SOTD: Saturday 29 June - Friday 5 July 2024.

Tuesday 2 June

Started today on my adjustable razors. In many respects I wonder why I bother with non adjustables when being able to increase or decrease aggressiveness for different passes does make, for me anyway, a better shaving experience. It’s “needs” and “wants” of course fellas :ROFLMAO:

So, today the Rex, #4 wtg and #2 atg and pick ups. I tried Truefitt & Hill Apsley for the second time today. Applying one of my best synthetic brushes I worked a very rich and full lather, carefull not to overdue the water. Unfortunately, yet again the lather disappeared from my face quickly requiring me to keep adding more lather to my drying fizzog. Probably the worst shaving soap by a long way that I have ever used. It comes in nice packaging though and smells good. That said, eventually bbs finish was achieved but my face still feels sore 3 hours later.

If any TSR member has used this soap successfully please pm me with advice as to what I might be doing wrong with it. :unsure:

Thanks and enjoy the day fellas!

IMG_0686.jpeg

2 July

Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Simpson Trafalgar T3
Merkur 39c
Feather Hi-Stainless
Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

D40FBB29-2053-4179-9837-4FADC74ECB4D.jpeg
What an utterly fabulous start to what appears to be a grey and uninspiring day out there. An easy and plentiful lather with the Fat and two quick passes with the slant for a smooth and presentable face. Good stuff.

Tuesday 2 June

Started today on my adjustable razors. In many respects I wonder why I bother with non adjustables when being able to increase or decrease aggressiveness for different passes does make, for me anyway, a better shaving experience. It’s “needs” and “wants” of course fellas :ROFLMAO:

So, today the Rex, #4 wtg and #2 atg and pick ups. I tried Truefitt & Hill Apsley for the second time today. Applying one of my best synthetic brushes I worked a very rich and full lather, carefull not to overdue the water. Unfortunately, yet again the lather disappeared from my face quickly requiring me to keep adding more lather to my drying fizzog. Probably the worst shaving soap by a long way that I have ever used. It comes in nice packaging though and smells good. That said, eventually bbs finish was achieved but my face still feels sore 3 hours later.

If any TSR member has used this soap successfully please pm me with advice as to what I might be doing wrong with it. :unsure:

Thanks and enjoy the day fellas!

View attachment 122280

Apsley is a different formulation to the regular T&H soaps which most certainly perform well. Alas, it has shea butter so I am never going to try it. That said, the formulation is shared with current Floris and that's known-good, so ... technique? My only pointer is to emphasise what you're already doing and that's to ensure you're using a dried brush (wet first, then squeeze out really well) and load for a longer time than you think necessary. It's a hard soap and you're not going make a dent by loading for a good while.

Face lather or bowl lather? I'm a face latherer and what I do then with a loaded brush is to wipe around my washed face to pick up all the residual water. I then lather to a quite dry lather. No further water added yet. Tiny dot, froth up under my chin and mix together with the drier lather. Result is a thick lather that I'm sure many folks would say is "too dry" and I say that when I see what folks on YouTube call lather when they're painting on foam. I don't like that sort of lather a do like thick and overpaintable.

I suppose the question is, how do you get on with other triple-milled soaps? It'll be same technique. But yes, not enough loading and too much water will produce an airy lather that might appear to just soak in.

Out of interest, which formulation is the soap?

Potassium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Panthenol, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Butyphenyl Methylpropional, Citral, Geraniol

... or the new one that they wouldn't tell me the formulation of but said it would follow the main crop in a matter of weeks. New formulations will have Potassium Laurate and Sodium Laurate in the list somewhere and/or Tetrasodium Iminodisuccinate in place of Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Last edited:
SOTD 02-July
1000030211.jpg
Brush: Wald A1
Soap: GFT Eucris
Razor: Atelier Durdan - No. 7 (1.5)
Blade: Wizamet

Part of the passaround for this razor, lovely looking device. With my penchant for the more efficient I thought I'd go all in on the top plate...ooof that was a close one. Perfectly smooth run on the first pass, switched to my standard ATG second pass and I most definitely felt that. I'm sure I could probably find an angle that would work but this may be a tad above what I could go for as a daily so I'll drop it down to the 1.1 and see how I go.

To be fair I shouldn't be surprised, when I loaded the blade on the 1.50 it looked terrifying, would've called it a crevasse rather than a gap!

Have a good one all!

Cheers

Marc

Apsley is a different formulation to the regular T&H soaps which most certainly perform well. Alas, it has shea butter so I am never going to try it. That said, the formulation is shared with current Floris and that's known-good, so ... technique? My only pointer is to emphasise what you're already doing and that's to ensure you're using a dried brush (wet first, then squeeze out really well) and load for a longer time than you think necessary. It's a hard soap and you're not going make a dent by loading for a good while.

Face lather or bowl lather? I'm a face latherer and what I do then with a loaded brush is to wipe around my washed face to pick up all the residual water. I then lather to a quite dry lather. No further water added yet. Tiny dot, froth up under my chin and mix together with the drier lather. Result is a thick lather that I'm sure many folks would say is "too dry" and I say that when I see what folks on YouTube call lather when they're painting on foam. I don't like that sort of lather a do like thick and overpaintable.

I suppose the question is, how do you get on with other triple-milled soaps? It'll be same technique. But yes, not enough loading and too much water will produce an airy lather that might appear to just soak in.

Out of interest, which formulation is the soap?

Potassium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Panthenol, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Butyphenyl Methylpropional, Citral, Geraniol

... or the new one that they wouldn't tell me the formulation of but said it would follow the main crop in a matter of weeks. New formulations will have Potassium Laurate and Sodium Laurate in the list somewhere and/or Tetrasodium Iminodisuccinate in place of Tetrasodium Etidronate.
Thanks for your feedback Paul, I see I will have to sharpen up my technique with this type of soap.

From the box, the formulation is given as

Potassium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palmate, Glycerin, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Panthenol, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Butyphenyl Methylpropional, Citral, Geraniol

Which to my untrained eye looks similar to your list but without the new formulation additions. So, mine is old stock? Not that it should matter.

I wash and dry my face and start by loading the brush in the pot and then apply and continue face lathering. To be fair after the foam dissipates it does leave a thin layer on my skin which aides the shave but only for one pass.
Clearly work in progress for me! Cheers Al

Has it changed your mind regarding the Blackbird Chris?
I've had a few more shaves with it now, P. The standard plate is definitely more comfortable. The titanium seems to be a more comfortable package all-round (from memory). It's still not the most comfortable razor I've tried but I've enjoyed using it. I still think it's the best looking DE razor on the market. Only time will tell now if I add one to the den.

Thank you again for the loan, my friend.

PXL_20240702_193623362~4.jpg
I hope I've now atoned for missing a day and this concludes tech June for me. and very enjoyable it was too. I look forward to seeing any other themes I can participate in future.

third shave on this rapira blade was smooth and irritation free but again, not that close. it's definitely not the sharpest of blades but pretty consistent and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom