SOTD: Saturday 25 November - Friday 1 December 2023.

SOTD Mon 27 Nov 2023

9B3F7EF4-26FF-438D-BE4E-947BAAED1106.jpeg
Pre. Imperial Leather face wash
Bowl. Glass
Cream. Proraso Red
Brush. Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Razor. Merkur 34C
Blade. Derby Extra (4)
Post. Lather remains face wash, cold rinse, alum, Forest Fresh ASL, Nivea Replenishing ASB, Mastermind Vintage EDT

Been cold and wet here all day so I reckoned a ‘winter weight’ cream was called for and the Proraso Red was perfect. And it went well with the brush, razor and blade to produce a 2+ pass excellent, smooth shave.

08C47E6B-0B73-4960-A2A3-58D0FFEAEB7E.jpeg
I’m watching you (maybe)!

View attachment 113919
I’m watching you (maybe)!

I really enjoy your dog of the day pictures. Lovely!

I should include my cat of the day since this nosey bugger always seems to get involved in my daily picture ...

ADCreHfJe9PfXRPAd76KQuxsoiOuow_jJcFpGLF7YqQUYz4Ky1c96yqmIZ6QZE48EXMJ8SBY-DshkvNWloe1MFTzmlSqQ6SmAJNaoppe05fN4QtHaXkAvRnLNPUm_kaynDxDwquQFpkf7Bb0GACPB2HavEnOgA=w1200

Well first shave here in Angola,
I had a complete disaster getting here from start to finish but never mind i’m here now.

I sympathise.

My experience of Luanda was extortionate food prices. I was a bit put out when I looked through a chandler's invoice for our ship's provisions and saw carrots at $98/Kg and lettuces at $100 per head and many other silly prices

I queried the lettuces by example with the chandler.

'Oh they are very expensive because we have to import them specially by plane from South Africa'

I remember my reply well

'Well I hope they got a bloody seat each on the plane in that case'

Roll on back to Las Palmas where we were working from. Hurrah hurrah for Gran Canaria and its friendly beautiful ladies. And cheap lettuces

Last edited:
SOTD 27 November 2023

Pre-shave:
Cold water splash, Muguso pre-shave oil (classic scent).
Soap: Tabula Rasa Steampunk.
Brush: Simpsons 2 - Best Badger.
Bowl: Captain's Choice.
Razor: Karve Overlander (SS).
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1).
Post: Cold water splash, D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave and Tabula Rasa Steampunk Aftershave Gel.

A lovely evening shave - SWMBO out for the evening, nice quiet home, relaxed atmosphere.

The Karve Overlander landed last week, I was intrigued in this razor, from several SOTD posts. I am impressed. Very well designed, built and finished. I enjoy shaving with the Karve Christopher Bradley OC and SB brass razors. I found the Overlander to be a step-up: both in terms of smoothness and efficiency, compared to the Karve Brass razors I'm lucky to have in my den.

Over the last week, I have found the post shave skin feel excellent - smooth, comfortable, zero irritation. Strangely, it feels after a shave with the Overlander that it takes longer for the stubble to grow back. However, with the colder weather I feel I need to use a heavier moisturiser after shaving with the Overlander.

The Tabula Rasa Steampunk soap is lovely - gluide, protection and scent all top drawer. It's been a long time since I have used a shaving bowl - very enjoyable ritual whippng up a lather and arguably better quality lather.

A DFS+/BBS- shave, with no issues to report - 3 passes of joy: WTG and XTG (L-R and R-L).

IMG_0114.jpg

All the best,

Chris

Last edited:
Razor = Rockwell 6s
Blade = Kai Stainless
Brush = Shavemac 400 with Boar Knot
Soap = Dr Harris Sandalwood Stick
Splash = Boots Freshwood
Balm = Boots Freshwood Balm
View attachment 113901Well first shave here in Angola,
I had a complete disaster getting here from start to finish but never mind i’m here now.
I decided to go for the Dr Harris Stick,
Iv used these many times in the past although i haven’t tried the Sandalwood.
These sticks are very underrated imho however the scent on this one isn’t so strong,
For me it’s a 3/10 on scent strength but the performance is unquestionable.
A real performer.
The brush was an Emporium buy and i can’t think for the life of me what knot it is unfortunately.
The blade is one i haven’t tried in around 3 years as i didn’t like it.
Today was an eye opener it was first class,
The Rockwell pretty much deals with every blade.
I did manage to give myself a weeper in my neck line although 100% my fault being an idiot.
I’m night shift tonight so it’s an early ish shave for me i don’t want to be smelling of aftershave as the mosquitoes out here are killers and i don’t say that lightly.
Over all iv spent about 100 quid on repellents and shit so fingers crossed they all work.
So from a roasting hot Angola all the best & enjoy your week
I read years ago that eucalyptus is an effective mosquito repellant - on a work trip to Riga I never thought to take any anti-mosquito spray. However, I had Proraso (Green) aftershave balm - my colleagues were bitten to hell, and I was okay! I see the CDC now cite lemon eucalyptus as effective as DEET.

All the best, Chris

Last edited:
A Gillette old type cap should fit the base plate pretty well. At least it does mine.
Not quite the same thing as an all-brass EJ DE89, but at least it's halfway there. :)

I sympathise.

My experience of Luanda was extortionate food prices. I was a bit put out when I looked through a chandler's invoice for our ship's provisions and saw carrots at $98/Kg and lettuces at $100 per head and many other silly prices

I queried the lettuces by example with the chandler.

'Oh they are very expensive because we have to import them specially by plane from South Africa'

I remember my reply well

'Well I hope they got a bloody seat each on the plane in that case'

Roll on back to Las Palmas where we were working from. Hurrah hurrah for Gran Canaria and its friendly beautiful ladies. And cheap lettuces
Yeah it’s expensive all right.
My colleague just bought a tube of toothpaste at £8 lol mind you the important things in life are cheap like Beer lol.
I’m actually in Lobito an hour flight from Luanda and dare i say nicer and marginally safer.
Although my mad weekends are now officially offer.
It’s not worth the risk

I read years ago that eucalyptus is an effective mosquito repellant - on a work trip to Riga I never thought to take any anti-mosquito spray. However, I had Proraso (Green) aftershave balm - my colleagues were bitten to hell, and I was okay! I see the CDC now cite lemon eucalyptus as effectiv a DEET.

All the best, Chris
That’s interesting as i bought some mosquito repellent from Indonesia,
The locals swear by it so i bought a few bottles and that is exactly like Eucalyptus so must be something in it.
Well first shift done & no bites.
was raining a bit tonight so they’ll be out in force later.
Wish i brought Proraso lol

SOTD: 28th November 2023.

7.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Nivea Men Power 24H Fresh Effect Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Simple Pure Bar Soap.
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Brown Synthetic. (Faux Horse)
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.
Lather: Blue's goat milk Shaving Soap.
Razor: Merkur 34C. (Face) - Lord Silver Star. (D3)
Razor: Supply V2 (**) base plate. (Head) - Personna Injector PTFE. (D4)

Cold water Face & Head wash with brush squeezing's,/ Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./ Alum Rub./Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel/Creightons Sensitive PSB./ P&G Old Spice Hawkridge ASL.

Greetings,

Early morning face & head shave

After the wonderful shave using the Chinese cologne soap in my previous shave I have went for the Blue's goat milk soap another Chinese made soap that I used a lot when I first started out, however, I can't remember the last time that I added it to my soap rotation the soap creates an excellent lather and like the shave Chinese cologne soap, it leaves an excellent post shave feel.

An enjoyable close face & head shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous splash of P&G Old Spice Hawkridge ASL.

My face & precious swede are feeling smooth & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

SOTD: 28/11/2023

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather ProGuard - 15, 8th use
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Kikier Ceramic Bowl
Preshave: Proraso Crema Pre Barba con Olio Di Sandalo Cream
Soap: Eufros Premium Tallow Dama De Noche Puck
Aftershave: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919 Aftershave
Additional Care: Osma Alum
Additional Care: Cold Water

Have a grand day!