Advice on soaps please

I read a post somewhere (I can't remember where) that a guy loved the scent of Arko shaving soap so much he used it for showering.
Surely if its good for the face skin, it can't do any harm anywhere else on the body.

As I said on page one, they're not formulated the same and shaving soap has a high fat content. It's not designed as a detergent for washing. Might smell nice, but it won't wash you very well. By all means, wash with shaving soap if that floats your boat, but at the moment my local supermarket aren't too short of cheap, nice smelling commercially designed shower gels and shampoos so I'll still apply my shaving soap to my face for now.

joe mcclaine said:
I believe the Alkalionoids and Ph otrons in shaving soup have been linked to hair loss.

This can be countered by rubbing peanut butter on the hair before and Petit Filous after.

It was in the British Medical Journal. I remember reading it.

It was a Wednesday.

i laughed so much reading that, that i think i may have had an Accident :? :lol:

sunburyboy93 said:
joe mcclaine said:
I believe the Alkalionoids and Ph otrons in shaving soup have been linked to hair loss.

This can be countered by rubbing peanut butter on the hair before and Petit Filous after.

It was a Wednesday.

i laughed so much reading that, that i think i may have had an Accident :? :lol:

You think you may have had an accident - you can't tell? Or are you saying that sometimes you like to do it on purpose?? :shock:

moodymick said:
sunburyboy93 said:
joe mcclaine said:

It was a Wednesday.

You think you may have had an accident - you can't tell? Or are you saying that sometimes you like to do it on purpose?? :shock:

i do it on purpose of course, i like feeling all mucky :oops: :oops:

@ Smell The Glove - I would definitely try the Lush shampoo bars. I don't remember what mine was called but it was dark green and speckly. Lasted ages and smelled great. Sadly I can't post a link because Lush have been hacked and the website is down.

Traditional Shaving Soup (serves 6)

Ingredients

1 kg (2 lb) mixed shaving soaps: Palmolive, Boots, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Arko, Nannys, Mama Bear or Henk's (when in season)
75 g (3 oz) butter or margarine
2 cloves garlic, sliced
bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
300 ml (1/2 pt) good chicken or vegetable stock
a little grated alum to garnish (optional)

Method

1. Wash and prepare the soaps, removing from shave stick holders and plastic tubs where necessary, and slice them.

2. Heat the butter or margarine in a large scuttle and add the soaps, garlic, bay leaf, and a little salt and pepper.

3. Stir well with the brush of your choice, then cover and cook slowly for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the soaps are tender.

5. Remove the bay leaf. Strain the soup, reserving the liquid.

6. Coarsely mash or blend half the soaps. Add to the liquid.

7. Sieve or liquidize the remaining soaps until they form a thick lather.

8. Add to the soup, reheat and taste for seasoning.

9. Spoon into individual bowls and serve sprinkled with grated alum, if wished.

10. For a special occasion feel free to add sprinklings of Martin de Candre.

This method produces a very soapy soup. If you can't cope with soapy soup just leave out the soap. If you hope for and can cope with a much soapier soup then add extra soap to your soup. I hope your soapy soup is super! :hungrig

Pig Cat said:
Traditional Shaving Soup (serves 6)

Ingredients

1 kg (2 lb) mixed shaving soaps: Palmolive, Boots, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Arko, Nannys, Mama Bear or Henk's (when in season)
75 g (3 oz) butter or margarine
2 cloves garlic, sliced
bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
300 ml (1/2 pt) good chicken or vegetable stock
a little grated alum to garnish (optional)

Method

1. Wash and prepare the soaps, removing from shave stick holders and plastic tubs where necessary, and slice them.

2. Heat the butter or margarine in a large scuttle and add the soaps, garlic, bay leaf, and a little salt and pepper.

3. Stir well with the brush of your choice, then cover and cook slowly for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the soaps are tender.

5. Remove the bay leaf. Strain the soup, reserving the liquid.

6. Coarsely mash or blend half the soaps. Add to the liquid.

7. Sieve or liquidize the remaining soaps until they form a thick lather.

8. Add to the soup, reheat and taste for seasoning.

9. Spoon into individual bowls and serve sprinkled with grated alum, if wished.

10. For a special occasion feel free to add sprinklings of Martin de Candre.

This method produces a very soapy soup. If you can't cope with soapy soup just leave out the soap. If you hope for and can cope with a much soapier soup then add extra soap to your soup. I hope your soapy soup is super! :hungrig

Don't you have work to do? ;)

sunburyboy93 said:
joe mcclaine said:

It was a Wednesday.

Wee PIF (See what I did there ...... "Wee" gettit ) of some Tena Men on their way Steve, hadn't realised you were so close to my mature age group.

JohnnyO. :lol: /

Smell The Glove said:
I'm curious. Every now and then while lurking other forums you get one of those "Recommend me a Shampoo" threads. Cue about 20 pages of people posting what they are using at that time. The shampoo bars usually get a good reaction.

I've been thinking of opening a shampoo bar..... :?

Pig Cat said:
James_uk said:
Hi Guys,

I've got a couple of cheap shaving soup and don't get on with and don't seem to get a decent lather from them,I was just wondering whether its safe to use them to wash my hair? I had a go the other day washing my body and hair with it and my hair felt kina sticky if you know what I mean.

My main concern is whether using shaving soup as a hair shampoo would cause hair loss or anything like that in the long run?

Cheers
James

Recipe please! :hungrig

It's that soap that came with ceramic bowl from amazon,the £7 one,scotish fine soap thingy,there were no ingredinet list

Smell The Glove said:
cozzyb said:
Do not see why you would have a problem, you can use normal soap on hair no problem. I use solid shampoo out of choice as it irritates me the least.

But as for causing damage I don't see why.

What are these solid shampoos that you speak of? And where do you get them?

They're usually just normal soaps with a high coconut fatty acid salts content. As with any soap, they will leave soap scum residue in your hair, matting it, so you'll need to rinse that out with vinegar an conditioner regularly; this is the true difference between soap and shampoo. There actually is more similarity between shampoo and washing up liquid tha between shampoo and soap...

Back
Top Bottom