a "like" or "thanks" button ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dobbo25 said:
Thank Christ there is a technical reason for this, Why do we need a button to give an OP a pat on the back, what is this? school. "Ooh guess what Mummy? I had five likes and no dislikes today aren't I a clever boy".

If you haven't noticed we already have a expression of agreement on the forum, its this +1

And this is the other expression we use when we disagree "personally so and so I think you're talking complete and utter bollocks" :icon_cheesygrin:

Like I said before, if we agree or disagree with a persons comments, we all have a perfect grasp of the Queens English to say so in a reply to the OP.

The only reason most people would send a pm to someone is to thank them for sending them something or to to say thank you that they have received such and such an Item, It has never been suggested to send a poster "I like your post" through a pm.

So to all the guys who keep messaging me to say they loved my last post, will you please stop, its getting a bit creepy.:s:icon_lol:

+1

Isn't it more odd that folks take so vehemently against another way of expressing thanks or gratitude?

Start using +1 around here and you'll be wanting a gun's and ammo section next.

StephenShave said:
Dobbo25 said:
Thank Christ there is a technical reason for this, Why do we need a button to give an OP a pat on the back, what is this? school. "Ooh guess what Mummy? I had five likes and no dislikes today aren't I a clever boy".

If you haven't noticed we already have a expression of agreement on the forum, its this +1

And this is the other expression we use when we disagree "personally so and so I think you're talking complete and utter bollocks" :icon_cheesygrin:

Like I said before, if we agree or disagree with a persons comments, we all have a perfect grasp of the Queens English to say so in a reply to the OP.

The only reason most people would send a pm to someone is to thank them for sending them something or to to say thank you that they have received such and such an Item, It has never been suggested to send a poster "I like your post" through a pm.

So to all the guys who keep messaging me to say they loved my last post, will you please stop, its getting a bit creepy.:s:icon_lol:

Wow!! Did someone have a bad shave day?? LOL

That's a very 'angry' response to a topic that most internet forums already have as part of their protocol. One of the oldest forums I'm a member of (a car owners forum) started nearly 15 years ago, it doesn't have a 'like' button, but a 'thank you' button. Maybe that's more appropriate? If I post a 'how to' topic on it complete with 15 or so photographs, well, I'm the sort of person that appreciates a few people hitting the 'thank you' button. You don't need to be 'at school' to appreciate a pat on the back. Anyone that has a boss knows a well placed 'thank you' (or 'like') does alot for your moral. It's the same when a colleague does it too. If you're in a customer service industry & a stranger thanks you, well, that's an even better feeling!

I really can't see what you feel so strongly against it - it's an optional extra, you won't be forced to use it!

We're only human, and for me, inherently lazy. I often read a post on thisforum which is informative, interesting, or I can see the poster has gone to alot of trouble taking good photographs & explanations for the benefit of others - why shouldn't they be acknowledged for it without having to 'write' a response?

You perceive it to be "angry" I can assure you it is certainly not. It is my point of view tinged with a bit of, ok, a lot of sarcasm.
No I didn't have a bad shave either:p

Yes some people do go to a lot of time and trouble posting photographs and replies threads etc and I think you will find that the OP is normally given thanks/credit for the their time /reply in the thread.
This forum has worked pretty well over the years without the need for a thank you button.
The reason I most probably feel so strongly against it is and you answered the question in your reply too me "Laziness"

If you feel the need to be loved or needed for your comments or posts then I seriously think you're looking in the wrong forum.:icon_cheesygrin:

You have said you are 'Inherently lazy' therefore all the more reason not to have a like / thanks button, what is so hard about writing "nice post Robah"? :icon_lol:

Tony, I thought we had one.

+1 @ Bechet and Fido :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Bechet45 said:
Why is this thread still active after we've been told that you can't have the buttons?

No - you can't. End of.

We know we can't, but as free thinking men, just can't help discussing the hypothetical pros & cons! Sort of like being told the fastest we can go on a motorway is 70 MPH, but I'm pretty sure most of us ignore that too :icon_razz:

Because it's exercising people's minds.

Actually, I'm in two minds as I find that certain posts automatically attract a like - it's almost mandatory. Take a look at the SOTD thread on Straight Razor Place and you'll see what I mean - most posters automatically add a like to all other posts therefore it's become meaningless.

However, last night, on the same forum I was reading a long thread on the state of the US economy and jobs etc. that had generated quite a lot of heat. Some of the posts were so well made that I found myself using the like button just to express agreement with a well reasoned argument. I had no intention of joining the debate and as some of the entries were a few days old, I'd already missed the opportunity of popping in an actual entry.

Anyway, it's academic for TSR but we shouldn't let that stand in the way of a decent argument/debate.

UKRob said:
Because it's exercising people's minds.

Actually, I'm in two minds as I find that certain posts automatically attract a like - it's almost mandatory. Take a look at the SOTD thread on Straight Razor Place and you'll see what I mean - most posters automatically add a like to all other posts therefore it's become meaningless.

However, last night, on the same forum I was reading a long thread on the state of the US economy and jobs etc. that had generated quite a lot of heat. Some of the posts were so well made that I found myself using the like button just to express agreement with a well reasoned argument. I had no intention of joining the debate and as some of the entries were a few days old, I'd already missed the opportunity of popping in an actual entry.

Anyway, it's academic for TSR but we shouldn't let that stand in the way of a decent argument/debate.

+1

bli3.jpg

:icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom