PAA Fasan Slant clone

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements just released their Fasan Bakelite OC Slant clone. It is up on their web site now for under $20 USD. Supposed to be an exact clone of the Fasan including being made of bakelite. Hopefully this will turn out better than the Fine Superlite which was made of ABS plastic and was the safety bar version.

€30 cross-pond-postage included, just ordered one. The head is a Fasan-clone, at 18 grams one of the heavier lightweight Fasan slants. the grip is a bit different judging from the pictures.
To me, this is a more interesting initiative than all the Merkur 37 clones/variants that are hitting the streets now, by Stirling, RazoRock, Holy Black, if only because it brings something dead back to life.
@gvw755 : the Fine was based on the "Italian Barber" slant, basically a pre-war Sonnal or Globusmann plastic slant. Different beast altogether.

Does look good, the original is probably top of the tree in shaving abilities for me.

The clone looks to have quite deep fat teeth? Wonder if this will affect what was a very smooth and close shave.

I would be very tempted but as I didn't rate the Fine slant I'll wait to see the real reviews.

@Whosthedaddy
Compare the Fasan Nr 1
DSC02827.JPG

with the Phoenix bakelite slant
Phoenix_FASAN_Style_Bakelit_Razor.jpg

I'd say they've rather similar baseplates?

Probably just me TBH, will be eager to see how you find it as for the price posted to the UK is very similar to that I've paid for the original anyways, plus the handle should be a little sturdier.

I do regret selling my Fasan slants.

Once I have the Phoenix, I'll post a pictorial comparison with the Fasan Nr1. I'm real curious as to how exact this copy is.

Being able to swicth top and base plates would be a good sign I suppose.

I do like the idea that they're releasing an old odd design that many a person has never had the fortune of using.

Just got mine in the mail today and shaved with it tonight. Not having a real Fasan OC Slant, I can't compare how closely they followed the design. I do know that the screw is pretty short and because of that, I had trouble finding a handle with more weight because a lot of my spare handles had recessed threading. When inserting the blade and tightening the base plate, I had to push the plate down while tightening the handle. The razor does torque the blade significantly and you can hear the blade making strange sounds in the process. This is very similar to the Fine Superlite and RR Wunderbar. First shave went well. first thing I found out is that using a shallow angle like I do with my other slants gave a rough shave. I immediately changed to a steep angle like I would using a Gem or straight razor and the rest of the first pass went well. I tried ATG on my second pass even though I was close enough to a DFS after the first pass. Another person on the B&B site had said that ATG and XTG was really rough and did not cut clean. I did ATG, once again using the steep angle and it was a smooth and comfortable shave. Didn't even get to XTG except for some minor touch up. Overall, a great economical razor. Don't know what shipping translates to for you people, but it was very reasonably priced for me.

Back
Top Bottom