SOTD: Saturday 2 December - Friday 8 December 2023.

SotD: 02/12/2023

Razor: Above The Tie SE1
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 SE, 1st use
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Kikier Ceramic Bowl
Preshave: Proraso Crema Pre Barba con Olio Di Sandalo Cream
Soap: Tabac Original Puck
Aftershave: Barber Station Devil's Water Aftershave
Additional Care: Osma Alum
Additional Care: Cold Water

Using a new blade for the first time is always a tricky point for me: blades apparently become 'sharper' after a few shaves. It happened this morning again with the new Schick Proline: it was scraping rather than shaving... The preshave and soap could not improve on that. So today only a three-star experience, but maybe better tomorrow. Nice weekend, everyone.
Blades improving after initial use. Anybody have thoughts as to why this may happen? It seems counter intuitive to me but I have noticed it.

Saturday 2nd December

ADCreHcNt46zrC8AlvQwi9afBYBmOcGiebe-02Fii6NFaLb0BnATIijbxNfe-5c5eFVdtcZ_cupHDkDC4-rArHe-MHXvE0QRWDDJ4t-7NDPiM-hzMTqI3rfmYCjyIEv9g1Ti2lV0uOK16MzByLUcS6qHwN3JbA=w800

Potter & Moore Lavender (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Mohawk w/PurTech Synthetic 22mm
Muhle Rocca (Polished Head) w/Souplex Bakelite Handle & BIC Chrome Platinum (2)
Brut Splash-On

My goodness me! What a perfect marriage of razor and blade! Super-smooth, super-safe, super-efficient ... super! True, you can't put a bad blade into a Muhle Rocca but that shave was, well, just amazing. I made three passes, which is unusual for me and really shows just how much I was enjoying it. In stark contrast to yesterday where I shaved with this BIC blade in an R89, my alum stone gleaned absolutely no rawness. Tonight, more like Personna Platinum Chrome than my comparison last night to the Shark Platinum.

That was memorable and noteworthy.

Really nice using the Potter & Moore, too. I like vintage soap.

Saturday 2nd December

ADCreHcNt46zrC8AlvQwi9afBYBmOcGiebe-02Fii6NFaLb0BnATIijbxNfe-5c5eFVdtcZ_cupHDkDC4-rArHe-MHXvE0QRWDDJ4t-7NDPiM-hzMTqI3rfmYCjyIEv9g1Ti2lV0uOK16MzByLUcS6qHwN3JbA=w800

Potter & Moore Lavender (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Mohawk w/PurTech Synthetic 22mm
Muhle Rocca (Polished Head) w/Souplex Bakelite Handle & BIC Chrome Platinum (2)
Brut Splash-On

My goodness me! What a perfect marriage of razor and blade! Super-smooth, super-safe, super-efficient ... super! True, you can't put a bad blade into a Muhle Rocca but that shave was, well, just amazing. I made three passes, which is unusual for me and really shows just how much I was enjoying it. In stark contrast to yesterday where I shaved with this BIC blade in an R89, my alum stone gleaned absolutely no rawness. Tonight, more like Personna Platinum Chrome than my comparison last night to the Shark Platinum.

That was memorable and noteworthy.

Really nice using the Potter & Moore, too. I like vintage soap.
I have one of these lavender P&M soaps. I don't think I've ever used it. Unless I have a duplicate I often feel like I can't use it; one for use, one for the museum.

I have one of these lavender P&M soaps. I don't think I've ever used it. Unless I have a duplicate I often feel like I can't use it; one for use, one for the museum.

Mate. We need to have some words. Take some photographs if you want to remember it unused ... and then get it ruddy lathered!

Lather is as you'd expect from a soap of that vintage. Very much akin to, say, Boots or Culmak from the '60s (I'm guessing the P&M is '60s ... maybe '70s?) with perhaps a creaminess beyond those. Dead easy to pull up a super-thick lather which has good residual slickness, particularly evident on my third pass which was more a quick swipe of the brush and then repeatedly washed razor so as to buff out any stragglers with water and that slickness.

DSC_8131.jpg
Battle of the Bloodletters
RAZOR: Muhle Tortoise Shell R103
BLADE: Gillette Nacet
RAZOR: Dscosmetic Z0 316L stainless steel
BLADE: Gillette Nacet
BRUSH: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E Gel Bulb
LATHER: Ach Brito Mogno Shaving Soap

For this shave, I compared two very different versions of the venerable R41. I shaved with the Muhle R103 on the right side of my face and the ZO 316L on the left side – I’m sure you know where this is going.
After two basic passes with the R103 (WTG and ATG), the left side was a respectable DFS. And with two very careful passes with the Chinese clone (both WTG), the right side was also DFS, with one weeper.
The Dscosmetic Z0 316L is not to be trifled with!

Mate. We need to have some words. Take some photographs if you want to remember it unused ... and then get it ruddy lathered!

Lather is as you'd expect from a soap of that vintage. Very much akin to, say, Boots or Culmak from the '60s (I'm guessing the P&M is '60s ... maybe '70s?) with perhaps a creaminess beyond those. Dead easy to pull up a super-thick lather which has good residual slickness, particularly evident on my third pass which was more a quick swipe of the brush and then repeatedly washed razor so as to buff out any stragglers with water and that slickness.
Sounds good!
The soaps have lasted this long. Seems a shame to use them up if I don't have a replacement on hand.. . Or is it just me? When it's gone it's gone, and eventually they'll all be gone if someone doesn't keep one back. That's my thinking, anyway.

I may use one of my five imperial leather Chubby shave soaps/sticks one day!

Sat 2nd December

Aleppo soap- Shave Pre Wash
Alpha Classic G4 28mm
Vitos Super Red
RR Hawk V3- A plate
Schick Proline ( 2 )

Not a bad Shave this morning but rather chilly as rather underdressed. Hope we do not get snowed in as we have invited a friend over on Sunday to share a roast I have planned. Rather than go out have got a rather special Chicken to cook, not the run of the mill ones from a supermarket.

IMG_0852.jpeg

I was also an avid marble enthusiast when I was a kid. Myself & best friend shared our collection, having knock out competition events with other schools...Do kids still play marbles i wonder?..Great days. (y)
We played marbles midday, but we knew it as Alleys. We couldn't play on the road or the pavement, so we played it in the gutter - watching out for drains. It was village life and traffic, but there was concrete all around the school. In autumn, conkers was more popular.

IMG_20231203_000750.jpg

I love the Droyt's as preshave.
The synthetic DSCosmetic brush is more gentle than my Simfix.
RedOne aftershave is good. All the range of fragrances are pleasant.

IMG_20231203_000945_1.jpg

An empty Simpsons unperfumed. A joy to use. Luckily I have two dozen more.
The unbranded blade wrapper is from a Solimo - Amazon's own brand. I've just achieved my tenth shave with it, but there's a story to it.
The razor is a Futur copy.
I gave my old Futur to a friend. He gave it back and said he couldn't get on with it. I tried it and scraped my face with it set on 0. Something is wrong with it. I cracked out my spare Futur and re-lived why I liked it.
I used to use it for blades where the aggressiveness was unknown to me. The Solimo was such a blade. Trying it on '1' was okay if a close shave wasn't needed. Going up with each shave, I landed on '2' by shave 5, and wasn't getting a close shave. I upped it to '3' for the next 5 shaves and was getting a comfortable yet close shave. I feel I was compensating for the edge fading from the blade.
If I had started on '3' for the first shave, it wouldn't have been so comfortable.
I can get a lot more mileage from a blade by using a more aggressive razor for the next 5 shaves, but an adjustable is easier.

Back
Top Bottom