Advice on Moving House

Well for various reasons the decision has reluctantly been made to move house. It's ten years since we moved here and that was with a fraction of the possessions we have now, from rented accommodation. This time there is likely to be a chain, negotiations, removal men (er...people) and a little bit of stress. Can anyone illuminate me with a bit of advice about moving please? Perhaps just one thing that you'd do differently next time, or something you should have done but didn't. We are viewing our first houses this evening and plan to put ours on the market tomorrow. :-/

We don't really want to move as we love our house and garden. If we could take them with us that would be perfect but the quote we got for that was astronomical. Something around the million pound mark and that was from the only builder that didn't piss himself laughing when we requested a quote. No, buying a different place is our only option. :icon_rolleyes:

OK - the serious answer is to get rid of as much shite as you can before you move because inevitably as you move you will inevitably discover a lot of other shite that you'd forgotten about.

Draw up a list of everything that you need to change your address on now - and add to it immediately you discover another one. You'll still miss some but you should catch the important ones.

When you leave the old place (and arrive at the new one) take pictures of the gas and electricity (and water) meter readings as you leave.

If the new place isn't a new build, change the locks.

To tell you the truth PC the removals firm we got which was a local firm were brilliant
and the price was spot on.
Would have tried to sell some of our furniture we dont need before we moved house as everything we have in the flat is brand new.plus this is the view from our flat.

IMAG0418.jpg

Seriously PC you have to be ruthless and throw shite out the wife was wanting to keep stuff that sat up in the loft for 18 years doing nothing.

Don't take no for an answer

scottymac said:
Seriously PC you have to be ruthless and throw shite out the wife was wanting to keep stuff that sat up in the loft for 18 years doing nothing.

Don't take no for an answer

Actually Scotty I'm lucky that we are both pretty ruthless about chucking stuff away. There is definitely some junk in the loft but not more than a few boxes worth.

Thanks HM for your suggestions. I hadn't thought about changing the locks but sounds sensible.

Oh yes, and broadband is apparently available in the areas we're looking. Phew!

OK, I've moved about a lot.

The main thing is the packing. You can do it yourself or get the removal firm to do it. There are pros and cons to either.

If you've got any leeway (i.e. if the place you're going into is already empty - or will be for a when you move in and/or if there's no-one coming into your place immediately) then I'd be tempted to do at least some of the moving myself. Of course, this assumes it's a local move, short distances etc.

Also, a new house means reconfiguring furniture, pictures, shelves, etc etc. What you've got might not fit and you may need to buy things and lose things because of this. Even using what you've already got requires imagination and a willingness to experiment. (Fortunately I know your wife has both of these qualities :icon_razz:)

Finally, this is a big physical and practical thing but it is also a big psychological thing - expect emotional upheaval! Both the practical and the psychological aspects settle down steadily throughout the first year but it really does take a year.

Hope this helps.

Rev-O said:
Also, a new house means reconfiguring furniture, pictures, shelves, etc etc. What you've got might not fit and you may need to buy things and lose things because of this. Even using what you've already got requires imagination and a willingness to experiment. (Fortunately I know your wife has both of these qualities :icon_razz:)

:mad: I thought we agreed to draw a line under all that.

Wife-swapping aside, your advice is great. Thanks Ollie! I think the emotional stuff could hit us, but we'll get through it!

I've moved a few times too. Horrendously stressful, but you know that I guess!

We did two car boots and got rid of loads of crap before we moved.

My biggest tip would be to use a local solicitor\conveyancer. We got sold 'Shoosmiths' who were based in Northampton and they were utterly useless two hats. They almost lost us the house we were buying due to their massive ineptness. If they'd have been local I would have been in the door every verse end, but I couldn't really drive from Torquay to Northampton to vent my spleen!

Back
Top Bottom