Tech June-kies 2023

Kicking off the month of June (albeit a little early) for us Tech Junkies ...

Monday 29th May

AJFCJaUG3g7VO70ggywoFwAY04f_zjV1Gt2cAG6aROv5egNUG9r65IGLwCnOhhwKUfhCwcCrd6oMhmtb-pZ4XuZwWPlvCdsu8SuDKu6JGy5EoqgC4fAQxF48I9PveeEAkj31kpldMH5Z9mcnxYOZRdtRrGet4w=w1200

Imperial Leather (Vintage) Shave Bowl & Macy Associates No.5 w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre 22mm
Gillette Tech pre-War American (Brass) & Super Gillette Blue (NOS T4 1999) (1)
Imperial Leather Classic (Vintage) Aftershave

Starting Tech June-kies a little early, but my strategy is to use a different Tech each week and so with June starting mid-week, I'm starting now ...

Tech What-skies? Tech June-kies ... you know, like Tech Junkies? See: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/tech-june-kies.58220/

Basically, "Get yer Techs out for the lads!"

I picked a pre-War model to start with, a lovely red and yellow brass American model and paired that with the closest that I dare to the original Super Gillette Blue, this NOS/vintage Shanghai production dated T4 which I believe is 1999. Mr-Razor shows us a date coded W as 2001, so it might be a 1998. See: https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/2001 (W2) 5 Super Gillette Blue Blades Shanghai.JPG

Straight-up 9.5/10 shave. This NOS/vintage production feels more like today's Gillette London Bridge than the current Super Gillette Blue, maybe a little vampiric (although I got away with it) but that defining smoothness came through by the end of the shave. I expect the second run to be up there with the current production that I rate very highly.

Lovely lather with the vintage Imperial Leather and finished off with a splash of the Classic version of the aftershave, which is most definitely more leather than urine as the older "cock and balls" bottle can sometimes give a hint of. Ever-so slightly cooling, too ... in the way that Puig Quorum aftershave is. Not mentholated, but something temporarily cooling.

Good start! This will be my setup for the week and I'll switch to the pre-War Canadian for the weekend with a change of soap and brush.

Hope to see you Tech Junkies out there through the coming month ...

Same again ...

Tuesday 30th May

Imperial Leather (Vintage) Shave Bowl & Macy Associates No.5 w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre 22mm
Gillette Tech pre-War American (Brass) & Super Gillette Blue (NOS T4 1999) (2)

Second go with the NOS Super Gillette Blue and a little scratchy from the off? Only on one side, though. Slacken head, give it a little jiggle, tighten up and ... oh, so smooooth. Loved it! Did three relaxing, purposeful and thoughtful passes. Quality time spent. Super-thick lather from the Imperial Leather.

Same again ...

Wednesday 31st May

Gillette Tech pre-War American (Brass) & Super Gillette Blue (NOS T4 1999) (3)

Gosh! This blade is sharp! Another superb shave. I'll be switching over to the Thai marketed Super Gillette Blue tomorrow, so will be able to confirm but I rather feel that this NOS blade is more akin to the modern Gillette London Bridge than the present Super Gillette Blue. Seriously sharp blade and super-smooth with it.

Loving the Imperial Leather Classic aftershave - it is very different to the regular (older?) Imperial Leather splash and more like if Puig Quorum got mixed with Old Spice on the two to one ratio. It's certainly sweeter than the original but the leather is boosted. Lovely!

All ready for the proper start to the fun tomorrow?

I only have one Tech to hand - a Canadian gold plated fat handle Tech from the early fifties.
I'll be using this tonight but it may be either a boring or a bonding experience for a whole month.

I have other Techs in little brown travel sets dotted around the place which I may dig out partway through the month. Likelihood is I will never have used them before, so a good opportunity presents itself in June.

... which I have fitted a stainless steel Red Horseman handle which imo gives me better handling and looks great on this razor.

I really enjoy my Hybrid Tech on a heavy stainless Weber Bulldog handle. It feels very sure and quite modern. Is this the vintage shaving equivalent of putting a modern engine into a retro car?

Same again, sorta ...

Thrsday 1st June

Gillette Tech pre-War American (Brass) & Super Gillette Blue (1)

Switching out the NOS Super Gillette Blue for a present day Thai-market and I am absolutely inclined to say that the older ones are a LOT sharper. Present day are much more refined. Glad I have a good stash of both!

Back
Top Bottom