Interesting.
I've been using both Alumigoose and Mongoose B2 with their standard handles, and the latter with the heavy Big Bomber as well. I've been quite happy with them that way, ever since I got them.
Lately I've been experimenting with the B2 and an aluminium Windrose handle (heavy head, light handle principle), and I find the weight reduction and altered balance lessens any tendency to press too hard, and cause abrasion.
I have another stainless Windrose handle which I plan to try on the Alumigoose (light head, heavier handle principle), as I think that combination might work better for me (if my similar activity with my 2015 Seygus is anything to go by).
Another thing I like about the Alumigoose is that, unlike aluminium Shavecrafts where the male thread attachment is also soft(ish) ally, it's a stainless insert and thus more durable, and amenable to having steel handles attached. It's similar to the Standard, where the male and female are both stainless. Downside is that the hexagonal handle is plain ally threaded.

I should have my Alumigoose 2 this week. They only had black left when they got to my name on the list, but seeing the grey one now... oh well.

Ordered one of Maggard's LE1 handles too, thinking that I might try that both with the B3 and the alumi head. It's lighter than the Dr. Bomber's 90 grams–think it might have been 72 grams–but heavier than the alumi handle of course. Curious machining

From a photo on TSN it seems the blade gap has been lessened relative to ver 1, allowing (or calling for) a sharper blade. Super pro, that is, which is too harsh for me in my B3. I've actually preferred the Kai ProTouch so far.

I should have my Alumigoose 2 this week. They only had black left when they got to my name on the list, but seeing the grey one now... oh well.

Ordered one of Maggard's LE1 handles too, thinking that I might try that both with the B3 and the alumi head. It's lighter than the Dr. Bomber's 90 grams–think it might have been 72 grams–but heavier than the alumi handle of course. Curious machining

From a photo on TSN it seems the blade gap has been lessened relative to ver 1, allowing (or calling for) a sharper blade. Super pro, that is, which is too harsh for me in my B3. I've actually preferred the Kai ProTouch so far.
I never found the Supers to be a Sharper Blade..There has been a lot of Controversy over this one especially with Feather Artist Club Users..The Pro Super is Wider & has more blade Exposure thus offers more Aggression..Its also a Thicker blade than the Pro..I found the Feather Pro to be the Sharpest of the Two by Far..:)

Billy

I never found the Supers to be a Sharper Blade..There has been a lot of Controversy over this one especially with Feather Artist Club Users..The Pro Super is Wider & has more blade Exposure thus offers more Aggression..Its also a Thicker blade than the Pro..I found the Feather Pro to be the Sharpest of the Two by Far..:)

Billy
I first had a hard time understanding how the blade could be wider - until I realised that width is the shorter of the two sides. D'oh :s

I looked it up. Yes, it's .2mm wider indeed, all of which and then some is at the edge itself, according to the second image below.

Anyhow, I received the alumigoose this morning. Might have to go through a sample pack again, then :)

135079d1373632370-feather-proguard-disposable-sr-blades-very-impressive-not-just-newbies-artist-club-blade-specifications.jpg

professional_blade_feather_1.jpg

More people here with AG2 experience? Or even with both AG1 and 2?

I find it smooth. So smooth, in fact, that it's inefficient: I am left with not even a socially acceptable shave after two passes, which is usually what it takes for me with most any razor. Is it me or the razor?

Clearly the geometry is different compared to my Satin B3. The angled side is longer, the gap between blade and base is somewhat smaller, but top cap is shorter relative to base meaning more blade visibility but less protrusion [correct word?].

68893a7ddc3587b6c3bdf91848e837fe.jpg

4fe391e2aeae9babf7fa093f5af4bebf.jpg

15c6ca1f3bd217d8c58565ba16b55104.jpg

More people here with AG2 experience? Or even with both AG1 and 2?

I find it smooth. So smooth, in fact, that it's inefficient: I am left with not even a socially acceptable shave after two passes, which is usually what it takes for me with most any razor. Is it me or the razor?

Clearly the geometry is different compared to my Satin B3. The angled side is longer, the gap between blade and base is somewhat smaller, but top cap is shorter relative to base meaning more blade visibility but less protrusion [correct word?].

68893a7ddc3587b6c3bdf91848e837fe.jpg

4fe391e2aeae9babf7fa093f5af4bebf.jpg

15c6ca1f3bd217d8c58565ba16b55104.jpg

I have the AG2 with hex handle, and found it a bit inefficient to begin with. However, I've now got the hang of it, and it's as good as my polished B2. I do find I need to make a conscious effort not to press too hard, else the alum block test is not nice.
It does work more easily with a heavier stainless handle, but I like to switch between that and the hex.
You might consider a different blade. I've used every model of Kai and Feather, and the Kamisori, and my conclusion is that Feather Professionals work best for me in both Mongoose types.

Thanks for responding @Ferrum. I was actually told elsewhere that the AG2 calls for MORE pressure. I consequently did apply more pressure than I normally do with any razor, and ended up with a better shave: a lot closer to baby bum and no (more) irritation. As is evident from my photos above, I am currently using a guarded blade (Kai's), which seems to be my favorite in both Alumi and SS versions of the goose. I only have those and Feather Pros at the moment. Might consider going for another sample pack.

I'd be interested in hearing from -- or seeing pics from -- anyone with the AG1 for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom