SOTD: Saturday 24 - Friday 30 August 2024.

Thu 29 Aug

Pre: Cerave bar soap + Proraso blue
Razor - Fatip Originale Grande Copper
Blade - Feather
Soap - House of Mammoth Smash
Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Special Edition Noir Synthetic

Very enjoyable shave with the second outing for the copper Fatip. I like the open comb a lot - works very well with the Feather blade (also 2nd outing), although the blade was on its last legs sharpness wise towards the end of the shave.

The soap was kindly sent to me by @ATG and it made the shave. Thoroughly enjoyed the bourbon and tobacco scent and it produced a huge amount of luxurious lather in the bowl without using that much soap. Excellent cushioning for the shave. My first attempt to copy @chard52142 failed miserably. I won't try again

Last edited:

My Shave today consisted of...
Prep 3P Pre shavecream.
Brush Highlander Black Tuxedo.
Soap Executive Shaving Bay Rum cream.
Bowl Captains choice Obsidian Copper.
Razor Blackland Sabre v2 plate 2.
Blade Gem (3).
Aftershave St johns Bay Rum cooooorrr.

Shave number 2 and trying out plate number 2.
I think I over hydrated the Bay rum as the shave felt a little rough, tomorrow I am going back to the Watchman just to see.

I got a lovely 3 pass shave but definitely not as close, I could tell as my skin didn’t feel the same when I ran my hand across my face.
Tomorrow I am going to use plate 1, and might even go for a headshave.
Still too early to have a real opinion but it's a great razor for sure.

Enjoy the night.

Thanks Richard. Wonderful lather, as always.
Best Regards
Brian

SOTD Thu 29 Aug 2024

Not a bad Thursday shave, shave

1970’s glass bowl
Proraso Green cream
Omega 10049 boar brush
KCG head with no name handle
Astra SP blade
Homemade splash (witch hazel and essential oils)
Forest Fresh ASL
Nivea Sensitive PSB
‘Rennie’ the rubber duck (still not sure why!)

That was better, good lather with plenty of glide and cushion, blade still sharp and smooth in the Gillette head. Have seen others compare it to the similar Muhle/Merkur heads, I can see why, but IMHO it’s not as good. Maybe I’m prejudiced as it’s a 3 piece, but I don’t find it as comfortable. Result was not in doubt though, smooth and fragrant, very good indeed.

SOTD Friday 30 August
  • Razor Gillette British Rocket FlareTip
  • Blade Gillette Minora Stainless (12)
  • Pre-Shave Tricare Goats Milk
  • Brush Synthetic
  • Soap Wilkinson Sword Black
  • Post Shave Thayers Witch Hazel - Unscented
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Post Shave Balm

The Morning Shave.
The Gillette Minora Stainless blade was in my c1950’s Gillette British Rocket FlareTip today.

I collected a couple of very minor weepers from today’s shave. This blade has finally lost its edge. After 12 full head & face shaves the Gillette Minora will be swapped out.
Must be honest with the quality, this is a great daily shave blade, especially if travelling and not wanting to take an assortment.

This was part of a group participation shave; I do usually have a couple blades on the go at once to rotate.
Looking forward to next week’s choices. I have a few blades from a 20-sample pack.

I couldn’t get the Feather Lite ( Green ) to work but i never tried the other settings.
i just stick with the 3 Dot

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Kent BLK8 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Moon Old School
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2.5)
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum(2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Avon Öland After Shave Lotion
Scent: Santa Maria Novella Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne EdC

I know the R89 is really highly regarded by most people but I just can't seem to get a close enough shave out of it. even with a sharp blade, a heavy bulldog handle, four passes with some pressure applied, I got a cut but still feeling some stubble. night and day from yesterday's super close R41 shave. not sure what else to try so this might be another one that's just not for me.

Simpson Chubby 1 Super
Karve Overlander
Polsilver Łódź (3)
ES shaving cream Bay Rum
Thayer’s cucumber witch hazel
Old Spice Fresh Lime a/s

Had a craving for a bit of Bay Rum recently so I picked up this cream from ES when they announced a 50% discount. The cream performs exceptionally well. Very slick and protective, and the scent is a pleasant, well rounded take on the Bay Rum spectrum. It’s got a prominent clove note which gives a slight numbing tingle. It’s kinda weird, but adds to the comfort of the shave. I think I like it?
As an aside, it’s a shame to see Executive Shaving cease trading, and I regret not trying their range of creams previously. Perhaps they will return in a scaled down capacity as originally reported. I would certainly try more of their in house products.

Enjoy yours gents.