SOTD: Saturday 3 February - Friday 9 February 2024.

This is very disappointing indeed ... but it does sound exactly like the behaviour found with the several dud batches of MWF that has plagued the brand starting at some point shortly after the first COVID lockdown. Without knowing the batch number (which will be somewhere on the outer packaging), I can't say more. When lathering up in the manner that you've described, even if a thick lather is made, watching that lather turn to foam on the brush and even disappear entirely within a few minutes is symptomatic of this malaise.

Talking of malaise, good to hear you're on the mend.
Thanks for your wishes.
Unfortunately the soap was purchased by my wife, last November, as a Christmas present for me, and at Christmas I foolishly unpacked it and put it on display with my razors.
After Christmas I read the 'Fat Chronicles' and realised that I should have kept the packaging - but too late, ho hum!
I'll keep trying with it for a few more shaves, as the face feel after is quite nice, and the mixing a bit of something else seems to stabilise the lather enough to shave.
Not perfect but there you go, that's life in the modern wet shaving community for you!
It is a nice bowl though!

4/2/24

FAT FEBRUARY

Pre - MWF bath soap
Soap - Hampshire Wool Fat
Brush - Omega 10077
Razor - Ever Ready Featherweight
Blade - Personna Gem
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Signature Soaps Danum

Second shave for the month of Fat February and onto my next soap. I use tallow MWF all the time so I thought it might be good to give a my sometimes overlooked HWF a look in. I had a great lather with the Hants Wool Fat, and my face feels great after the SS Danum splash. The shaving soap is cedarwood and patchouli, and the splash is straight up patchouli, it's a good combination.
My highlight of the shave by a long margin was being able to use a boar brush without getting any brush burn. I'm not entirely sure why but during the month of January I was getting really bad brush burn from boar brushes. I think it might have been partly down to having the central heating on a lot, it was drying my skin I imagine. I'd been mainly using synths for the last month, and they do the job perfectly but I find them a bit boring in prolonged stretches.

IMG_20240204_125410.jpg

Thanks for your wishes.
Unfortunately the soap was purchased by my wife, last November, as a Christmas present for me, and at Christmas I foolishly unpacked it and put it on display with my razors.
After Christmas I read the 'Fat Chronicles' and realised that I should have kept the packaging - but too late, ho hum!
I'll keep trying with it for a few more shaves, as the face feel after is quite nice, and the mixing a bit of something else seems to stabilise the lather enough to shave.
Not perfect but there you go, that's life in the modern wet shaving community for you!
It is a nice bowl though!

I have a new one on order from Connaught‘s to compare it to my tallow one.PM me your address and I will send you a chunk of it for you to compare it the one you have.I’ve been reading that this new new one is good. (y)

I have a new one on order from Connaught‘s to compare it to my tallow one.PM me your address and I will send you a chunk of it for you to compare it the one you have.I’ve been reading that this new new one is good. (y)
That is extremely kind of you! I will do so, and would you like a piece of my (potentially) rubbish one in return, or should I just give it a decent burial once officially pronounced 'dud'?

That is extremely kind of you! I will do so, and would you like a piece of my (potentially) rubbish one in return, or should I just give it a decent burial once officially pronounced 'dud'?
If it’s a dud I don’t think anything can get them soaps to work.I am sure it will make a lovely bath soap for you or the wife :)

4 February

Martin de Candre Original
Simpson Chubby 2
Blackland Vector
Schick Proline
Bart’s Balm Ben Nevis

35C9FF31-9E52-4322-AC29-3C99190F987E.jpeg
No shave yesterday, lazy old man! Today, I had a super smooth lather and a magnificent two pass shave, but again a tiny nick, this time in the crease of my cheek near the corner of my mouth. Strange. I’ve never had problems with the Vector before. It could be the new blade. I’ll give it a hand strop (carefully) before swapping it to the Hawk latter today.

04/02/24
Pre - Droyt's Vegetas Glycerine Soap
Brush - Simpson Duke 2 Best Badger - #1
Soap - Signature Soap Britannia
Razor - ATT S1 Slant
Blade - Personna Lab Blue
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Nevis - Amber & Moroccan Jasmine
A/S - Barbour "2016" EDT
View attachment 116569
I will update the photo later. Early shave after my Sunday "chores". Quick shower and a steady shave then out.
After chasing bits of Soap around an emptying tub for a week, using the Signature soap is a joy, overloaded a little, saying that the Duke 2 held enough lovely lather for 4 passes.
Sitting in the Social club ready for the game.
Enjoy your day all.
A point gained or two points dropped?

If it’s a dud I don’t think anything can get them soaps to work.I am sure it will make a lovely bath soap for you or the wife :)
My experience of trying to rescue anything from GFT Eucris was that rather than even having a hope of improving, even a small amount rendered a known-good soap unusable. Yeah, best just chuck it @Rip my flesh

My experience of trying to rescue anything from GFT Eucris was that rather than even having a hope of improving, even a small amount rendered a known-good soap unusable. Yeah, best just chuck it @Rip my flesh
Yeah, probably wise, I'm going to give it another try, then if no better, consign it to a soap dish - now, will it be as good as Imperial Leather? I think I've found a whole new rabbit hole! And did I mention it has a really nice bowl? (Come here little wooden bowl - I have a use for you!)

Back
Top Bottom