SOTD Sat. 27th April to Fri. 3rd May 2013

Friday

Pre Gillette face wash and proraso pre
Brush New Forest super badger 1901
Soap Body Shop Macca Root (thanks heroblob)
Razor merkur progress set at 2
Blade Treet Platimum (3)
Post witch hazel
Balm real shaving company face balm

Ok shave today - first use of both the Macca root soap and NF brush - bit of work to build up a lather but good lather once got there although. Am unsure about the smell of this product

Overall a reasonable shave but the blade was certainly on it's way out and is now ' in the pot'

Simon

Greetings

Friday 3rd May 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Empire
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated (modified)
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Cream: T.O.B.S. Sandalwood
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A really nice shave with this old razor, I love the way the shave is adjustable from super mild to very aggressive, for me it seems to perform best more or less in the middle.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04239.JPG

thurs eveing

ford and medley arrow 5/8
bbr and gillette green
trumpers sandlewood cream
trumpers skin food
three crowns sandlewood colgone
nivia sensitive asb
simpson brush

good close shave
steve

jds said:
My face always feels great after the Dittmar lather. Managed a DFS after the Ikon applied the final touches.

So Jon, have you tried other German soaps? Tabac, Speick, Klar Kabinett, Haslinger's (ok, that one is Austrian, but close enough). If so - how would you compare Dr. Dittmar's performance?

Vintage Cussons Imperial Leather shaving soap (Imperial Leather colours and just a subtle IL in the logo)
Henk walnut silvertip
Schick M injector with Trac II blade (third shave), setting 5
Vintage Givenchy Gentleman aftershave

Best shave in weeks and weeks. BBS with the razor and blade. Super-slick and moisturising lather easily from this soap which still had its plastic film on top. There is that nasty school soap smell like there was with the Cussons stick I bought but that was really strong and nasty; this is quite mild and there is a slight Imperial Leather fragrance still in there which comes out better once lathered.
I have another unused Cussons soap - Imperial Leather branded and "Chubby" is the product line because of its shape. This has a stronger school soap smell and no IL fragrance left. May be a candidate for fragrance oil.
Pics here: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-19359-page-5.html

Pre: Santa Maria Novella
Soap: Klar Kabinett
Razor: Gem Flying Wing with Gem blade (3)
Alum & Witch Hazel
Balm: Martin de Candre Oil​

A real mix today and my first shave with this razor which is very intuitive and nowhere near as aggressive as the open comb Gems - like it very much.

The Klar was OK to good - I really prefer the ease of creams in this water area but by adding a little dishwasher salt and a drop of GFT skin lotion to the mix, I managed to get a tolerable lather. In any event, the MdeC oil has left me feeling pretty good so maybe the lather was better than I give credit for.

Helveticum said:
jds said:
My face always feels great after the Dittmar lather. Managed a DFS after the Ikon applied the final touches.

So Jon, have you tried other German soaps? Tabac, Speick, Klar Kabinett, Haslinger's (ok, that one is Austrian, but close enough). If so - how would you compare Dr. Dittmar's performance?

I haven't as of yet, so can't provide any comparisons. However I would say that Dittmar is an a par with Mitchell's, for me at any rate. Without doubt it is a quality soap and should be tried. There is also a ready grated version that can be compressed into any container of choice.

Once finished I will replace it with a soap from the German speaking world - most probably Haslinger's or Klar Kabinett. Apart from some Roger et Gallet soap that I bought many years ago on a French holiday this was my first hard soap and I have no complaints at all.

Jon

Friday's Rasp

• EJ Barley w/Lab Blue & shim
  • Hand-carved Beech Silvertip
  • MWF
  • Blue Stratos
  • Astral
Was a tad heavy handed on my neck as I was getting rather anxious due to a one o'clock 'appointment'. However the Blue Stratos & Astral have pretty much sorted my skin. Just need to find the Diazepam now. :icon_rolleyes:

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave
Soap: Cella (soap of the week)
Brush: Muhle 'HJM' Synthetic
Bowl: Steve Woodhead Pedestal #2
Razor: Merkur 37c Slant
Blade: Polsilver stainless (1)
After: Alum, Superdrug Forest Fresh AS, Coral Skin Food, Davidoff Coolwater ASB

SOTD20130503_zpsed4c9dca.jpg

Cella week Day 5.
Another consistent lathering from Cella, all week I've had great results using this soap/bowl/brush combination.
Tiny weeper, I think due to the fact that the Slant can be very keen if any pressure at all is applied and I'm a bit out of practice with this razor. Alum feedback was that this shave was a little closer than previous days. Still a great result.

Have a great weekend, shavers.

I gave the Cella a miss today, I had had enough of the dry face, plus I got some new goodies whilst killing time between the school run and my dentist appointment.

Razor: Face washed with MdC Fougère sample and hot flannel.
Razor: MÜHLE 2013 R41 rose gold handle.
Blade: Personna lab blue. (1)
Brush: None!
Soap: Molinard Razoline non foaming shaving cream.
Aftershave: D. R. Harris Sandlewood.
Moisturiser: Jack Black double-duty face moisturiser.

[attachment=7186]

I shaved after the school run and dentist. I did miss the brush today though and the Razoline performed ok, it wasn't as good as most of my brush creams and soaps. The scent is pleasant, there is a rose note in there with I think it's citrus. There is a tingling on application that progressed to a sting by the third pass application, but that may be the first go with the R41. It won't last long, I used the same amount of the cream for each pass as I would use for a three pass shave with a brush and cream and it's quite expensive. I probably won't buy it again, it's nice but I have better and I enjoy my brushes too much, and the value for money aspect is poor. The 2013 R41 isn't a smooth razor by any stretch of the imagination, even with a shiny new lab blue loaded, but it's a good shaver, I'm nice and clean, a few weepers on my neck but a little more practice and all should be fine, and it's pretty, I like pretty. The moisturiser has an SPF rating of 20, not that it will be required today in Costa del Angus! :icon_razz:

Scott.

Prep: None!
Brush: Semogue Boar OC Cherry
Razor: Aubril 7/8" quarter hollow
Cream: TOBS Jermyn Street
Astringent: Osma Alum
Eau de Toilette: Penhaligon's English Fern

SOTD-13-05-03_zps4c60ec0d.jpg

Notes: Good clean shave, easy 2-pass and a touch for the jaw. Slight sting but very close.
Shaved with the 2nd of the pair of Aubril's I'd picked up. This one seems to be fractionally thicker and took more of a bevel than the first. Lovely razors.
Jermyn Street behaved itself today. Loves water as it dries quickly.

Friday afternoon.

Prep: Glycerine Soap Face Wash w/ Cold Water
Soap: MWF
Brush: Simpson Commodore X3
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Personna Med Prep (3)
Post: Thayers Cucumber WH, Clinique Post-Shave Healer, Clinique M Lotion
EdT: Lalique Hommage a l'Homme

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Friday 3rd May

sotd3513.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
Taylor's Grapefruit cream scuttle lathered
Simpson Milk churn best badger brush
Gillette 1955 Redtip superspeed
Personna lab blue (1)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
Myrsol Lemon aftershave

Lovely shave clean and smooth. Cool with the menthol from the Myrsol lemon.

Brian

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, white
NF Tubby 1, Tabac
ATT Atlas R1, Rapira SS (3)
Cold splash, Alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

For some reason the sum of the parts just didn't come together today... narrowly avoided a bloodbath. All soothed and sorted now... but a bit tender... that'll learn me!

This morning:

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Thiers-Issard "basic black", 11/16"
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Soap: Cella

I ain't going to use it for a week, but a day I can do. It's good stuff and no mistake.

Back
Top Bottom