6 Nations 2013

Re: RE: 6 Nations 2013

pugh-the-special-one said:

My prediction, if Wales beat Ireland there will be no grand slam outright winner, joint top Wales and France then England followed by Ireland Scotland and Italy, here's my table.

Wales
France
England
Ireland
Scotland
Italy

What am I missing? Wales didn't beat Ireland, surely.

It takes a certain courage to predict two of the three teams that lost first round in the top two and the one that beat one of them at the bottom, though.

Well, what a weekend. England's result was what I hoped for, but not expected. Scotland never gave up and were phenomenal in defence, but lacking in quality (the full back apart who was outstanding). Wales' poor performance, for me, confirmed that their lack of strength in depth is a real issue (and also highlights the powers of Warren Gatland as a coach); Brian O' Driscoll underlined, once again, the influence he exerts as a player and leader. He is surely the best player to come out of Europe in the last 25 years at least. France confirmed what a conundrum they can be and Italy showed that they can compete and beat anyone. I'm delighted for Sergio Parisse who is the best number 8 in world rugby bar none.

Sets it up nicely for next week - France will bounce back and I fear for Wales. Italy will be on the crest of a wave, but Scotland should draw some heart from their game against England, so could be a close, exciting game. England / Ireland will be a humdinger. Not pretty but colossal. Ireland will be absolutely determined to kick on from the Welsh game and take the scalp of England, who, in turn, will be really focused on showing that they can perform to a high standard away from Twickenham. It promises to be a cracking weekend of rugby.
I, though, will be a Billesley Common watching Moseley play Bristol on Saturday afternoon.

Jon

antdad said:
Well done Italy beating France, I'm already thinking my prediction is taking shape nicely, only two teams England and Ireland can win the grand slam, I could include Italy but can they win the next four games, well I doubt it, and next week England travel to Ireland so after next week we could realistically be looking with three games each left only one team being able to win the grand slam, I'm more convinced now and still don't think anyone will win this years grand slam.

Jamie

Mystic Jamie, how on earth after the Irish defeat do you think your prediction of Wales winning the six nations is conducive to your prediction taking shape?

Read my post Tony, four more games to go could still easily happen.

My prediction, if Wales beat Ireland there will be no grand slam outright winner, joint top Wales and France then England followed by Ireland Scotland and Italy, here's my table.

Wales
France
England
Ireland
Scotland
Italy

Here's my analysis - yes Wales and France could still win but I'm not sure the 'could still easily happen' stands up. If either Ireland or England win on Saturday that gives them 2 out of 2 wins both with Italy to play - in Englands case at home. I would bet on both teams to beat Italy if only because Italy's lack of depth always counts against them at the latter end of the competition. Consequently, Ireland or England should have at least three wins which means that for Jamies prediction to be correct, both France and Wales will have to win 3 out of their next 4 matches.

For France, this means winning in Dublin and at Twickenham which is entirely possible but not 'easy'. Of course the France v Wales match can only go in one team's favour (I'm ignoring the draw as this counts against Jamie's forecast) so that also counts against a Wales/France joint top outcome.

Great sport though - both the game and this bit of banter and speculation.

antdad said:
Mystic Jamie, how on earth after the Irish defeat do you think your prediction of Wales winning the six nations is conducive to your prediction taking shape?

I wondered if the Welsh coverage had Wales triumphing with Kim Jong Howley at the helm...

Scotland far from woeful - many encouraging signs there - think England were slightly flattered by the 20 point win margin.

hunnymonster said:
antdad said:

I wondered if the Welsh coverage had Wales triumphing with Kim Jong Howley at the helm...

Scotland far from woeful - many encouraging signs there - think England were slightly flattered by the 20 point win margin.

I thought the Scottish performance was the best in an all-round sense that I've seen from them in years. England were flattered by the margin, but you must admit that they were damn good.

chrisbell said:
I thought the Scottish performance was the best in an all-round sense that I've seen from them in years. England were flattered by the margin, but you must admit that they were damn good.

Please don't think I'm getting carried away by England's last two games, but I don't see that the margin against Scotland was flattering. If anything, England showed some of their old failings in terms of accuracy and execution. The statistics on possession and territory were massively in Englands favour and had it not been for the carelessness, the score would have been even more one-sided.

Re: RE: 6 Nations 2013

Fido said:
This will be a long and interesting thread. That's my prediction.

That's the only prediction I would be happy to put money on. As to who can win what, I haven't got a clue now. I was shocked at France losing, they didn't look the team we have become used to.

Shurely not...

6a011570aa8d5b970b014e88a45cb3970d-800wi

;)

Predictions for this weekend.

Scotland to beat Italy by a single score (but no surprise if Italy win)
Scotland should be buoyed by last weeks performance at Twickenham, but Italy will be riding a crest. Overall though I think that Scotland have more to lose so will be the more motivated of the two. It'll be close fought and a single poor decision or piece of brilliant play could prove the diofference

France to beat Wales by 15 points
I think that France will be stung by the defeat last week and Wales are furthered weakened both physically (no Warburton) and in terms of morale

England to beat Ireland by 7-10 points
I've gone bold here, because I feel that England's pack will get the upper hand over Ireland and Owen Farrell will keep the scoreboard ticking. This will be an England team the like of which Ireland haven't seen for a while - they will not wilt under pressure at the Aviva. I do wonder whether O'Driscoll will be as influential as he was last week, bearing in mind that he doesn't have much match time under his belt. Remarkable and extraordinary player that he is after that much time out it may be too much (that said, I put nothing past him - he is a true great and a warrior to boot). It'll be a tough old game, that's for sure. If England get the same speed on their game as vs NZ and Scotland they will win. I like the bench too - that is where England has clear advantage. Manu is a force to be reckoned with when the game is fresh - he'll be wound up like a tight spring when he comes on with 30 to go. It could be a momentous clash between him and BoD. I think Manu will pick him out too. Juicy stuff.

Now the real question - am I brave enough to put a tenner on these predictions?

Enjoy the weekend everyone....

Jon

I'm more or less with JDS on this except that:

I fancy Italy to just pip Scotland.

Agree that France look favourites but think the points difference will be lower.

Ireland/England is real 'c*** on the block' time so I'll go for at least a 10 point margin to England.

I feel Scotland played great (even though they lost) last weekend so I think they may win against Italy, Ireleand Vs England is going to either be close or Ireland will run away with it, Wales vs France is an interesting one, i'd go wales I have to admit.

Back
Top Bottom