SOTD: Saturday 3 February - Friday 9 February 2024.

SOTD Sat 3 Feb 2024

The force is weak in this one, shave
7A44C221-6C39-4250-82D5-693C175A4062.jpeg
Prep - shower, Imperial Leather face wash
Bowl - glass
Soap - Kent (MWF rebrand)
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm synthetic
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Dorco Titan (2)
Post - lather remains face wash, cold rinse, alum block
Splash - Sierran Breeze
Balm - Nivea Replenishing
Fragrance - Mastermind EDT

Refreshment - Lemsip (honey and ginger)

Really disappointed with ‘The Fat’. Lathered up quite well, I used hardly any water, just what the brush retained after a quick dip and shake and it was thick and creamy
02FAED34-CC40-4221-B7DD-FA0A51923712.jpeg but started to dissipate as I watched, so I took a pic. By this time it was getting runny, tried whipping more, but same kept happening. After about 10 mins of this I added a squirt of Nivea Liquid Shaving Cream to the mix. This seemed to stabilise the lather enough to get some on my face. Shave then was ok, enough slip to complete 2 passes and enough left for face wash (although it was starting to thin a bit). I don’t think it’s me, maybe our water is too hard or maybe I’ve just got a dud example. Oh well, I’ll try again but not sure if I want to do this for a whole month! Nice bowl though!

On a lighter note, I’m feeling much better today, still a bit chesty but definitely improving. Thank God as it was getting to 2 weeks so was starting to wonder if it was flu or covid (been vaccinated, but I know you can still catch them). Hopefully not.

07320BAD-5391-41EC-99BE-A910ACAF228A.jpeg
It’s no good hiding, I know you’re there!

Last edited:

SOTD: 4th February 2024.

f.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Bulldog Vetiver & Black Pepper Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Cien PURE Fragrance Free Sensitive Bar Soap.
Brush:Yaqi 24mm Naples Tuxedo Synthetic.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.
Lather: Arko Hydrate Shaving cream.
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated Lab Blue. (D2)
Razor: FaTip Grande.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With Care+Witch Hazel./Gummy Traditional Turkish Lavender Cologne. /Cien Aloe Vera Body Lotion.

Greetings,

This morning I put a small amount of Shaving cream directly into the damp synthetic to face lather, dipping the brush tips in water when needed building up a lather to the consistency I prefer.

An enjoyable 2 pass + pick-ups close comfortable near BBS shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Cien Aloe Vera Body Lotion.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe and enjoy your Sunday ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:
SOTD: 04/02/2024

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather ProGuard - 15, 9th use
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Kikier Ceramic Bowl
Preshave: Martin De Candre Huile Végétale - Camomille et Citron Oil
Soap: Sterling Campania Puck
Balm: Sterling Campania Balm
Additional Care: Osma Alum
Additional Care: Cold Water

Had some problems lathering up the Campania. The soap produced a rather thin lather, even after applying more water. Could this be due to the lanolin? I have this going on more especially with soaps of American brand. Comfortable three pass shave, though.

Fat Sunday

Face- Gillette Slim + Super Iridium
Head- Leaf + Gillette Super Thin
Semogue 2011 LE Boar
MWF(tallow)
Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood
Proraso Blue Balm

IMG_9689.jpeg

After 4 superb face/head shaves with the fat it’s time to use another lanolin soap tomorrow.The Mitchell’s truly is a great soap.

SOTD Sat 3 Feb 2024

The force is weak in this one, shave
View attachment 116553
Prep - shower, Imperial Leather face wash
Bowl - glass
Soap - Kent (MWF rebrand)
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm synthetic
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Dorco Titan (2)
Post - lather remains face wash, cold rinse, alum block
Splash - Sierran Breeze
Balm - Nivea Replenishing
Fragrance - Mastermind EDT

Refreshment - Lemsip (honey and ginger)

Really disappointed with ‘The Fat’. Lathered up quite well, I used hardly any water, just what the brush retained after a quick dip and shake and it was thick and creamy
View attachment 116554 but started to dissipate as I watched, so I took a pic. By this time it was getting runny, tried whipping more, but same kept happening. After about 10 mins of this I added a squirt of Nivea Liquid Shaving Cream to the mix. This seemed to stabilise the lather enough to get some on my face. Shave then was ok, enough slip to complete 2 passes and enough left for face wash (although it was starting to thin a bit). I don’t think it’s me, maybe our water is too hard or maybe I’ve just got a dud example. Oh well, I’ll try again but not sure if I want to do this for a whole month! Nice bowl though!

On a lighter note, I’m feeling much better today, still a bit chesty but definitely improving. Thank God as it was getting to 2 weeks so was starting to wonder if it was flu or covid (been vaccinated, but I know you can still catch them). Hopefully not.

View attachment 116555
It’s no good hiding, I know you’re there!
Reading about all the reformulations of the Mitchell’s soap you maybe have just got a dud.What i do to get a good lather is use a wettish boar brush(I’ve found boar works better for me than badger for this soap)on a wetted puck and really go to town on the soap for a good 30 secs pushing the brush into the soap to get it right into the knot and then slowly add water into my bowl until it is nice and creamy.

I have soft water up here in NE Scotland and I think that makes a big difference on how this soap lathers maybe give it a try with some bottled water.

04/02/24
Pre - Droyt's Vegetas Glycerine Soap
Brush - Simpson Duke 2 Best Badger - #1
Soap - Signature Soap Britannia
Razor - ATT S1 Slant
Blade - Personna Lab Blue
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Nevis - Amber & Moroccan Jasmine
A/S - Barbour "2016" EDT
20240204_115158.jpg
I will update the photo later. Early shave after my Sunday "chores". Quick shower and a steady shave then out.
After chasing bits of Soap around an emptying tub for a week, using the Signature soap is a joy, overloaded a little, saying that the Duke 2 held enough lovely lather for 4 passes.
Sitting in the Social club ready for the game.
Enjoy your day all.

Sun 4th February

Aleppo soap- Shave pre wash
Alpha Classic G4 28mm
Vitos Super Red
Schick “ O” Clone
Schick S/S Twin- Japan ( 4 )

Not really feeling like a Shave today, but had one just to control the growth. Got a bit of a rash which tends to develop when I have a bit of a chesty cough, so some areas not cleared that well. Certainly no A/S today.

IMG_0297.jpeg

Really disappointed with ‘The Fat’. Lathered up quite well, I used hardly any water, just what the brush retained after a quick dip and shake and it was thick and creamy but started to dissipate as I watched, so I took a pic. By this time it was getting runny, tried whipping more, but same kept happening. After about 10 mins of this I added a squirt of Nivea Liquid Shaving Cream to the mix. This seemed to stabilise the lather enough to get some on my face. Shave then was ok, enough slip to complete 2 passes and enough left for face wash (although it was starting to thin a bit). I don’t think it’s me, maybe our water is too hard or maybe I’ve just got a dud example. Oh well, I’ll try again but not sure if I want to do this for a whole month! Nice bowl though!

This is very disappointing indeed ... but it does sound exactly like the behaviour found with the several dud batches of MWF that has plagued the brand starting at some point shortly after the first COVID lockdown. Without knowing the batch number (which will be somewhere on the outer packaging), I can't say more. When lathering up in the manner that you've described, even if a thick lather is made, watching that lather turn to foam on the brush and even disappear entirely within a few minutes is symptomatic of this malaise.

Talking of malaise, good to hear you're on the mend.

Back
Top Bottom