Saturday 10rd - Friday 16nd December 2022.

11 December
I’ve tried the Rolls razor several times now but could never get a smooth shave, probably because the blade wasn’t quite sharp
enough, especially with a longer growth of beard than just a day. I have a selection of blades, all old like the razor but still in pretty good nick so today gave one a good honing and strop in the Rolls box.
Used newly acquired Speick soap with my vintage synthetic. Very smooth easy to lather, no irritation or accelerated drying. It apparently contains extracts from the high alpine Speick plant. This plant is part of the Valerian family and has an interesting history, used medicinally and also added to soups and stews. Hmmm, I thought my soap stick looked good enough to eat!
I finally managed a decent shave albeit with a fair amount of pick up. I’m not experienced with the Rolls so found chin and neck a bit of a challenge to cover everything without multiple passes or blood loss. I think the blade was sharp enough but I guess we get used to relatively quick and straightforward shaves now with modern safety razors whereas with the Rolls and similar you need to take your time to shave. Its about technique and I suppose if I used the Rolls every day like my father used to it would become second nature and I’d probably speed up. On the plus side there was no blood to report this time.
Currently sleeting, winter is my least favourite season but at least in 10 days, the hours of daylight will start to increase here
Have a nice evening fellas!

No sin in taking the odd shortcut Shubs
Needs must when the Devil drives . . .

Last edited:
How do you like the Aluminium Hone? There’s more than a little bit of me in that picture too…

Last edited:

Well you won't get shot down from this end and agree with your points. Why travel to the end of the world to lather when better can be found on your doorsteps? It's a bit like going to your corner shop via Glasgow to me. Which of course sounds odd if you live in Glasgow.

How do like the Aluminium Hone? There’s more than a little bit of me in that picture too…
That’s pretty much my best set up right there! I love the razor kindly sold to me by someone with a very dodgy ’tache‘, the soap is up there with the best and the brush well it’s ok… no it’s my best brush too! Funny I was going to message you soon as I’ve not treated it since I got it, but think it’s probably due a coat of something and I’ve forgot what you’re recommended.
The aluminium Hone was a nice light razor, it was a little draggy in comparison to the brass but nothing like the steel version. I kind of wish I still had it as I think I could get the best from it now. He got it right first time with the brass. I’d like to see a new design or revised 2nd attempt at the steel but would have to try it before buying this time.