Tech June-kies 2023

I did take a picture but decided it was guff. The shave however, was outstanding.

7 o'clock Bakelite Tech
London Bridge
Hand-carved Ash & Cashmere
Cyril R Salter SS
Superdrug Forest Fresh AS
Quorum EdT

This razor and my English Gillette 'FrankenTech' have become my two favourites. The FrankenTech is an English fat handle stuffed with tungsten putty to add some weight (25g) and an all-brass English diamond base-plate head. I find that head slightly more efficient than the FB tech. The 'FT' shaves closer and more efficiently with the right blade than any other razor I own but the lightweight and highly nimble Bakelite 7 is more fun. Given how tight things are in the current financial climate, I'd gladly sell the lot and keep this pair.

2/6/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - Tallow free MWF (thanks to @pjgh)
Brush - Yaqi Plissoft 22mm
Razor - Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling
Blade - Dorco Prime Platinum (3)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Wars Sensitive

The Fat has foresaken us. It's the Fat but not as we know it.

For the month of Tech June-kies, I started the month with possibly the least popular Tech, but it still counts as one! The seldom seen Indian market 7 O'Clock Sterling. I imagine this thread will have it's fancy Hybrid Techs and glorious Canadian wartime Techs but I thought I'd include this often overlooked razor. Why is it overlooked? It's a bit on the efficient side of things, it's ok all things considered but not a razor I take much pleasure in using.

Anyway gents have a good start to the weekend.

IMG_20230602_190959.jpg

There's a great thread over at PistonHeads, titled — "AK47, Casio F91W, Totota Hilux..." regarding iconic, instantly recognisable, no frills engineering designed to do a job with the minimum of fuss. Products that are superbly engineered, reliable, durable, fit for purpose; other's have asserted that the "Jerry Can, Lego, Stanley Knife, amongst others, would qualify. I would say that the Gillette Tech fits the bill. For today's shave, I pulled out my Omega Mixie, after many years stored away — delightful. I am enjoying the Treet Dura Sharps, they do not quite stay on song for two shave's (head and face shave), but they run out of puff in a progressive, predictable way.

IMG_1273.jpeg

Last edited:
Friday 2nd June

AJFCJaWC5aCZZrbkcXg0Mcw8U7j22EgWHUR-H0XiSG63rCFEG4p5gn4x3XrAYjfwh5LDBL7eSCifEExloX6Plb0mDJSq_Dwec56HyE_8qjRo1cq8DJxic-seI_k-WufOie_6RDXKdxALclzw-oV3_p8RhFLcQg=w800

Mitchell's Wool Fat (Vegetal) Shaving Soap & VieLong American Style w/Haryali Synthetic 22mm
Gillette Tech pre-War Canadian & Super Gillette Blue (3)
Pashana Original Aftershave

Joining @TobyC and switching out my American brass pre-War Tech for a plated Canadian model tonight. Same blade.

Lovely smooth shave from the off ...

Slight difference in the blade gap between my Canadian the the American and I think I felt that in the shave. Less forgiving on the angle, although a doddle to find and stick to and perhaps not as aggressive-feeling.

Same again tomorrow and then onto the British Flat Bottom next week.

Back
Top Bottom