Advice on Moving House

soapalchemist said:
Wow, that's amazingly fast. I thought that in the current climate it was a case of put it on the market and then forget about it for a year or two. Hope your offer is accepted PC.

Yup, we've had an offer accepted on a house too now! We had to settle for a bit less than the asking price, but got some off the new house's price too, so all sorted in just five days!! :icon_cheesygrin: I put our quick sale down to asking a fair price for the house and, probably more importantly, the right buyers turning up. The house wouldn't appeal to everyone but they loved it.

Well it ain't over yet, as there are surveys to get done and other houses in the chain. Hopefully we'll be in there by the end of the summer holidays so my son can start at his new school with no hassles. I hope we haven't run out of good luck!

Well a quick update. The chain is complete now. Unfortunately it's a longish one with seven properties. We're hoping that things will complete in the next week or two and have a moving date sometime in September. I'm tempting fate having packed quite a few boxes of books already. The in-laws are coming over on Monday to pack more stuff too. This had better work out... :s

PC you say the chain is now complete, that implies it wasn't until recently. If that's the case then you'll be pushing it to get things sorted in September as the most recent sale catches up with the rest of the chain. IME the solicitors tend to be more on the ball when its a long chain or should that be they are more complacent when its a short one.

Either way good luck, all you can do is keep on top of your bit of the chain everything else is someone else's problem.

Cheers
Nic

Yeah the chain completed 2-3 weeks ago so perhaps mid-September is a bit ambitious. Our estate agent thought that would be possible but I wonder if they were just saying that to everyone to encourage things to get moving. I hope it doesn't take too long though as my older son is starting at his new school at the beginning of term. It's a bit of a drive to be doing every day while we wait.

Well Nic you were absolutely right. Things have gone very slowly and are potentially at breaking point now. Mainly because some idiots from further up the chain decided to go on honeymoon without telling their solicitor. They're not back until later in the month and the only thing they have confirmed is that they don't wish to move until October, even though there is, in theory, no reason why we couldn't complete while they are away and move before the end of the month. Now someone else has kicked off saying they're not prepared to wait, but I'm pretty sure they are bluffing. Thoroughly unnecessary considering that last week we were all set for a move date of the 16th September.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::icon_rolleyes::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The people who are away on honeymoon will almost certainly have told their solicitor and/or agent or how would anyone know its their honeymoon and that they don't want to move until they return. Its entirely possible that that information has been withheld so that when the bombshell is dropped its a "fait accompli" i.e. its not worth anyone trying to do anything else.

Unfortunately you have no control over what others in the chain do, there are always gits that must have it all their own way, the best you can do is be very matter of fact and try to be as flexible as you can. Try not to stress too much about it, remember that there is a major difference between delays and problems.

I would expect you are right about the person not willing to wait after all if they find a different house or buyer then it will take much longer, if they decide to stay put they will have spent out on legals for nothing.

All being well, by Christmas this will all be history and this extra few weeks will pale into insignificance in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks Nic, yes I'm sure it will get sorted out eventually. I think that the honeymooners told their estate agent but not the solicitor. The agent assumed that they had. Anyway, I am not 100% sure of all the facts, but from what I can tell neither is anybody involved in this. :icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom