SOTD : Saturday 4th July - Friday 10th July 2020

Thanks @Blademonkey - You should try Timor DE blades. I actually find them to be a tiny bit smoother than Souplex - even though they might just be rebranded Souplex'es.
Funny you should say that! I was looking at them a few days ago, I thought they may be rebranded Souplex blades, I will get hold of some and do a side by side test. Thank's for the heads up anyway :) P.

View attachment 56794

SOTD 7th July 2020

Bedtime shave.

Razor ~ Koraat 14, 2.0
Soap - Figaro P.160 Tipo Duro
Brush - Shavemac 30mm two band Silvertip fan
Post - Thayers astringent / MdC Aftershave balm

I had a lovely shave with my Koraat 14 last night, the blade singing as it cut my stubble effortlessly. Taking my time I was rewarded with a very good finish without nicks or irritation, I'm pleased I haven't lost my touch! :)

The lather was top notch and produced using the now unobtainable Figaro P.160 Tipo Duro, a wonderfully slick creamy lather that was easily whipped up into shape with the equally wonderful Shavemac 30mm 2 band Silvertip fan, you've got to love the P.160!

Finishing with a splash of Thayers astringent and when dry a light application of MdC Camomile et Citron aftershave balm, perfect! :)

Untill the next time, stay safe and be lucky,

Paul.
Wow! What a beautiful razor...and the shave is beautiful too! How do you keep the edge shave ready?

Wow! What a beautiful razor...and the shave is beautiful too! How do you keep the edge shave ready?
Thank you, I strop the blade on a leather strop before and after every shave and that will keep it sharp for ages, in time it will need touching up on a pasted strop and when needed eventually it will be honed on a progression of honing stones.
:) P.

Thanks @Blademonkey - You should try Timor DE blades. I actually find them to be a tiny bit smoother than Souplex - even though they might just be rebranded Souplex'es.
I have ordered some Timor DE blades from the same company I ordered the Souplex blades from, I will test them against eachother and see what the outcome is. :) P.

Tuesday AM 2020-07-07
World Chocolate Day
1AUrZCy.jpg

Rooney 3/1 Ivory Finest (22/50)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna shaving soap (vintage)
Wolfman WR2-SB/Bob's Razor Works Amboyna Burl
Schick Plus Platinum (2)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna aftershave (vintage)
SMVgH2w.jpg

Indian / Pakistani made blades are becoming my go to blades with my vintage Gillette's.. The Lancet Super Platinum is another blade i've had for a while, but have yet to try due to reaching out for my accustomed favourites .I''ll have add them to my blade rotation for future shaves.

A great point about vintage Gillettes and Indian and Pakistani blades working well together, you're completely right. I found the Winner Platinum to perform really well in all of my old Gillettes in particular.

Give the Lancet Super Platinum a go, it's actually a really good blade. I had no expectations for it but it's actually a much better performer than I expected.

A great point about vintage Gillettes and Indian and Pakistani blades working well together, you're completely right. I found the Winner Platinum to perform really well in all of my old Gillettes in particular.

Give the Lancet Super Platinum a go, it's actually a really good blade. I had no expectations for it but it's actually a much better performer than I expected.
I shall do that..along with re-aquainting myself with the Centwin SP which i've only used a few times. The Winner Platinum are a fantastic blade.

SOTD 7/7/20

Back to where it all began tonight. First of everything in my wet shaving journey and a bit of a green theme.

Razor- Merkur 34c
Blade‐ Astra Green
Brush- Proraso professional
Cream- Proraso Green
A/S- Pinaud Clubman

It got me thinking how much I love the eucalyptus/menthol feeling on my face after a long day so thought if anyone has any ideas of good/strong menthol soaps or creams...I'm all ears?

Have a nice evening all.

20200707_190727-01.jpeg

Have you tried the Razolution blades Paul? They seem to be another Solingen ice tempered blade.
s-l500.jpg
No, but the were recommended to me by the seller of the Souplex and Timor blades, the Razolution blades made in Germany are now old stock as they are now being made in the Czech Republic.
How they will differ I don't know but if you like the German blades I would pick them up now rather than wait .
How do you like these blades and what would you compaire them to ? Thanks, P.

Last edited:
Tuesday 7th July

ACtC-3ecqbm2bJYmFBKHzvcE-YBisq8bLzjw8hs2diXAWCs_ucD2ruWUAEY-vlIC2vAVeMOWMYLcRzwdVkO6INsAS0ayxbLXnbqxCjJ88xOPMY9OP1DXMDRLeVP1W4kgOoiwcw8Zm-LoMwmG0_hoZwSfpq5g1A=s800

Wash with Ach Brito Glyce
Lather up with the mighty Mitchell's & Haryali Black Fibre Synthetic
Shave (he says, shave) with Gillette British New Type 134 & Euromax Platinum (2) ... then PermaSharp Super (1)
Single Pass < Nope! Aborted pass and then a single pass
Wash off, touch of Prep Cream then Cold Water ... Cold Water, more Cold Water & Witch Hazel​

No!

That was horrible! Only once before have I stopped mid-shave and changed the blade, and that was with a three hole Tiger. Last night in a late Gillette Tech, the EuroMax Platinum felt okay, nothing special, nothing really going for it ... but then the late Gillette Tech seems to make the best of anything you put in it.

Tonight, in a razor that I regard as smooth but permits the blade to speak ... No!

I'd done the sides and started from the corners of my mouth down and had to stop. It was just awful! The blade itself is reputed to be made on former SuperMax equipment and comparable with their Platinum coated offering. Having just run a SuperMax Platinum through the same razors in the same order that this blade has been treated to, I can say they're a long way from it.

Gah! I didn't particularly like the regrowth today following yesterday's shave and knew if I persisted, it would not only be an awful evening with irritation but tomorrow would be hell until I got to shave again ... and so I switched out to a known good (and seethingly sharp) blade, the PermaSharp Super. Ahhhh! One full pass with that and already feeling better. I know the regrowth will be good and hopefully any irritation has been seen on with that touch of Prep Cream and lashing and lashings of cold water.

Time for dinner! Corned Beef Hash. Yeah!

Enjoy your shaves, fellows. I didn't ...

Tuesday 7th July

ACtC-3ecqbm2bJYmFBKHzvcE-YBisq8bLzjw8hs2diXAWCs_ucD2ruWUAEY-vlIC2vAVeMOWMYLcRzwdVkO6INsAS0ayxbLXnbqxCjJ88xOPMY9OP1DXMDRLeVP1W4kgOoiwcw8Zm-LoMwmG0_hoZwSfpq5g1A=s800

Wash with Ach Brito Glyce
Lather up with the mighty Mitchell's & Haryali Black Fibre Synthetic
Shave (he says, shave) with Gillette British New Type 134 & Euromax Platinum (2) ... then PermaSharp Super (1)
Single Pass < Nope! Aborted pass and then a single pass
Wash off, touch of Prep Cream then Cold Water ... Cold Water, more Cold Water & Witch Hazel​

No!

That was horrible! Only once before have I stopped mid-shave and changed the blade, and that was with a three hole Tiger. Last night in a late Gillette Tech, the EuroMax Platinum felt okay, nothing special, nothing really going for it ... but then the late Gillette Tech seems to make the best of anything you put in it.

Tonight, in a razor that I regard as smooth but permits the blade to speak ... No!

I'd done the sides and started from the corners of my mouth down and had to stop. It was just awful! The blade itself is reputed to be made on former SuperMax equipment and comparable with their Platinum coated offering. Having just run a SuperMax Platinum through the same razors in the same order that this blade has been treated to, I can say they're a long way from it.

Gah! I didn't particularly like the regrowth today following yesterday's shave and knew if I persisted, it would not only be an awful evening with irritation but tomorrow would be hell until I got to shave again ... and so I switched out to a known good (and seethingly sharp) blade, the PermaSharp Super. Ahhhh! One full pass with that and already feeling better. I know the regrowth will be good and hopefully any irritation has been seen on with that touch of Prep Cream and lashing and lashings of cold water.

Time for dinner! Corned Beef Hash. Yeah!

Enjoy your shaves, fellows. I didn't ...
Nice shot.What handle re you using?

SOTD 7/7/20

Back to where it all began tonight. First of everything in my wet shaving journey and a bit of a green theme.

Razor- Merkur 34c
Blade‐ Astra Green
Brush- Proraso professional
Cream- Proraso Green
A/S- Pinaud Clubman

It got me thinking how much I love the eucalyptus/menthol feeling on my face after a long day so thought if anyone has any ideas of good/strong menthol soaps or creams...I'm all ears?

Have a nice evening all.

View attachment 56818

There‘s a few menthol soaps for sale on this listing on the bst. I haven't tried P&B Denali as I don't like menthol in shaving soap, unlike aftershave, but I can recommend P&B soaps in general. Really good performers & I understand Denali is heavy on the menthol.

Back
Top Bottom