SOTD: Saturday 12 - Friday 18 October 2024.

It most certainly is. Since I started this obsession hobby I see things differently. I didn’t see crappy leaving present / drinking vessel, I saw ……..shaving bowl
Great idea, when I started last year I was using a small chef’s bowl (the bowl being small, not the chef!) which worked a treat but I was worried about dropping it, broken glass on the bathroom floor not being a good idea!) I do have a quaich but my wife has it in a display cabinet with other silver things - hhmmm!

You did ... thank you.

Fresh nose and I am most definitely getting Derby. It's not quite toilet puck citrus but it is industrial cleaner. The acrid undercurrent is not present today, so maybe that was a coincidental thing at the time when shaving last night. I'll see tonight as I intend to use the same kit - I like the performance of the soap.

Maybe I'll leave it outside for the day ... to "air".

SOTD Sat 12 Oct 2024

I’m late, I’m late for posting this shave

DSCosmetic green bowl
Proraso blue cream
Yaqi Cola 22mm synthetic brush
Merkur 38C Barberpole razor
Shark SS blade
Homemade splash (witch hazel and essential oils)
Nivea Sensitive PSB
Hugo by Hugo Boss EDT

Good shave, but forgot to post it last night! Poor old forgetful bugger! Anyways, nicely protective and moisturising lather, excellent razor and blade duo and a comfortable, nice smelling, smooth result. Happy me - as far as I remember!

I'll give the cream a go tonight in a full shave rather than a quick test Lather so I can get a better handle on the scent

tried a fresh blade in this R41 clone and it was still rough, like it was yesterday. I can rule out that particular blade being done and know this razor doesn't work with shark platinums for me. I switched to a different head after the first pass and it wasn't as tuggy and raw. this yaqi mellon is too mild for me so the end result isn't close enough but less irritation or aftershave sting. I'll try a shaper blade next and see how both do. the R41 head will soon be on its last chance.

13 October

Signature Soaps Capra Deva
Simpson Chubby 2
ESC Claymore Evolution
Feather Professional
Lucky Tiger face tonic

I don’t know how many shaves this Feather blade has completed, but it must be at least a dozen and it is still smooth and sharp and ready for more. The whole shave was totally top drawer. The Signature soaps are all fantastic and this one is exceptional. Two passes and a smooth face, no complaints here.

Sun 13th October

Aleppo soap- Shave pre wash
Stirling Syn 26mm
MWF
Alpha Claymore Evolution V1
Feather Proguard ( 3 )
GB Grey Flannel A/S Lotion

Got the lather wrong initially, once sorted an excellent Shave. For me the Proguard is a good blade , as it allows me to work quite hard at clearing stubborn growth, without mishap.

Last edited:
Razor - Rockwell 6S R3
Blade - Shark SS
Brush - Muhle Medium Silvertip
Lather - Extro Pirata

Sample pack time today… both for soap and blades. It’s a mixture of excitement and trepidation (apologies for the hyperbole, it’s Sunday afternoon and there’s nothing on the telly). No trepidation for the soap, I’ve used all the samples at least once and I’d happily buy the big tub of any of them. The Extro is more croap-y than most and gave a great lather with a lovely delicate scent.

The Shark… I could tell it was a good ‘un from the very first scrape. I still followed a cautious three-passer, just in case. Next test is to try it in a different razor, other than my go-to Rockwell. It’s another blade for the Pantheon, I think.

Had a cuppa tea and having bangers and mash tonight… today just gets better.