SOTD: Saturday 23 December - Friday 29 December 2023.

27/12/23
Pre - Droyt's Vegetas Glycerine Soap
Brush - Vintage Butterscotch Culmak Plus Pure Bristle 1950
Soap - Stirling Soap co. Sandalwood
Razor - Pall Mall Circa 1920's "Wilkinson Special"
Blade - Wilkinson Sword 3 set wedge #I, II & III
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Macdui - Rosemary & Sandalwood
A/S - Proraso Red - Siege Canon decant
Wk 51 (5).jpgHone  (2).jpgHone  (1).jpg
I decided to give the re-honed Wilkie wedges a run out today.
Wedge #1 - WTG, a little "prickly" with some light tugging around the chin area.
Wedge #2 - XTG, similar to #1, a usable edge but not so smooth.
Wedge #3 - ATG, Probably the smoothest of the 3, however, this must have been the favourite blade of the original owner as it is actually a bit shorter spine to edge, this means it moves in the razor, quite unnerving, it will need some packing.
I have a SAS finish and you could not tell it is not BBS in passing, no indication from the splash so all in all a nice enough shave.
I will only use GEM blades in it from now on.
Happy belated Birthday Chris @Satanfriendly i hope you had a great day.
Enjoy your day all.

27/12/23
Pre - Droyt's Vegetas Glycerine Soap
Brush - Vintage Butterscotch Culmak Plus Pure Bristle 1950
Soap - Stirling Soap co. Sandalwood
Razor - Pall Mall Circa 1920's "Wilkinson Special"
Blade - Wilkinson Sword 3 set wedge #I, II & III
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Macdui - Rosemary & Sandalwood
A/S - Proraso Red - Siege Canon decant
View attachment 115002View attachment 115001View attachment 115000
I decided to give the re-honed Wilkie wedges a run out today.
Wedge #1 - WTG, a little "prickly" with some light tugging around the chin area.
Wedge #2 - XTG, similar to #1, a usable edge but not so smooth.
Wedge #3 - ATG, Probably the smoothest of the 3, however, this must have been the favourite blade of the original owner as it is actually a bit shorter spine to edge, this means it moves in the razor, quite unnerving, it will need some packing.
I have a SAS finish and you could not tell it is not BBS in passing, no indication from the splash so all in all a nice enough shave.
I will only use GEM blades in it from now on.
Happy belated Birthday Chris @Satanfriendly i hope you had a great day.
Enjoy your day

A really nice one thanks

IMG_20231227_161916.jpg
Nothing much to complain about with my second shave using the Neo Lux and NOS Wizamet blade, and first using the Great Wall brush. This had a strong animal ammonia smell which suggests it had never been used before. Sadly the label is coming off the brush already.
The only complaints I have were a tender skin after trying to get a close shave around the chin. It could have been closer against the grain in some of those areas.
No weepers unlike last time.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Neo Lux Schrägschnitt
Blade: Super Iridium Wizamet (NOS)
Brush: Great Wall (vintage)
Lather: RazoRock Zi Peppino
Aftershave: Novon Old Marine cologne

20231227_180404.jpg
My Shave today consisted of...

Prep Signature soaps shower scrub.
Brush Highlander LE2023 Boar.
Soap Sterling Haverford
Razors Shave Factory Shavette and Raz=r.
Blade Dorco Half blade.
Aftershave Haverford.

I thought I would buy the cheap deal on offer in the forum for a Shavette , pack of Dorco half blades, Styptic matches and a stick of Arko. All for the princely sum of £5.99 delivered to my door.
I have never used a Shavette before so really have nothing to compare it too but I would say it would make a great practice tool to learn straight shaving, as I found it more forgiving than any of my straights.
The sharpness difference is like night and day and my straights are sharper by a longing long long way, lethal even.
Not a bad shave, I will give it a few goes before forming a real opinion. I will say the blade needed watching to make sure it seated straight in the unit.
Have a great day everyone.

Wednesday 27th December

ABLVV86UGOLUgmpx3m4_5tJSyWOuqWnvMqOaFa9AAJspVeaD1JC4u4hGmckdpcwsiu0pqQOs5JTVZryM6kj4x_gfMWLgEib9CwABVNymeaVI1ru95Mxs4vUfTWJj3dolbfeL9ll8CsT2UAFDE6rA-PU-CK8qaQ=w800

Godrej Shaving Round & Omega 10108 Pure Bristle
Flying Eagle (Vintage) & Flying Eagle (Shanghai) Carbon?
Brut Splash-On

Uffda! That was ... er, something!

Attractive packaging and some weirdness on AliExpress whereby adding this to my order made it overall cheaper and eligible for priority postage, and a mere 6 days later they dropped through my letterbox. I wasn't expecting much as the reviews generally tell of this being the worst blade in existence ... okay, with some competition from the Balaka and the "not for shaving" Tiger three-hole (which I think is the same edge as the Leon Superfine).

Anyway, not expecting anything amazing, I loaded the blade into a vintage Flying Eagle razor which itself is not a bad thing! Kinda cheap, but at the time it was a cheapo copy of the Tech (well, the Personna clone of the Tech). As time has gone by, the Tech became the Sterling and the Personna clone baseplate also got thinner. In the final analysis, the Flying Eagle razor actually ain't that bad. Weights and measures? Well, the baseplate weighs in at 6g compared to 2g with the Sterling and 3g with the thinnest steel baeseplate I could find on the Personna. So, not actually at all bad but the cap is a bit rough and ready on the sides (not the bits that meet your face) and are incompatible with the Personna cap.

Okay, we're off ...

Started at the sidies and made an edge into the lather, stoke, another stoke ... sheesh! That's raw! Still very stubbly as well. Lather over and go at it again with little effect on the stubble. Neck, rest of cheeks, started on my upper lip and I'd had enough. I swapped the blade into my Muhle Rocca, coz you really can't put a bad blade into the Rocca ... right?

Wrong! Equally horrible.

With a very bad with the grain first pass that probably left me in worse shape that having not shaved, I switched to a Gillette Blue II to remediate the matter. Sorted!

Soap was fun. Not a mass of lather, but it's a slippery one. Damn good splash of Brut with a pat around my neck, chest and top of head. Wowzers! That smarted! Home Alone? My face looked red raw, kinda like when I'd shaved with the silver plated Gillette single ring (I'm allergic to silver, clearly). No claret, but the Flying Eagle certainly had his tallons out!

If you were curious about those vintage Gillette Blues but didn't want to risk the tetanus, this could be your answer.

Nil points

Wednesday 27th December

Soap • Folk Soap
Brush • DS Cosmetics Synbad
Razor • Razorock Hawk V3
Blade • Schick Proline P (2)
Post • Pinaud Clubman Aftershave

Just what I needed after working in the wind and rain for most of the day.
Folk Soap really is a very good performer. Easy to load and lather, with a nice scent to boot.

Back
Top Bottom