a "like" or "thanks" button ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there have been many thread i would have liked to have made use of a "Thanks" or "Like" button - several other forums i am on have such a feature - im not sure what forum board is being used here - is this feature possible? could it be added?

I think a PM to the person to "thank them" is much more appreciated than just a thanks button. Then again, some people don't have the common decency or manners to acknowledge a package when it arrives.

Dobbo25 said:
I think a PM to the person to "thank them" is much more appreciated than just a thanks button. Then again, some people don't have the common decency or manners to acknowledge a package when it arrives.

+1

I must admit to not understanding why people feel the need to like posts they agree with - surely you end-up spending most of your time on a forum liking things rather than actually contributing. As Dobbo says, if someone sends you something, a PM to thank them is surely better, though less "hipster" than liking, and, if a post moves you more than normal, posting a reply is the obvious response.

A "like" button button would be easier and a bit less cringy than sending someone a pm about how much you liked their post?

Think of it as an easy way to appreciate a post or a bit of information, rather than sending someone a pm and seeming a little stalkerish.
Obviously a pm for more important things is a must, but I don't think that is what the OP was meaning?

daz said:
A "like" button button would be easier and a bit less cringy than sending someone a pm about how much you liked their post?

Think of it as an easy way to appreciate a post or a bit of information, rather than sending someone a pm and seeming a little stalkerish.
Obviously a pm for more important things is a must, but I don't think that is what the OP was meaning?

Fair point, Daz, but my confusion still stands - I like many posts, but don't feel the need to PM those to say "I liked your post in the thread on X" all the time.

chrisbell said:
I like many posts, but don't feel the need to PM those to say "I liked your post in the thread on X" all the time.

Which is where the like button comes in. You just click on it and it shows up on the post how many people have liked it. Problem is you tend to get people spouting shite and trying to be liked, and others trying to "like" too much
To be honest I dont know if it would work in here, most of us are pretty deft at sending the odd pm or replying to a thread to say thanks for the info.
Sitting on the fence tonight I am.

Oh!come on! Are we school boys too idle to respond appropriately and as we see fit. Must everything be made easier, by which is meant less meaningful, less thought out, less genuine. Just click a button, job done - no effort of mind. Let's all be like the cancer that is FaceBook and social networking.

I've noticed several suggestions of late seeking to change this forum from what it is to mimic in some way other fora. Power to Boab's elbow for creating this friendly place, presumably in exactly the way he wants it to be.

I quite like the feature on another forum I use...it's just a simple acknowledgement, agreement or thanks (like +1).

Edit - just seen why it can't be.

No need to Fbook the place. If you want to say thanks just say it. If you like summat, just say so. It works therefore doesn't need 'fixing'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom