Russian PPI produced Blades vs China / India variants

Its interesting that now i am over 60 i feel my skin has changed a little recently and my Russian Astra SP still do a great job, but i feel they are having to plough through fractionally tougher hair these days. They aren't the sharpest for sure, but for me have always been a perfect balance of sharp and smooth. Now it feels like they are having to work a fraction harder.

Hence i am exploring sharper options and this current upheaval courtesy of Putin just makes the job less simple than it used to be.

Am leaning towards trying some Indian Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum "Blacks" for sure, as i am reading so much love for them on the interweb.
I love the Blacks, but at least here in the US, their price has skyrocketed in the last few years. I can get Wizamets cheaper, and if I watch closely almost get Feathers for what they sell for these days.

Honestly chaps, if you haven’t tried the humble Lord Silver Star, you may be missing out. A criminally underrated blade that is both very sharp and delightfully smooth. It is also very inexpensive.

I've got a pack of about 98 sitting in my blade draw. Years ago I didn't think they compared to my beloved GSB's - but I think the time has come to give them another whirl! cheers.

Don’t rate the GSB much. Middle of the roads but nowhere near a Silverr Star.

Funny how different blades work for different skin/beard/razor types isn't it? If you don't rate the GSB there's probably a higher probability I'll think similar with the silver stars, based on those variables. Still, I always think it's worth revisiting things years later, particularly with changes to technique, razors etc.

On second thoughts, I'll probably wait until I come off anticoagulants first, in a months' time :LOL:

Personally, I have never got on with either of the Russian Astra blades SP and SS but I gave the Indian ones a go courtesy of a 15 blade purchase from Amazon UK and they were just the same, scratchy and after the shave I look like I've encountered Freddy Kruger! In fact my all time favourite Russian blade was the Sputnik but I haven't seen them for some time - I presume they are out of production. Right now my favourite Russian is Gillette Platinum and I'll be interested in trying out Indian or Chinese variants if they become available.

Personally, I have never got on with either of the Russian Astra blades SP and SS but I gave the Indian ones a go courtesy of a 15 blade purchase from Amazon UK and they were just the same, scratchy and after the shave I look like I've encountered Freddy Kruger! In fact my all time favourite Russian blade was the Sputnik but I haven't seen them for some time - I presume they are out of production. Right now my favourite Russian is Gillette Platinum and I'll be interested in trying out Indian or Chinese variants if they become available.
Sometimes the stainless version of a blade is better, for me, than the platinum. Russian Astra would be a good example. Shark is another.

I'm a big fan of Sputnik blades and have a shrinking stockpile of them.

I don't know if Astra are still making their blue stainless version now production is in India?

Sometimes the stainless version of a blade is better, for me, than the platinum. Russian Astra would be a good example. Shark is another.

I'm a big fan of Sputnik blades and have a shrinking stockpile of them.

I don't know if Astra are still making their blue stainless version now production is in India?

Yes Gillette is now making the Astra Stainless in India, you can get it from Razor Blades Club.

Sputnik is still being in Russia and sold there but as it's a Russian market blade and with the war embargoes it's not really possible to buy the blade here.

Back
Top Bottom