Black beauty is 56gm.

The black handle does give a modern contemporary look that is equally attractive today.

The razor has nine settings to achieve your personal shaving comfort. Setting 1 to 9, with 1 being the mildest and 9 the heaviest.

If you don’t own a Slim or a FatBoy then this could be a razor to lookout for, although even if you do own a slim & FatBoy this will make a great addition to your collection.

109 Adj.jpg

Razor Review #4

Nostalgia - Vintage Gillette Super 109 adjustable

• Gillette Super 109 Adjustable
  • Date of Manufacture Q1 1971 1st ¼
  • Country of Manufacture USA
  • Weight 69gm
  • Mechanism TTO
  • Aggression Adjustable
  • Size 109mm x 43mm

Gillette originally decided to skip the “Q” code in theory this looked too much like the “O” year. However, there was a mistake and some Super-109 Razors were produced with the R & Q date plate for 1971. Q1 being the more common.

The handles are anodized aluminum, so a little less hardwearing than the brass / nickel counterparts. I see a lot of these models available, but the handles are often damaged.

The originals have the nickel-plated brass base plate, until 1976 when to reduce manufacturing costs the plastic black base plate was introduced – Super Adjustable 109 PV. these models have the nickname of the Black Beauty. The weight of the Black beauty is 56gm.

The black handle does give a modern contemporary look that is equally attractive today.

The razor has nine settings to achieve your personal shaving comfort. Setting 1 to 9, with 1 being the mildest and 9 the heaviest.

If you don’t own a Slim or a FatBoy then this could be a razor to lookout for, although even if you do own a slim & FatBoy this will make a great addition to your collection.

View attachment 124867
That can't be right as I own a Black Beauty made in 1972.

Maybe both models were run parallel with the original metal plate discontinued in 1976. The Gillette data has the Super 109 Plastic base plate as 1976.
Sorry my mistake completely, you are right as mine does not have the plastic base plate.
It's early and I need more coffee I think.

Sorry my mistake completely, you are right as mine does not have the plastic base plate.
It's early and I need more coffee I think.
I have been searching the internet looking for the plastic base plate and the manufacture date. Everything stated the later date. I then thought you may have a misprint on your Razor and a one of a kind. Ok, well more coffee for both of us :D

Razor Review #4

Nostalgia - Vintage Gillette Super 109 adjustable

• Gillette Super 109 Adjustable
  • Date of Manufacture Q1 1971 1st ¼
  • Country of Manufacture USA
  • Weight 69gm
  • Mechanism TTO
  • Aggression Adjustable
  • Size 109mm x 43mm

View attachment 124867
Hi Garry357
Great review and pic mate
I have one with the plastic base plate
not sure of the date
thanks for all the info
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom