Acquisitions 1st Feb - 29th Feb 2016

It's nice to kick one of these off, it's been a while!

It's finally arrived from Bernd, my first Shavemac.
26 X 48 2-Band Silver Tip
d71baef2aa075d7da23d09369fcf79b4.jpg

Put myself on the waiting list for a Mongoose early last year ...... Heard nothing for ages ...... then my number came up just as I'd had to fork out for two new tyres and a clutch, with the girls' birthdays both due at the end of that month and Xmas the month after. I had to cancel and my pain was such that I spat my dummy out and refused to talk about it ....... Until now. Martyn waved this beauty under our noses in the BST and I thought "feck it, you know yer want to" ........

image1_zpsfas0b53k.jpg

....... And I'll be using that La Toja when I get it home, too ............

image2_zps8dahr67l.jpg

Strictly speaking this is not a new aquisition. I bought it back in October or September. It was one of my first (in fact it probably was my first) vintage razors. My first few shaves with it were disappointing so I sent it to restored razors in the middle of November and it got back today. The photographs do not do it justice at all, he's done a beautiful job. If the cost of posting and packing wasn't so high I would send him several more.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Put myself on the waiting list for a Mongoose early last year ...... Heard nothing for ages ...... then my number came up just as I'd had to fork out for two new tyres and a clutch, with the girls' birthdays both due at the end of that month and Xmas the month after. I had to cancel and my pain was such that I spat my dummy out and refused to talk about it ....... Until now. Martyn waved this beauty under our noses in the BST and I thought "feck it, you know yer want to" ........

image1_zpsfas0b53k.jpg

....... And I'll be using that La Toja when I get it home, too ............

image2_zps8dahr67l.jpg

It's a hard world, Simon... but you've got it!!! Well done!

A couple of interesting arrivals today...

A 1951 (W3) Gillette Black Tip from the US. I wasn't expecting much as I only paid £7 and the razor was caked in crud. However a 6 hour soak in hot water, followed by a good scrub with bathroom cleaner revealed good things underneath. The head is in excellent condition with zero plate loss and operates exactly as it should. The handle and plastic TTO again are good apart from fault on the handle. Something in the past has cut into the handle leaving a hole roughly 2mm in diameter. No impact in terms of usage, but a little bit unsightly and may attract mess into the mechanism. I'm thinking of using a sliver of metallic epoxy putty to seal it unless anybody has a better suggestion?

d06a47b5777e10e1cbc2f9814f4a2530.jpg

ea6ce67db78cd30966b3d7725cde143e.jpg

Also today a Boots soap dish along with soap. I love the design of the dish, sharp and classy. As it is labelled solely in grams, I suspect it dates from the 1980's to 1990's. I do however strongly believe that the soap is not the original for the bowl as the soap is designed for a curved wooden bowl, whilst the dish has a flat bottom similar to a MWF dish. The soap itself has lost nearly all its scent, I can however detect a hint of lavender and the smell of tallow is still evident. I'll give this a spin at the weekend.

8327c27bc6dc6b8878019236bf932c86.jpg

ee9b2e6037098aff8d216bbf85865134.jpg

Received my 'introductory offer, reduced to $2 shipped"-razor by evahs in the mail today.
Not sure I'll be able to use it until next week as I have 'committed' myself to some other razors this week but first impressions based on looks and feel alone are very positive.
Love the long and heavy handle.

2502z5k.jpg

2v9dvle.jpg

104kvx2.jpg

10r90s4.jpg

Went shopping yesterday and today ( in between all the rest we had to do) here in Bangkok.

Results are :

-AS Lucido. The sent is that from Fishermans friend (on the left in the first picture)

-AS Masca Cologne : smells like 4711 only a bit more zesty.

- blades : Feather New Hi-Stainless (yellow) and Feather Hi-Stainless (red), Astra blue, Dorco, Gillette Super Stainless, Gillette Super thin

-razors : Chinese Gillette , Thaise Gillette super click en Thaise Wing razor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454418405.421308.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454418721.411064.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454418739.664940.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454418756.968095.jpg

The blades, the blue Gillette razor and the Thai razor I bought in Chinatown. Asked them if the shipped to Belgium, but no they don't. The lady said vendors come buy there.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454418813.656636.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454418813.656636.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 39
Went shopping yesterday and today ( in between all the rest we had to do) here in Bangkok.

Results are :

-AS Lucido. The sent is that from Fishermans friend (on the left in the first picture)

-AS Masca Cologne : smells like 4711 only a bit more zesty.

- blades : Feather New Hi-Stainless (yellow) and Feather Hi-Stainless (red), Astra blue, Dorco, Gillette Super Stainless, Gillette Super thin

-razors : Chinese Gillette , Thaise Gillette super click en Thaise Wing razor.

View attachment 16487
View attachment 16488
View attachment 16489
View attachment 16490

The blades, the blue Gillette razor and the Thai razor I bought in Chinatown. Asked them if the shipped to Belgium, but no they don't. The lady said vendors come buy there.

Anyone who owns, or has owned, or even liked a Honda ...... Is chuckling at that "wing" razor :D

At last my Standard Razor from Massdrop back in December.

cae492a3af218ee30f4e9f729e7842fe.jpg

Unfortunately it was delayed for a week in transit so that this horrible sticker could be added :(

7794647566a1634843fd943f717a20a6.jpg

Another day, another razor. My better half greeted with the words "I hope this is not another razor", I did explain to her that this a Gillette Super Adjustable O3, i.e. it's my birthday razor. I said she did not need to buy me a birthday present this year, just put this away and give it to me on my birthday.
IMG_9483.JPG IMG_9484.JPG IMG_9485.JPG IMG_9486.JPG

Back
Top Bottom