Saturday 10rd - Friday 16nd December 2022.

11 December
I’ve tried the Rolls razor several times now but could never get a smooth shave, probably because the blade wasn’t quite sharp
enough, especially with a longer growth of beard than just a day. I have a selection of blades, all old like the razor but still in pretty good nick so today gave one a good honing and strop in the Rolls box.
Used newly acquired Speick soap with my vintage synthetic. Very smooth easy to lather, no irritation or accelerated drying. It apparently contains extracts from the high alpine Speick plant. This plant is part of the Valerian family and has an interesting history, used medicinally and also added to soups and stews. Hmmm, I thought my soap stick looked good enough to eat!
I finally managed a decent shave albeit with a fair amount of pick up. I’m not experienced with the Rolls so found chin and neck a bit of a challenge to cover everything without multiple passes or blood loss. I think the blade was sharp enough but I guess we get used to relatively quick and straightforward shaves now with modern safety razors whereas with the Rolls and similar you need to take your time to shave. Its about technique and I suppose if I used the Rolls every day like my father used to it would become second nature and I’d probably speed up. On the plus side there was no blood to report this time.
Currently sleeting, winter is my least favourite season but at least in 10 days, the hours of daylight will start to increase here :)
Have a nice evening fellas!

66F1BD9A-E242-4991-A823-725D17F9CB60.jpeg

11/12/22

Razor - Bic Sensitive 1
Soap - Proraso Green in a Can
Post - Benjamins Bay Rum

Forgive me TSR for I have sinned. It was far too cold, so today I was in and out of the bathroom like I was having a sneaky No.1 before heading out.

Look at the photo though.

Sad looking Bic next to a bottle of Benjamins Bay Rum.

View attachment 97393
No sin in taking the odd shortcut Shubs
Needs must when the Devil drives . . .

Last edited:
View attachment 97339
SOTD: 10/12/2022

Razor: Hone 15
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium, 1st use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: HC&C Unscented Puck
Balm: L’Oréal All In 1 Moisturising Cream Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block
Fragrance: Tom Ford Black Orchid Eau de Toilette

Day two with the HC&C and yet another winning scent finally a Tom Ford Black Orchid dupe that does it justice! 3 drops of oil was probably too much but regardless the base is fantastic as is the scent. I don’t think there’s any in my pack I wouldn’t want to use regularly and get more off!
The Hone is a delight and I’ve given up wanting a decent steel version, why bother when this shaves so well?
Enjoy the weekend guys.
How do you like the Aluminium Hone? There’s more than a little bit of me in that picture too…

Last edited:
Hi Shubs

I saw Paul's write up on the QA issues - very thorough as usual.
I bought it about 5 years ago, so probably before 'bad batchgate'.
I've tried all sorts to get it to perform . . damp brush, wet brush, light/heavy loading, soaking etc.
I've always wanted to like MWF more, but when there is a plethora of (imo) better performing soaps available, it's a no-brainer.
It makes me wonder if the manufacturer is aware of the issues some the end users experience?
Soap is soap, load the brush and lather it up. It shouldn't be difficult for them to ensure that everyone has the same experience with the same product? . . .I'm now waiting to be shot down in flames! . . .

Well you won't get shot down from this end and agree with your points. Why travel to the end of the world to lather when better can be found on your doorsteps? It's a bit like going to your corner shop via Glasgow to me. Which of course sounds odd if you live in Glasgow.

Vintage SotD

Vintage SIR 4711 - Shaving Soap.
Vintage Rubberset - Shaving Brush.
Vintage Otto Backhaus 504 Slant - Safety Razor.
Vintage SIR 4711 - After Shave.
Vintage SIR 4711 - Powder
Vintage SIR 4711 - Deo

-

44851285ha.jpg

44851286zf.jpg

44851287rb.jpg

44851288as.jpg

11/12/22

Razor - Bic Sensitive 1
Soap - Proraso Green in a Can
Post - Benjamins Bay Rum

Forgive me TSR for I have sinned. It was far too cold, so today I was in and out of the bathroom like I was having a sneaky No.1 before heading out.

Look at the photo though.

Sad looking Bic next to a bottle of Benjamins Bay Rum.

View attachment 97393
maxresdefault.jpg

How do like the Aluminium Hone? There’s more than a little bit of me in that picture too…
That’s pretty much my best set up right there! I love the razor kindly sold to me by someone with a very dodgy ’tache‘, the soap is up there with the best and the brush well it’s ok… no it’s my best brush too! Funny I was going to message you soon as I’ve not treated it since I got it, but think it’s probably due a coat of something and I’ve forgot what you’re recommended.
The aluminium Hone was a nice light razor, it was a little draggy in comparison to the brass but nothing like the steel version. I kind of wish I still had it as I think I could get the best from it now. He got it right first time with the brass. I’d like to see a new design or revised 2nd attempt at the steel but would have to try it before buying this time.

Back
Top Bottom