a "like" or "thanks" button ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't send a pm to thank someone for their post either Daz, my sarcasm was aimed at the people who buy something in the BST and then don't have the decency to acknowledge the package or a favour that the forum member has done for them.

I think we have demonstrated in the last week we can let someone know what we think of them and we didn't need a thank/like button for that, did we? :icon_cheesygrin:

wow - didn't realize this would have such opposing opinions.

firstly Daz! - thanks :) you did get exactly what i meant!

i wasn't suggesting it taking the place of a polite pm for times where a proper "Thanks" is in order - im sure the few people on here i have dealt with would vouch for me - I am a believer in thanking people for thing that its polite to do so.

I was more in reference to a "Like" indication for smaller stuff. for instance i posted a thread earlier http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-22284.html now as much as i was serious about it dawning on me i that i was shaving for my own amusement - it was meant to be little humourous too. Now 66 views of that page occured and until the 1 reply (as it stands at the minute) i had no idea if my humour offends or just isn't funny or what. maybe some people may have been happy to hit a like button, and the one person that responded i would have liked to thank for taking his time to reply. if i were to pm him for doing so would make me look like a stalker.

However - i agree tapatalk has its limitations with regards to such addons. not sure it stops pc users from using it though.

anyway its all down to the forum staff on this one. it was just a suggestion.

BraveBlades said:
Dobbo25 said:
Got what you meant BB just thought I'd expand it a bit :)

another perfect example of where i would use such a button :icon_razz:

I think its always helps to go slightly off topic :icon_razz:

but back to my point, if you don't agree with a persons comments/post/ thread etc, then I think we all have a sufficient grasp of the Queens English (even our European members do ) to reply or comment on that post, without having to hit a moronic like/dislike button like you do on FB or other forums.

I think a "I really like that razor/soap etc or I think it's really rubbish opens the thread up to a broader spectrum of views.

Do you think Geordie Sam would have got banned if we had just all hit our "dislike" button to some of his posts?

Dobbo25 said:
I could think of a better alternative of putting "you are a prick" button but if I post it, I'll end up getting banned :icon_lol:

+1

Works well don't it?

I'll use the button for the hell of it though. Nice idea Peter!

Guys, there is a technical reason not to. Ergo, we will not.

Idiots are easy enough to spot here since they stick out like a sore thumb. Adding fluffy stuff like "likes" and reputation is not required and in my experience they just end up encouraging controversial or inflammatory posts.

Re: RE: a "like" or "thanks" button ?

hunnymonster said:
Guys, there is a technical reason not to. Ergo, we will not.

Idiots are easy enough to spot here since they stick out like a sore thumb. Adding fluffy stuff like "likes" and reputation is not required and in my experience they just end up encouraging controversial or inflammatory posts.

Well that answers that. Thanks for the reply ;)

BraveBlades said:
there have been many thread i would have liked to have made use of a "Thanks" or "Like" button - several other forums i am on have such a feature - im not sure what forum board is being used here - is this feature possible? could it be added?

It's a shame there's a technical reason why it can't be done. I think it's a brilliant idea, and on first joining, was surprised it wasn't already a feature as all the other forums I frequent have the facility.

A 'like' button is simply a pat on the back for the poster. It expresses your gratitude at the time taken to contribute, and also an expression of agreement. It is also not appropriate to send the poster a PM - this fulls an already small inbox capacity, and is really creepy!

A 'like' button is simply a forum way of a nod & a smile, and we all like people to give us a smile...

Thank Christ there is a technical reason for this, Why do we need a button to give an OP a pat on the back, what is this? school. "Ooh guess what Mummy? I had five likes and no dislikes today aren't I a clever boy".

If you haven't noticed we already have a expression of agreement on the forum, its this +1

And this is the other expression we use when we disagree "personally so and so I think you're talking complete and utter bollocks" :icon_cheesygrin:

Like I said before, if we agree or disagree with a persons comments, we all have a perfect grasp of the Queens English to say so in a reply to the OP.

The only reason most people would send a pm to someone is to thank them for sending them something or to to say thank you that they have received such and such an Item, It has never been suggested to send a poster "I like your post" through a pm.

So to all the guys who keep messaging me to say they loved my last post, will you please stop, its getting a bit creepy.:s:icon_lol:

Dobbo25 said:
Thank Christ there is a technical reason for this, Why do we need a button to give an OP a pat on the back, what is this? school. "Ooh guess what Mummy? I had five likes and no dislikes today aren't I a clever boy".

If you haven't noticed we already have a expression of agreement on the forum, its this +1

And this is the other expression we use when we disagree "personally so and so I think you're talking complete and utter bollocks" :icon_cheesygrin:

Like I said before, if we agree or disagree with a persons comments, we all have a perfect grasp of the Queens English to say so in a reply to the OP.

The only reason most people would send a pm to someone is to thank them for sending them something or to to say thank you that they have received such and such an Item, It has never been suggested to send a poster "I like your post" through a pm.

So to all the guys who keep messaging me to say they loved my last post, will you please stop, its getting a bit creepy.:s:icon_lol:

Wow!! Did someone have a bad shave day?? LOL

That's a very 'angry' response to a topic that most internet forums already have as part of their protocol. One of the oldest forums I'm a member of (a car owners forum) started nearly 15 years ago, it doesn't have a 'like' button, but a 'thank you' button. Maybe that's more appropriate? If I post a 'how to' topic on it complete with 15 or so photographs, well, I'm the sort of person that appreciates a few people hitting the 'thank you' button. You don't need to be 'at school' to appreciate a pat on the back. Anyone that has a boss knows a well placed 'thank you' (or 'like') does alot for your moral. It's the same when a colleague does it too. If you're in a customer service industry & a stranger thanks you, well, that's an even better feeling!

I really can't see what you feel so strongly against it - it's an optional extra, you won't be forced to use it!

We're only human, and for me, inherently lazy. I often read a post on this forum which is informative, interesting, or I can see the poster has gone to alot of trouble taking good photographs & explanations for the benefit of others - why shouldn't they be acknowledged for it without having to 'write' a response?

Bechet45 said:
Oh!come on! Are we school boys too idle to respond appropriately and as we see fit. Must everything be made easier, by which is meant less meaningful, less thought out, less genuine. Just click a button, job done - no effort of mind. Let's all be like the cancer that is FaceBook and social networking.

I've noticed several suggestions of late seeking to change this forum from what it is to mimic in some way other fora. Power to Boab's elbow for creating this friendly place, presumably in exactly the way he wants it to be.

+9

:):):):):):):):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom