SOTD: Saturday 29 June - Friday 5 July 2024.

Last night's shave as there is no shave today due to being asked at short notice to go tug things on the river*. Hence, not technically a 'catch up'. It never was.

Anyway here we are and a shave in karaoke format and one themed, 'Heaven'

20240701_134906.jpg

Heavenly razor - Ikon B1
Heaven is a good blade - Polsilver Lodz
This monkey's gone to heaven - Highlander TSR LE 2023
Heaven is for monkeys - Bath House Cuban Cedar and Lime
Shaven heaven - L'Occitane Cade balm
South of heaven - Bath House Cuban Cedar and Lime

'How far south?'

Well it's that time chaps and chapesses. Hit play and somehow make the words fit..

"Shave me, shave me, shave me and do that Ikon trick
"The one that makes me scream", I said
"The one that makes me bleed", I said
And struck the blade across my neck

Why on earth did you do that?
You promised me, you wouldn't you twat
I'd shave away with you
Now I'm running away from you

Spinning on that sharpened edge
You cut my face and I stypt my head
I tried all the different ways
To try and stem the flow
"There's no toilet paper, it's gone astray?", I said
"Ikon won't you ever know that I'm in love with you
Ikon, I'm in love with you?"

 Paper
Soft and strong
Paper
It's lost and gone
 Ikon
Needs styptic angels
Shaving across the deepest oceans
Rinsing in the water
But you shave like a dream
But you shave like a dream

The LE brush licked me into shape
I must've been asleep or in a daze
And moved your lips to breathe my name
I opened up my eyes
And found I'd lathered myself alone
Alone and tugging on the sea
That stole my dream, the one I loved
And carried on pulling that's the job for me

 Now
Soft and lonely
I'm
Lost and lonely
 Ikon
Shaves like heaven

And minus all the blab, was it a good shave you boring old fart? Indeed it was. Heavenly

Just like these Japanese ladies....

*The things Mrs Satanfriendly has me do

Last edited:
FofXY5c.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: WestMan Utopia
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Vitos Tobacco Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac EdP

Thanks for your feedback Paul, I see I will have to sharpen up my technique with this type of soap.

From the box, the formulation is given as

Potassium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palmate, Glycerin, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Panthenol, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Butyphenyl Methylpropional, Citral, Geraniol

Which to my untrained eye looks similar to your list but without the new formulation additions. So, mine is old stock? Not that it should matter.

I wash and dry my face and start by loading the brush in the pot and then apply and continue face lathering. To be fair after the foam dissipates it does leave a thin layer on my skin which aides the shave but only for one pass.
Clearly work in progress for me! Cheers Al

The list I gave above came direct from T&H when I queried them in January 2024 - they did not have the ingredient list for their 2024 reformulation but said it would be weeks (dunno if they've hit the shelves yet). Similar query with TOBS early January and they said their Sandalwood was gaining a new formulation - I bought a week or two ago ... and ... it's still the old formulation. I think there's a lot still in the system.

Fun that the formulation T&H gave me is different to what's actually on the box! Your ingredient list reads far closer to the current Floris (which we know is the base) and that makes a lot more sense.

Again, more loading ... ensure an practically dry brush.

Something else which might help? Dunno. I remove the cake from the dish and hold it in my hand to load from - the dish gets less trauma and the cake stays still. Residual soap on my hand gives me a quick wash prior to lathering up.

Keep practicing!

Maybe Apsley has spotted a gap in the market now that MWF is universally latherable ... Apsley is the new "those who can" vs "those who cannot". Are you one of the chosen? Haha!

SOTD 03-July
1000030797.jpg
Brush: Wald J4
Soap: HoM Ausflug
Razor: Atelier Durdan - No 7 (1.1)
Blade: Wizamet

Lovely shave his morning, playing around with the daughters coloured card again for pictures. One day she'll tell me off for stealing her arts and crafts supply!

This 1.1 gap was much better, didn't feel like I was being flayed alive on the ATG pass!

Have a grand one all!

Cheers

Marc

July 3, 2024

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Zenith EURO/RX
Soap: Denton Majik: Unscented (Gamechanger)
Fragrance: Sahraa by Fragrance Du Bois

off to see oncologist this afternoon, so hoping I will be get the ok to start using some scented soaps again.. after all the radiation I have to take extra care of my neck and face..

Wed 3rd July

Aleppo soap - Shave pre wash
Omega 11126 boar
L’Occitane Cade soap
Asylum Injector
Schick Proline ( 4 )
Pitralon Classic A/S Lotion

Another good Shave with this “ Injector”, might try using a Personna blade as with this Razor one is not dependent on a dodgy dispenser.

IMG_0380.jpeg

Tuesday 2 June

Started today on my adjustable razors. In many respects I wonder why I bother with non adjustables when being able to increase or decrease aggressiveness for different passes does make, for me anyway, a better shaving experience. It’s “needs” and “wants” of course fellas :ROFLMAO:

So, today the Rex, #4 wtg and #2 atg and pick ups. I tried Truefitt & Hill Apsley for the second time today. Applying one of my best synthetic brushes I worked a very rich and full lather, carefull not to overdue the water. Unfortunately, yet again the lather disappeared from my face quickly requiring me to keep adding more lather to my drying fizzog. Probably the worst shaving soap by a long way that I have ever used. It comes in nice packaging though and smells good. That said, eventually bbs finish was achieved but my face still feels sore 3 hours later.

If any TSR member has used this soap successfully please pm me with advice as to what I might be doing wrong with it. :unsure:

Thanks and enjoy the day fellas!

View attachment 122280

You are not alone with your thoughts on the T&H Apsley.

I've never had any great success with it and I suffer the same dilemma in that it's gone before I can get a razor anywhere near it. Given I've got far better Soaps in the cupboard it sits at the back getting little or no attention. I foresee it ending its life as a bath soap. And probably a crap one at that.

Disappointed

3 July

Martin de Candre Original
Simpson Duke 3
Merkur 39c
Feather Hi-Stainless
Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

7BC55ED2-0CAA-44F7-8123-37A63D286A23.jpeg
Martin de Candre soap, for me, is one of the best ever. A fabulous lather with the Duke 3 this morning and an easy two pass shave. The 39c in its current iteration is a real gem, very smooth and efficient. A classy shave finished off with a generous splash of Floïd. What’s not to love.

Tabac shave stick
SOC Cherrywood boar
Ern Crown & Sword 5/8ths extra hollow
Mongoose B2
Nivea aftershave balm

Refreshed the straight on 3 micron diamond then 0.25 micron diamond before stropping on English bridle leather, a better edge but still room for improvement. So finished of last pass with Mongoose to clean up around mouth area then applied a smear of aftershave balm, result a BBS face. The SOC boar seems to be shedding more lately even though I give it a good soak beforehand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom