SOTD: Saturday 8 June - Friday 14 June 2024.

Dog of the day Sat 8 Jun 2024

Bella
Collie Cross
2012-2024

Sorry if this breaks any forum rules, but instead of posting about tonight’s shave, which was quite nice actually, very calming. I would like to say something about my best friend and daemon, Bella (aka Woofles) who died peacefully in my arms at 10.15am today. We adopted her from The Dogs Trust when she was 4 and have been totally besotted with her for the last 8 years.

Since joining this forum, I have discovered that shaving, rather than a chore, can be something to look forward to and enjoy. And throughout the last year of learning and posting my attempts, Bella has been an intrinsic part of the rather aimless meandering’s of an old bloke about his shaves and dog walks. She has watched me from the bathroom door or waited outside the door during all my shaves, and led me through the park on each walk.

We thought, after a visit to the vet yesterday, that she was improving from her sudden decline, but this morning she could not stand or walk and was refusing food (unheard of for her) and I could not give her medicine. So back to the vet and after much difficult and painful discussion, we decided that we had to let her go.

So I am feeling bereft at the moment, and not sure how life will work without my constant companion. Of course my wife and I still have each other, but when she is shopping or whatever I always had my wonderful dog by my side. So I think I will take a little break from SOTD’s while I try to come to terms with the loss of my best friend and daemon.

But…
…I’ll be back!

My deepest condolences to you & your good lady on the loss of your wonderful companion & trusted friend.

It's sad that dogs have such a short life expectancy. They deserve a longer life, but I think they make up for it by being so lively during the short time we get to enjoy them."
Yours- Barry.

Last edited:

I'm so sorry to read your very sad news.
I feel your pain . . .

Best wishes to you and your good lady wife.

Tech June-kies

Saturday 8th June

TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Bowl & Omega 11137 Pure Bristle
Gillette Tech (post-War W1) & Gillette Silver Blue Stainless (3)
Imperial Leather Classic (Vintage) Aftershave

Switching my pre-War Tech for this post-War which is from 1951 and the first year of date-stamping by letter/number.

Lovely shave with the GSB which is about at its apex. It's been a good while since I used a GSB but something at the back of my mind has me thinking the GSB might well be the same blade as the Permasharp Super which I used just the other week. Good blade, either way. This one is actually one of the older ones before Gillette started with the 5/Razor logo on the boxes and QR codes on the top corner. My general impression of some of the other blades that I've tried before and after this change has left me with a feeling that the newers ones are more favourable to my face - perhaps the newer GSBs are even better?

Splash of Imperial Leather Classic to finish, a kinda "lite" version of the original with a gentle kick of menthol and far less urinal.

Last edited:
My condolences. It was always lovely seeing Bella in your posts. We lost our furry boy in February 2023 and I still miss him but we have our happy memories.

I am so sorry to read about losing poor Bella. Big hugs to you and your family *hug*

So sorry for your loss , she certainly brought a smile to my face . A lovely wee girl.