Acquisitions, 1st September to 30th September 2015

img_1739.jpg

Found this tucked away by the postman so it may have even arrived yesterday.

Good catch, lad! I have a Corvette shaving dish, which is very nice indeed but no soap! How's the soap?
Both are in very good condition but neither have been used. The newer one smells slightly stronger.
I am reluctant to break the sets up but you may notice the wax seal came off the new aftershave between shots and can be seen sunk at the bottom, so I had to splash some on after tonight's shave!

There are other - possibly newer - Corvette aftershaves which smell far far stronger and I prefer them to those in my box sets.

I also noticed that in one shot I got the soap lids next to the wrong soaps! (now corrected)

Any idea how old they are? The address is W1 (i.e. no postcode) and I know that postcodes came in in London first in 1970.
The first box also has what could be the original price written in pencil ( 57/ 2- ) or it could be a post-decimalisation second hand price of 57 and a half pence.

Received today a T1 (1976 Q1) Black Beauty for the grand sum of £25 from Fleabay. It was in near mint condition with perfect mechanics until either Royal Mail or their Italian equivalent (where it originated from) decided to crush it taking off 2mm x 5mm of nickel plating. Fortunately it doesn't distract too much and is purely cosmetic. I would lodge a claim, but I can imagine one blaming the other and vice versa, so it hardly seems worth it.

IMG_20150910_224526286.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20150911_022752077_zpskhnyuhzn.jpg

IMG_20150911_022653382_zpswvdob78k.jpg

Kent V6 came in the mail today. If not NOS, then very close to it. The pics are post bloom. Kent used Silvertip hair in these, and stopped V6 production in 1992.

I still can't believe I won this for $27 on eBay. @Darkbulb No spiders hiding in the hair...I checked. :)

Any idea how old they are? The address is W1 (i.e. no postcode) and I know that postcodes came in in London first in 1970.
The first box also has what could be the original price written in pencil ( 57/ 2- ) or it could be a post-decimalisation second hand price of 57 and a half pence.
If that was pre-decimal it would work out at £2.85 - which seems a lot of money for those days and also it would more likely have been marked £2/17/2 being 2 pounds, 17 shillings and two pence. If it was post decimalisation then 57.5 pence would have been more likely than 57/2. So it is probably nothing to do with price.

Received today a T1 (1976 Q1) Black Beauty for the grand sum of £25 from Fleabay. It was in near mint condition with perfect mechanics until either Royal Mail or their Italian equivalent (where it originated from) decided to crush it taking off 2mm x 5mm of nickel plating. Fortunately it doesn't distract too much and is purely cosmetic. I would lodge a claim, but I can imagine one blaming the other and vice versa, so it hardly seems worth it.

With International items the complaint would have to be lodged by the sender with the postal service of origin - so yup, a pain. It's irritating when it's so easy to package things to make it so damage such as this is really not possible unless deliberately attempted.

57 1/2p

Surely 57/2- would have been £57 , 2 bob and nil d - which sounds way too expensive so I think it means something else, too.

Pricing at 57/2 works out at £2/17/2 as @UKRob says.

Shopkeepers (and the rest of us) used just shillings and pence because it was easier to do arithmetic without also having to convert a pound to 20 shillings or 240 pence.

A page from a May 1951 magazine. See Footmans (long defunct) flag prices.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441981984.331638.jpg

I didn't have that much to spend in 1951 but your example is the first time I've seen it written that way - that I recall, anyway. And as for ease - I have to divide by twenty as a first task to understand the price - unless Mr. Footman wanted guineas, of course.

Into the 1980's there was a drapers shop in Upper Street, Islington, where the elderly lady proprietor refused to price anything in decimal, so all the shop window prices were in Lsd. They were also at pre-decimal levels, so an Irish linen tablecloth was about 1/19/6.
I imagine the shop is long gone, but today the owner would be in court for such an "offence", and cast into some EU dungeon.
In my recent commercial fishing days, this was the time of year for brown shrimps, which we sold by pints/quarts/gallons/pecks/bushels. Pints for the holidaymakers were measured in a beer mug. This apparently wasn't allowed, but we could sell "a measure" of shrimps - just so happened to be a pint.
Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom