SOTD: Saturday 25 November - Friday 1 December 2023.

Razor = Rockwell 6s
Blade = Kai Stainless
Brush = Shavemac 400 with Boar Knot
Soap = Dr Harris Sandalwood Stick
Splash = Boots Freshwood
Balm = Boots Freshwood Balm
IMG_0104.jpegWell first shave here in Angola,
I had a complete disaster getting here from start to finish but never mind i’m here now.
I decided to go for the Dr Harris Stick,
Iv used these many times in the past although i haven’t tried the Sandalwood.
These sticks are very underrated imho however the scent on this one isn’t so strong,
For me it’s a 3/10 on scent strength but the performance is unquestionable.
A real performer.
The brush was an Emporium buy and i can’t think for the life of me what knot it is unfortunately.
The blade is one i haven’t tried in around 3 years as i didn’t like it.
Today was an eye opener it was first class,
The Rockwell pretty much deals with every blade.
I did manage to give myself a weeper in my neck line although 100% my fault being an idiot.
I’m night shift tonight so it’s an early ish shave for me i don’t want to be smelling of aftershave as the mosquitoes out here are killers and i don’t say that lightly.
Over all iv spent about 100 quid on repellents and shit so fingers crossed they all work.
So from a roasting hot Angola all the best & enjoy your week

27/11/23
Pre - Pears Transparent Original
Brush - Silver Birch Brushes - Cocobolo 26mm Silvertip
Soap - Stirling Soap co. Sandalwood
Razor - Blackland Dart
Blade - Personna Lab Blue
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Macdui - Rosemary & Sandalwood
A/S - OSP Sandalwood
Wk 48 (3).jpg
A much more efficient shave today with the Lab Blue/Dart combo, although i do think (for me) the Rapira Blue is a more forgiving and comfortable blade to use in the Dart.
Can't be certain of course but I have some Polsilver Super Iridium that don't have the brand name on the top of the blade but they do say Extra Stainless at the bottom in that sort of font.
Could be one of those.
As for the Unknown blade @NotTheStig i do not think it is a Polsilver as i really did not get on with those and sold on or PIF'd what i had. Also the Paper wrapper was a heavy white paper similar to the Kai wrapper. I could be wrong though as my technique has also improved.
Enjoy your day all.

DSCN2411.JPG
First use, hot of the post from AliExpress, a Shield HalfDE head on a DScosmetic THT handle with (half) a WilkinsonSword blade. Overall, very nice, milder than I expected from other reviews. Good results, no fuss, and blade straightforward to load. (Only hard bit was balancing the razor on the edge of the mug for the photo!) Very pleased with this, so far!

The usual belated start to the new week of SOTD's , so in essence, nothing new. But shave I do all the same and here it is, my first entry to this new week of SOTD's thematically entitled, 'Tax'

Saturday

20231125_123002.jpg

Razor tax - Lambda Athena
Blade tax - Wizzamet Super Iridium
Brush tax - Highlander TSR LE 2023
Soap tax - Signature Soaps Condate
Moisturiser tax - L'Occitane Cade balm
Smelly tax - Van Cleef Ambre Imperial

'And so here we have it, the tax predictions for this coming year and some photos of naked people while at it'

Tax, something we can't avoid and detest. Shaving, something we shouldn't avoid and love. I am sure though somewhere in amongst this shave some form of tax is involved. A love and hate pastime.

A once in a while out of the box experience for the Athena. A beautiful razor which makes me drool (so does ageing and beautiful women, but that usually involves slavering as well) and has to be one of the finest razors on planet shave. But, there is a but which come with it. An absolute faff when it come to completing shaving duties. Remove blade, wash, buff and back in your box you go. It does though strike a conversation point in the bathroom. Not as if I have many conversations in the bathroom outside of 'Chris, will you stop fannying around and get the fuck out the shower room'

Back on track. The Condate has whiled its way in to fast becoming a firm favourite of mine. The new Londinium? May be. Will it take its No.1 soap mantle away? May be. Can you eat it? Not what I am aware of. What it does though is quickly whip up a superb quality lather which allows the Athena to quickly remove it in a superbly efficient and slick manner. End result? One most welcome and wonderful bit of shavingmanship and a brilliantly smooth and grinning face.

A quick word for the brush. Nice brush giles.

'Chris, will you stop fannying around and get the fuck out the shower room'

Time to move on to some Japanese ladies. And in this case from a woman who appears to live in a speaker stack. Panicroomtakeshit

Sunday

20231126_212538.jpg

Due to recent tax changes in the Autumn budget, SOTD photos are now to be taxed per number of items included. Hence you get a picture of the razor and naff all else on this occasion.

Tax man - Stainless Mongoose
Tax return - Kai Titan Mild
Tax form - Cadman 24mm Tuxedo
Tax credit - Signature Soaps Londinium
Tax demand - Tropics moisturiser
Taxidermist (stuff it all) - C88

'Copy that. Urgently require.......300 razor blades, 150 razors, 100 jars shaving soap and did you say, 86 toilet brushes?'

One of those get out of the shower room quick shaves before my life becomes devoid of testicles. So call upon the some of the quickest accruements in the cabinet. In, out, shake it all about and out the door faster than a speeding sloth. But a damn fine effort and happiness prevailed.

And they all lived happily ever after

Hump Back? I'd never heard of them either until a few minutes back. But I like their style and the fact they just happen to be Japanese girly rock

I love you all

Last edited:
Monday 27 November
Blue skies too good to last now back to new normal, wet and windy.
An enjoyable shave is called for today just to brighten things up

Razor WR1 oc, .86 gap
Blade Personna Super USA
Soap EJ. Sandalwood
Brush unknown maker but now re knotted with a lush synthetic and brought back to life
2 passes wtg and atg, pick ups and bbs finish with no issues. All elements of the team performed admirably.
Have a great start to the week fellas!

IMG_0389.jpeg

20231127_121948-01.jpeg

My Shave today consisted of...
Prep Proraso preshave balm
Brush Highlander LE Badger brush.
Soap Geo F Trumpers GFT cream.
Razor Reggie's Mars razor.
Blade Derby Premium.
Bowl Obsidian Copper.
Aftershave Jean paul gaultier Ultra Male.

My Leaf razor is broken so today is the turn of my Mars to see how it fairs.
I was sad enough to watch a few videos on Trumpers and the general consensus is to use a Badger brush for lathering and my lovely Highlander certainly did a grand job of it.
Once again I just love everything about it especially the fact I don't bother to moisturise afterwards as my skin already feels amazingly soft.
Reggie's Mars razor is an excellent razor for the face and highly recommended but I massacred the back of my head, the wife thought Freddie Kruger had ran his hand down the back.
Please note the razor is fine it's purely down to my very bad technique as I am learning to shave my head with this style of razor.
Blood bath aside a fantastic shave with skin so smooth it feels like a new borns.
Have an epic day/evening.

Reggie's Razors Titan ; The Gentleman Super Platinum ; Signature Soaps Capra ; RazoRock 400 SHD Badger

231127-SOTD.jpg
Cheers Martyn, hope you’re enjoying your retirement ⛳

Monday 27th November

ADCreHdlDm4-PDUW4CR-Md9CKDZAbW1qr-SxNPRa_JLnLA8oQmsCKTGYv9pj-Keg-DJSZ-y-1oVX1AC0Hj8DzPdsU_jpFQs8dn9ErnjjFc5Yk2j3i_aSDeQlzL5W1Zl_KC7LcaGdaazGR2vzowuSfA73lwKxMQ=w800

Dr Selby Lavender Shaving Bowl & DSC Professional w/Synbad Synthetic 26mm
Muhle R89 w/Red Horseman Swing (Stainless) Handle & Treet Platinum (1)
Ach Brito Eau de Lavande Cologne

Ahhhh ... a fresh Treet Platinum. Lovely!

Revisiting this Muhle R89 which had been tossed into my bits box in favour of vintage and more desirable things. In actual fact it is a superb razor (which we all still recommend as a first razor to newcomers ... or a Tech) which has already excellent tolerances so that the blade just sits right without fiddling. Easy to find the perfect angle and just lets the shaver get on with it as they please.

I have a renewed appreciation of this humble razor and rather wish there was a straight-up stainless version of it. Sure, there's the Rocca which is my favourite razor (heresy, I know ... don't tell my Hybrid Tech ... or @TobyC) and could only get better if there was an all brass version made ... but this R89 really is solid! An all-stainless or all-brass version would be really fly.

... and yes, I'm going for a lavender week with Dr Selby, Boots Old English Lavender, Ach Brito and Brut. I probably have some other lavender things which might occur to be during the week.

Last edited:
My second shave with a bunch of razors kindly lent by @Mike Smart. Rather than continue a second shave with the Rex Ambassador I decided to jump straight into the Occams Oren. I like the style of this razor and have never tied any of these long thin single edge blades that are expensive but have a reputation for lasting lots of shaves.
I left the medium aggression head on.

Mike was kind enough to lend me several variations and I picked one at random, not yet knowing which are considered the better/worse ones anyway. I was struck how easily it ploughed through my stubble. Three passes plus touch-ups and I got a very close shave with only very mild irritation in certain areas. Interestingly, not a single sweeper anywhere.

I liked the razor overall; I didn't find the handle shape as intuitive in practice as a cylindrical type and I am used to using the other side of the razor head to shave in the opposite direction (even though I have used injectors). The weight and balance and width and height of the head all worked for me. I wasn't sure I'd loaded the blade correctly initially as I thought dropping it in from the top would cause it to fall through . That did happen but only with a lot of encouragement from me; it was fine during the shave.
I'll be giving this another run soon (possibly tomorrow). I want to get a good feel for this new-to-me razor and blade combo and see how many shaves I can get out of the blade.
Screenshot_20231127-192343.pngScreenshot_20231127-192233.png

Monday 27th November

ADCreHdlDm4-PDUW4CR-Md9CKDZAbW1qr-SxNPRa_JLnLA8oQmsCKTGYv9pj-Keg-DJSZ-y-1oVX1AC0Hj8DzPdsU_jpFQs8dn9ErnjjFc5Yk2j3i_aSDeQlzL5W1Zl_KC7LcaGdaazGR2vzowuSfA73lwKxMQ=w800

Dr Selby Lavender Shaving Bowl & DSC Professional w/Synbad Synthetic 26mm
Muhle R89 w/Red Horseman Swing (Stainless) Handle & Treet Platinum (1)
Ach Brito Agua Lavande Cologne

Ahhhh ... a fresh Treet Platinum. Lovely!

Revisiting with Muhle R89 which had been tossed into my bits box in favour of vintage and more desirable things. In actual fact it is a superb razor (which we all still recommend as a first razor to newcomers ... or a Tech) which has already excellent tolerances so that the blade just sits right without fiddling. Easy to find the perfect angle and just lets the shaver get on with it as they please.

I have a renewed appreciation of this humble razor and rather with there was a straight-up stainless version of it. Sure, there's the Rocca which is (heresy ... don't tell my Hybrid Tech ... or @TobyC) my favourite razor and could only get better if there was an all brass version made ... but this R89 really is solid! An all-stainless version would be really fly.

... and yes, I'm going for a lavender week with Dr Selby, Boots Old English Lavender, Ach Brito and Brut. I probably have some other lavender things which might occur to be during the week.
A Gillette old type cap should fit the base plate pretty well. At least it does mine.
Not quite the same thing as an all-brass EJ DE89, but at least it's halfway there. :)

Back
Top Bottom